Unlimited access >

Please soothe my ego... :(

[QUOTE=roamingnome;8347395]
He looks very sweet and forgiving.[/QUOTE]

he is very. :slight_smile: That is why my parents were wiling to buy a green four legged money burner:)

You guys have plenty to work on but I’m sure you know that already. When your pace and stride is correct he has a very nice jump. You had a few “ugly jumps” but that was due to incorrect striding, being off balance, and losing pace. He looks like a lovely, forgiving boy :slight_smile:

I think you will enjoy your lovely jumper for a long time. Have fun and continue to love him with all your heart. After all, that’s what it’s all about. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=fishjumper;8347387]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUWA2_pfcJg&feature=youtu.be&list=PL6RFIlr99Z4VoqVjCAJoWhP9Dl1yKhAv5

Here is us at our last show. Obv, green horse, not really worried about speed and inside turns at this point, and I went off course, but what about him? Do you guys like how he goes?[/QUOTE]

Not particularly. But he is NOT ugly or unsafe over the fence…and you know I’m not going to blow sunshine up your hinny.

He is uneducated, quick, flat and in dire need of more help from the rider in the straightness, adjustability and balance department. But you can be fix that. He’s never going to be a Hunter or a GP Jumper but he can do much better with better basics.

You asked. But if you just brought me out as a friend and did not ask? I would have said he’s honest, my favorite color and a very nice Ch/Ad Jumper prospect that needed a lot of flatwork. And that you should not take the fact he is a trier and forgiving for granted or he’ll stop being so forgiving and quit trying. That’s honest on my part and constructive offering you a way to solve what I don’t like.

I actually like the horse for what he is. You need to do right by him. Make him better.

You can’t keep missing so much on a green horse over that height. He needs to be better balanced in the canter so those misses are just deep distances.

Cute horse but the rider would benefit both herself and her horse by training on the flat before attempting to jump. Perhaps you can find a dressage trainer to work with you for a while.

Honestly it’s hard to judge what the horse’s abilities might be from that video - he’s shown at quite a disadvantage.

The rider’s base of support needs work. I don’t know your trainer or what s/he is telling you, but if you’re being encouraged to show over fences at this point in time, you need a new (tough love, hardass type) trainer! Dressage lessons would not be a bad idea at all.

[QUOTE=findeight;8347560]
Not particularly. But he is NOT ugly or unsafe over the fence…and you know I’m not going to blow sunshine up your hinny.

He is uneducated, quick, flat and in dire need of more help from the rider in the straightness, adjustability and balance department. But you can be fix that. He’s never going to be a Hunter or a GP Jumper but he can do much better with better basics.

You asked. But if you just brought me out as a friend and did not ask? I would have said he’s honest, my favorite color and a very nice Ch/Ad Jumper prospect that needed a lot of flatwork. And that you should not take the fact he is a trier and forgiving for granted or he’ll stop being so forgiving and quit trying. That’s honest on my part and constructive offering you a way to solve what I don’t like.

I actually like the horse for what he is. You need to do right by him. Make him better.[/QUOTE]

Yup. I did not help him where I needed to, and it showed. Correct distances is a major part of our training now, as well as me being there with my leg to correct drifts. Honestly, I am still surprised he is so forgiving where I flub up, and I do not take it for advantage. No, he is not a hunter. I knew that. But he is not a beached whale with a broken back either. (fortunately)

[QUOTE=Scaramouch;8347665]
Honestly it’s hard to judge what the horse’s abilities might be from that video - he’s shown at quite a disadvantage.

The rider’s base of support needs work. I don’t know your trainer or what s/he is telling you, but if you’re being encouraged to show over fences at this point in time, you need a new (tough love, hardass type) trainer! Dressage lessons would not be a bad idea at all.[/QUOTE]

Normally I ride better then this. My tall boot are brand new, this is the first time they were ridden in, which means the insides were all waxed u and hard to grip with, so I got jumped out of the saddle and made it much harder then it should have been. Love my current trainer, she is a tough love type and I got grilled after this course, but it was my best (only) video. Dressage lessons are in the future, for him and me.

