Unlimited access >

Please tell me I do not need a pony - updated Jan 2024

My horses are both lame (old one most likely retired, young one possibly also). Since the young one still has a chance of recovering I know it’s premature for me to buy a “replacement” but I’m bummed out not having my own horse to ride (even though I’m riding several very nice horses belonging to friends for free) and got the idea in my head that I could look for a resale project.

Well I found a super cute one on Craigslist. Good age, cute mover and jumper, desirable breed and supposedly papered, good price, sounds like fun. Only two things “wrong” are it’s a mare and it’s a pony.

I haven’t ridden ponies since I was 10 probably. I’m 5’6", 135 lb, and the pony is 13.2 hh. Not ideal but I read some old threads here and elsewhere and it seems there are people of my stature riding ponies. A friend’s 5’ daughter who’s a super rider could help me out at shows etc if I’m too embarrassed to be the giant on the pony. Another friend has tack I can use since nothing I own would fit. Pony is used to living out and my fields are free right now since my guys are on stall rest. I have a donkey that could be her buddy. I’ve done the math and know what to expect expense-wise. I think I could make a profit on her with a few months training and mileage. At the very least I should be able to break even.

But really, I do not need another mouth to feed or any complications to my daily routine, which is pleasantly settled now even though stall rest sucks. And why a pony? But I’ve spent hours looking for a horse-sized project that catches my eye and haven’t found one. There’s something about this pony…

Will you guys please tell me I do not need another equine and definitely not a pony? Ugh.

Before someone asks, I don’t want to post her
photos (because they’re not mine) or ad (so no one else snatches her up haha).

Get the pony. Have lots of fun and share photos with us. COTH is not the place to come to be talked out of something like this…:):)​​​​​​

23 Likes

If you have the space and can afford to lose the purchase price + expenses, [do NOT plan on making anything, or even ‘breaking even’, then you can only be pleasantly surprised!] then why not have a fun summer project while the other ones recover…

2 Likes

http://www.horsestarhalloffame.org/inductees/15/theodore_oconnor.aspx

<VEG>
Get the pony*

*says the woman who gifted herself a mini (even though she already had a riding horse & Hackney Pony who used to drive) & now cannot believe she waited so long to have this much fun in her Life

2 Likes

What? Noooo… Get the pony!!! :yes::encouragement:

2 Likes

Get the pony!!! We have a super cute POA mare that is right at 14 hands and she is a fun little pocket rocket :slight_smile: We are going to start her in dressage and go from there with her. :slight_smile: GET THE PONY!!! I am 5’5" and have SO much fun on ours!!!

3 Likes

Pony! Pony! Pony!

5 Likes

Everyone needs a pony! I predict you’ll end up loving her and not selling her. 5’6"/135lbs is not going to look bad on 13.2 hands.

3 Likes

This is my thought too. A pony will keep you humble too, such adorable naughty things they are.

4 Likes

Get her!! I’m 5’7" and 150 lbs and a 13.3 pony packed me around my first event (and his!) just fine. We looked a little silly but it didn’t stop us from placing!

Only requirement is that once she comes home you have to share photos :wink:

6 Likes

I had a large pony mare that I adored (And I don’t like mares OR ponies!) and she was tons of fun. Brave little thing that would go anywhere and do anything. I am 5’7" and was 140 - 150 pounds at the time I had her.

She took up my leg just fine and I learned to be very careful about my posture and upper body balance while riding her.
Also, schooling a pony over fences will teach you to be very quiet with your upper body.

Wouldn’t have missed it for the world.

Get the pony.

4 Likes

Just going to say you came to the wrong place if you really want that no :D:lol::D:lol:

9 Likes

I knew that. But I posted anyway. That says something right there, doesn’t it? :wink:

I hate you guys…I’m going to see the pony tomorrow. With a trailer. And cash.

I keep talking about it with DH hoping he’ll say something sensible like, “What if she’s terrified of donkeys? What if she just causes you more stress and work? What if she can’t handle being on grass 24/7? What if she goes lame and you have three retirees?” but he knows how depressed I’ve been over my lame youngster so instead he says he supports anything that will keep me excited about horses/riding. He’s the best! And now he’s recruited his 13-year-old daughter for Team Pony so I’m really screwed.

P.S. Don’t worry, if she comes home with me I will be back with photos!

13 Likes

Watcha waitin’ for? Go get her!
I used to ride a chestnut pony mare :eek: and I was your height/weight at the time. She did her best to live up to the 'chestnut mare" hype. I think it was her goal in life to be the BEST chestnut mare ever, lol. She was a lot of fun, I learned a lot from her and miss her still. RIP my good girl.
Get the pony :)!

3 Likes

BTW this is how I landed with a mini who drives and I’m currently getting everything for carriage driving…

4 Likes

I can not tell a lie…:nonchalance:

2 Likes

Must.get.pony.

3 Likes

This thread needs to be reported to the mods because people shouldn’t be allowed to come on here and post stupid sh*t like ‘do I need a pony?’

BTW, I have two ponies.

25 Likes

Get the pony!!! You can’t go with the trailer and cash and NOT get the pony …

2 Likes

Doesn’t everyone need a pony? How is this even a question…:slight_smile:

9 Likes