Unlimited access >

Please soothe my ego... :(

I agre with volvo about the no hands thing. It was what made me, in my youth, learn how to jump correctly. Arms out like an airplain, reins knotted.

Good luck, you’re getting some good advice, but you need the right coach to give you your basics so you have balance, stay with him, and stay off his mouth. Sweet boy!

I think your horse is so cute!

That is all I have, because I can’t dare speak to anyone else problems riding when I have so many of my own. :lol:

[QUOTE=Belmont;8348071]
I think your horse is so cute!

That is all I have, because I can’t dare speak to anyone else problems riding when I have so many of my own. :lol:[/QUOTE]

haha love it. I did just have a flash of inspiration, though. Bareback anyone? He goes well in a bareback pad and neckstrap, would hacking that way help? He requires more leg to turn in in, more support from leg to stay on, and with the neck strap I could learn to be lighter in the hand while if I mess up I won’t hit his mouth. Any thoughts on that? What about a hackamore?

He doesn’t have a pretty hunter jump at this time…and that’s fine. He is VERY honest and seems like a good egg. For you…THAT is far more valuable. Keep working on things and keep the jumps small. More gymnastics jumping working on your timing and position and more flat work.

Your friend just wasn’t tactful in her comment (as is typical with many kids) and just commenting on what she knows. A hunter and a jumper are very different horses. My response to her would have been sure…not a pretty hunter jump but I don’t do hunters and he leaves the rails up and is honest with my mistakes and that is worth his weight in gold to me.

[QUOTE=fishjumper;8347702]
Love my current trainer, she is a tough love type and I got grilled after this course, but it was my best (only) video. Dressage lessons are in the future, for him and me.[/QUOTE]

Ok, that’s not true. As soon as this video ended Youtube automatically played the next 2 videos- of your first and second Hopeful jumper rounds the same day.

After watching those two videos I’m unsure why your trainer would have you do additional round(s) at a higher height (the video you linked).

Your horse is cute (I love chestnuts) and forgiving- for now. He will eventually stop helping you after being put in the wrong spot too many times. I’m not trying to be mean, but honest- go back to flatwork. Then move up slowly.
I would even suggest doing some hunter classes when you’re ready to jump/show again- working on striding, lead changes, using your corners having solid rounds. Yes, jumpers are fun but it can be very tempting to do the inside turns and miss a lead change because “it doesn’t matter”- but it does. Working on pace, rhythm, and your support will be best bet to have a successful future.

Ok…I watched the other videos. OP you are not THAT bad. And the height of those classes are just fine. There was not a big difference and they are about the right size for both of you. Yes…you miss. That is why you need to stay with the smaller jumps. But at least you are not getting to the chip fences because of riding backwards and hauling on your horse. You do need to make sure you do not chase your horse or jump ahead on him. Also…grab some mane or a neck strap. Your hands are not terrible over the fences but grabbing mane or a neck strap just helps make sure your horse isn’t punished while you work on you base position. You do need to work on your hands between the fences. Flat work will improve that.

Just keep working on your flat work and a feel for distances (cantering poles works well). And listen to your trainer. Try not to worry what others think of your horse. That doesn’t matter. All that matters is you love him and are having fun with him.

[QUOTE=fishjumper;8348105]
What about a hackamore?[/QUOTE]

OP, step away from the hackamore idea. This is not a tool to use to improve your hands. You will likely simply end up with an unresponsive, behind the bit horse. I have used them on a few well-broke horses with biting issues until we came up with something else; it needs a very light hand.

[QUOTE=fishjumper;8348105]
haha love it. I did just have a flash of inspiration, though. Bareback anyone? He goes well in a bareback pad and neckstrap, would hacking that way help? He requires more leg to turn in in, more support from leg to stay on, and with the neck strap I could learn to be lighter in the hand while if I mess up I won’t hit his mouth. Any thoughts on that? What about a hackamore?[/QUOTE]

I wouldn’t do bareback as a training tool for either your or your horse. You need to work on your base of support in a saddle so no stirrups would be best to work on your leg…

Other than that, I think he’s adorable. He reminds me of the more athletic, WB version of my APHA “Overo Hunter.”