[QUOTE=Carolinadreamin’;8347591]
Cute horse but the rider would benefit both herself and her horse by training on the flat before attempting to jump. Perhaps you can find a dressage trainer to work with you for a while.[/QUOTE]

What particularly on the flat would you work on? Currently doing adjusting stride on flat and on small caveletti , but other suggestions would be nice. We do work on the flat, please do not imply we do not. It is unsafe and stupid not to.

I think the horse is very cute, but quite green and in need of a lot more slow work over lower fences if you want to preserve that nice attitude over time.

Turning off the leg, having more adjustability and a better, more consistent contact will all help your jumping rounds. I’d ride a million transitions, both between and within gaits, do a lot of bending and lateral work to improve balance, strength and rideability, and I would also canter a lot of poles on the ground, focusing on creating a soft, bouncy, adjustable canter with the type of impulsion that will make it easier for the horse to jump and land in a balanced fashion.

[QUOTE=Lucassb;8347725]
I think the horse is very cute, but quite green and in need of a lot more slow work over lower fences if you want to preserve that nice attitude over time.

Turning off the leg, having more adjustability and a better, more consistent contact will all help your jumping rounds. I’d ride a million transitions, both between and within gaits, do a lot of bending and lateral work to improve balance, strength and rideability, and I would also canter a lot of poles on the ground, focusing on creating a soft, bouncy, adjustable canter with the type of impulsion that will make it easier for the horse to jump and land in a balanced fashion.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, and thanks. Right now, we are not jumping in lessons but focusing on maintaining a soft, consistent canter over walk, trot and canter poles/jumps and that has already helped. Hopefully next time my boots will not tear the day before:) and I will ride better. Again, planning on starting dressage soon.

Lots of work with no stirrups. Lots. You look like a sweet pair.

[QUOTE=Come Shine;8347754]
Lots of work with no stirrups. Lots. You look like a sweet pair.[/QUOTE]

groan… I know. I wish no stirrups didn’t exist… but you gotta do whatcha gotta do. Hmmm… no stirrups dressage anyone?

[QUOTE=fishjumper;8347697]
as well as me being there with my leg to correct drifts. Honestly, I am still surprised he is so forgiving where I flub up, and I do not take it for advantage. No, he is not a hunter. I knew that. But he is not a beached whale with a broken back either. (fortunately)[/QUOTE]

He’s cute and your friend is not correct. Now, I’m of the opinion that friends tell their truth. They don’t sugar coat things, so if you’re friend really thought your horse was a beached whale, she should say that…BUT do it nicely. Yes, it can be done. And truthfully, I would only expect real friends do be this honest with me, not just “friends”: the word used when you see someone some place and don’t mind spending time with them, but never go out of your way to schedule something with them kind of friends.

It actually isn’t your only video. There is one from what looks like the same show and it is actually better, although still showcases the same rider issues. It looks like there are plenty of videos available…(youtube makes suggestions.)

FWIW: I agree with Lucassb. You’ve got some work to do. Biggest issue is you are riding from your hands and trying to pull your green horse around the turns. You’re horse will probably soften up and lose some tension once you can let go of his face and ride from your legs.

Canter lots and lots of poles to work on pace, impulsion and distances. Do tons and tons of downward transitions working on the ability to do them without your reins. Work on your half halts…which you do by working on full halts.

Here is an exercise to start getting your horse moving off your leg: walk on a loose rein. to turn right, use your left leg in time with the right front as it begins coming off the ground. Remember, you cannot influence where a leg is placed (turning) when a leg is on the ground. You should cue AS the leg is being lifted. This tells the horse to move that leg away from the pressure, which is the start of your turn. Release the leg pressure when the horse responds and moves the leg out to the right. ONLY cue as the leg is coming off the ground. You can tie that leg to your rein as well, but using the right inside rein along with the left leg. Release both rein and leg as the horse responds. Do the other direction as well.

Once you have it figured out at the walk, do it at the trot. To help with the timing…they are bringing their inside leg off the ground as you sit. That will be when you cue for the turn.

When you can get your aids timed up with their legs, your horse will be much more responsive and a lot easier to turn. Reins become secondary to the whole steering process.

He’s obviously not a hunter, but I like him a lot as a jumper. He’s quite neat and clever, not super round but not hollow either. He’s taking your chips without leaving legs everywhere, and he’s handy and athletic.

IMHO your main issue is your legs are loose and unstable. As a result, you’re crawling up the neck in front of the jump, jerking your hands instead of using them smoothly and having a hard time keeping a nice rhythm and consistent pace.

Easy fix though! A whole heap of no stirrups :slight_smile: No griping. Just do it.

Love your horse. You can tell he tries and wants to do the right thing. I could easily see you and he having a blast clocking around in the Ch/Ad division at some point. But, based on your video, I really have to question the judgement of a trainer who would have you trying to jump around at 2’9"-3’ right now. I know you are trying to blame new boots, but your leg is really loose…and swinging way forward, which is keeping you from getting off his back and encouraging you to ride almost totally off your hand. If you put the course jumping on pause for now and find someone to help you address the fundamental problems, I think you’d be surprised at how quickly you could be back progressing towards your goals. My hunch is that if you keep trying to raise the jumps without establishing the right foundation, you and your horse will end up frustrated at best…and possibly with a sore, sour horse with bad hocks.

You’ve gotten some super advice above from knowledgeable folks. I’m just an old lady who identifies and struggles with many of the issues I observed in your videos. I am blessed with a coach who is very careful not to let me crash and burn doing something I am not ready to do.

Eta…my favorite video is the one when he gets off the truck at his new home. You clearly adore him! I love to see that. Good luck to you both!

[QUOTE=Roisin;8347960]
Love your horse. You can tell he tries and wants to do the right thing. I could easily see you and he having a blast clocking around in the Ch/Ad division at some point. But, based on your video, I really have to question the judgement of a trainer who would have you trying to jump around at 2’9"-3’ right now. I know you are trying to blame new boots, but your leg is really loose…and swinging way forward, which is keeping you from getting off his back and encouraging you to ride almost totally off your hand. If you put the course jumping on pause for now and find someone to help you address the fundamental problems, I think you’d be surprised at how quickly you could be back progressing towards your goals. My hunch is that if you keep trying to raise the jumps without establishing the right foundation, you and your horse will end up frustrated at best…and possibly with a sore, sour horse with bad hocks.

You’ve gotten some super advice above from knowledgeable folks. I’m just an old lady who identifies and struggles with many of the issues I observed in your videos. I am blessed with a coach who is very careful not to let me crash and burn doing something I am not ready to do.

Eta…my favorite video is the one when he gets off the truck at his new home. You clearly adore him! I love to see that. Good luck to you both![/QUOTE]

Yup, that is another thing we are doing. I went from perching with my leg far back, which you can probably see in earlier videos, to bracing my leg to far forwards to lean back. He does try, and he tries hard, we have had several times where when I mess up he fixes it or ignores it, which I am hoping he keeps. We are working on the leg thing. I have had several trainers that know me and him say the same things about those videos. Thanks!

It looks like you are consistently a bit behind the motion, which confuses his rhythm and prevents you from keeping him in front of your leg.

Jumping with no stirrups would make this worse, IMHO. I bet working over more small gymnastics, ideally with no hands/reins would help you stay with his motion both up to and over the fence.

[QUOTE=fishjumper;8347081]
Yah, I think so to. Normally we only hang at shows because we end up getting thrown together because we are similar in age, but she is kind of a snob, and not very nice. Any thoughts for what I can say about her prized shoes to get back at her:D? Also, any thoughts on his form, good or bad?[/QUOTE]

All of this. Your horse’s quality is immaterial to this discussion. Goodbye, tactless non-friend.