Also, I’m with Belmont. I have too many of my own riding issues to offer you further advice when there are so many good riders/trainers/judges here.

OP, do you have a trainer? What are his/her credentials? Does he/she have clients in the jumper ring successfully competing in the division(s) you aspire to?

If not, this is the first thing I would change. Trainer/rider/horse match is so overlooked when people on COTH start going off about no stirrups riding and dressage lessons.

I would say that your videos captured trips that are overall not very successful. Did you feel like they were successful? Maybe there is more context - it was your first show, you get terrible show nerves, etc. But from the tiny bit of information that I have it looks like your trainer is not setting you up to be successful doing what you want to do.

There is nothing inherently wrong with you or your horse. I’m guessing you just need a trainer who is going to polish you both up.

[QUOTE=NoSuchPerson;8347409]
I disagree. A friend, as I define “friend,” is going to be polite and considerate of my feelings, even if I asked her opinion. There are many tactful ways of offering an honest opinion on the quality (or lack of quaity) of a horse’s form over fences. None of those include the use of the word “ugly.”[/QUOTE]

I didn’t say anything at all about the word ugly being acceptable coming from a friend or anyone else. I should have clarified that specific point. I don’t think anyone should call your horse ugly to your face, friend or not. Some people just don’t understand that words hurt and that there are more tactful ways to put things. There are always more tactful ways to put things.

I think your horse is a nice jumper and looks like a good boy who wants to try hard. However, I would be careful of over facing him when he is still learning how to turn, etc. I would personally keep the fences smaller until the turning and rideability get a little better.

Adding that you really need to make sure you are releasing over every fence. I didn’t see your hands move over many of the smaller fences, just your shoulders. If you do start catching him in the mouth and he gets used to that happening, I would bet that his willingness will decrease.

[QUOTE=french fry;8348289]
OP, do you have a trainer? What are his/her credentials? Does he/she have clients in the jumper ring successfully competing in the division(s) you aspire to?

If not, this is the first thing I would change. Trainer/rider/horse match is so overlooked when people on COTH start going off about no stirrups riding and dressage lessons.

I would say that your videos captured trips that are overall not very successful. Did you feel like they were successful? Maybe there is more context - it was your first show, you get terrible show nerves, etc. But from the tiny bit of information that I have it looks like your trainer is not setting you up to be successful doing what you want to do.

There is nothing inherently wrong with you or your horse. I’m guessing you just need a trainer who is going to polish you both up.[/QUOTE]

yup I have a trainer, she is very qualified. I show with another adult who does the high adults. I do feel the trips were successful, this is our second show and we went with no equicalm (he had it last time). We both get show nerves, but not bad. We did the same level at our first show and cleaned up, won all classes, and we are both comfortable and schooling higher, with out most of the problems in that video. I guess I got nervous and forgot most of my training :wink:

[QUOTE=fishjumper;8348370]
yup I have a trainer, she is very qualified. I show with another adult who does the high adults. I do feel the trips were successful, this is our second show and we went with no equicalm (he had it last time). We both get show nerves, but not bad. We did the same level at our first show and cleaned up, won all classes, and we are both comfortable and schooling higher, with out most of the problems in that video. I guess I got nervous and forgot most of my training ;)[/QUOTE]

So your trainer isn’t attending shows, you’re just going with another adult? If you are nervous showing, I would suggest staying at a lower height until you are very confident.
Also, winning in the low level jumpers does not mean you are riding effectively, safely or properly. Think of jumper courses as equitation courses- one pace, setting your horse up properly, smooth but efficient turns.

[QUOTE=roamingnome;8348503]
So your trainer isn’t attending shows, you’re just going with another adult? If you are nervous showing, I would suggest staying at a lower height until you are very confident.
Also, winning in the low level jumpers does not mean you are riding effectively, safely or properly. Think of jumper courses as equitation courses- one pace, setting your horse up properly, smooth but efficient turns.[/QUOTE]

Agree. I’d be very suspicious of a trainer that takes pride in their student winning in the 2’6-2’9.

My trainer said I wasn’t ALLOWED to win in that division and made me ride all my courses like eq courses. Occasionally we still won because the turn’n’burn crowd could get pretty sloppy but generally you don’t want to be actively competing against those people!

Thoughts.
I’m working with a green horse who is at approximately the same level as yours. Similar honest nature about fences.

1. add in a neck strap to help you with stability, even in the show ring, especially in the show ring. If William Fox Pitt isn’t too good for a neck strap competing Olympic level eventing, then none of us here on COTH are likely too good for one either. If you miss, you have a stable alternative to catching him in the mouth. It gives you something to use to quiet your hands on approach so that you don’t distract him. There is a tendency to ‘fiddle’ on approach to help, especially with a green horse.

2. You may want to compete at the 2’6"-2’9" level for now, if its available. He can do the 2’9"-3’, and is probably rocking it at home, but it provides a bit more room for error while you both get more focus in the ring. (pace, eye for distance, stride length regularity) He has a nice safe jump, and a killer honest attitude. Your primary job is to preserve that attitude at all costs. Figure out the parts around the fences while they are super easy, then you will find you can move up the heights faster than you think will happen.

3’ is that critical height where most horses can’t just lift their legs to clear a fence. They have to ‘start’ rocking back over a fence because the fence is elbow height. Develop the parts that get him to a spot where he can rock back consistently. They aren’t there yet. Its ok. He’s green, you’re young, you have TIME. Hell, mine is green, I’m old and WE have time.

Oh yes. And the 3’ jumpers? DON’T RIDE TO WIN. Develop the skill set that will be useful over the bigger fences. Teach him smooth efficient turns, adjustable strides, good distances, clean jumping. Don’t teach him to barrel-race over speed bumps. You can’t make a horse that doesn’t have GP in him into GP, but you sure can turn something with GP potential into only a 3’ jumper… :wink:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?477252-Anti-dressage/page3

Post #50

I knew things with this OP just seemed off in every drama laden thread. The OP seems to be suffering from an identity crisis…

[QUOTE=Carolinadreamin’;8348765]
http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?477252-Anti-dressage/page3

Post #50

I knew things with this OP just seemed off in every drama laden thread. The OP seems to be suffering from an identity crisis…[/QUOTE]

lol :lol: I knew this whole post sounded off and silly, and now I know why I have been so off put by this whole thread… I wonder if those videos are even hers???

I wonder who owns the horse that is free jumping in the OP’s link?

[QUOTE=fishjumper;8347702]
Normally I ride better then this. My tall boot are brand new, this is the first time they were ridden in, which means the insides were all waxed u and hard to grip with, so I got jumped out of the saddle and made it much harder then it should have been. Love my current trainer, she is a tough love type and I got grilled after this course, but it was my best (only) video. Dressage lessons are in the future, for him and me.[/QUOTE]

If your friend is used to seeing round jumping hunters than I can see her point. I like the look of a good hunter jumping. Round and expressive. If he jumped with you on that day the way he looks in the picture you posted, I can see why she thought that and said what she did.

She was being honest in how she saw it. A little brutal and lacking compassion in how she expressed it, but not worth losing a friend over. Just let it go.

I think he looks fine for a jumper and has a beautiful expression and looks to enjoy jumping.

[QUOTE=Scratch N Dent;8348170]
OP, step away from the hackamore idea. This is not a tool to use to improve your hands. You will likely simply end up with an unresponsive, behind the bit horse. I have used them on a few well-broke horses with biting issues until we came up with something else; it needs a very light hand.[/QUOTE]

The OP is riding this horse in a hackamore in one of her earlier videos.