Unlimited access >

Pleasure division vs. schooling hunter division, and question about monoflap

Eventer here; I’m thinking of taking a greenie to a local hunter show. Both the pleasure division and the schooling hunter division are listed as 21" which sounds about the right height for this young horse. What is the difference between the two divisions?

Also, I really prefer to ride in my monoflap saddle - is this a big hunter no-no? I’m not really there for the ribbons, but it’s a sale horse so if there is potential for it to do well I don’t want to lose because of something silly like a saddle. I do have another one I can use (just not as comfortable).

Thanks!

As long as you stay in your saddle for the entire round, I doubt anyone will notice or care that it is a monoflap. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Have no idea of the difference between a hunter and a pleasure class both jumping 21". Read the show bill or call and ask, however I suspect they are about the same over such low jumps…I mean, what could really be different?

Most of the time, classes called “pleasure” are rail only classes, no jumps. But you never know.

Nobody really cares about what saddle you use except the little clutch of teens and tweeners that don’t have enough to do. You get those everywhere, who cares.

1 Like

At schooling shows, pleasure usually puts a bigger emphasis on manners and suitability - a horse that looks easy and enjoyable for the rider. Hunters puts more emphasis on quality/gaits. The prize list should tell you.

3 Likes

Here’s the prizelist, it just says that they are open divisions: http://www.horseshowsinthepark.com/pdf/LongwoodOcalaProgram2014.pdf

On Sunday the pleasure has a “command” class which I’m assuming means halt, back, etc.

At our local association shows the Pleasure division usually consists of riders cross entering from the Beginner rider/low child/ low adult divisions. Pretty much inexperienced riders on experienced horses getting show mileage. Occasionally true Pleasure horses. The Schooling hunter classes tend to be horse/rider combinations cross entering from the pre-green division. Pro riders getting mileage for their greenies.

1 Like

I’m considering doing both to be honest. This is a green bean at her first horse show. Really I’m just going to get her out and see the sights. She can be a little looky and I am not the best hunter rider so I don’t want to enter in a division that will be embarrassing for both of us. Sounds like either one of these would be appropriate.

1 Like

sounds like doing both would be good. depending on the show, schooling is going to have lots of pro’s. if you have a choice, get there early, get your # in so you can go late in the order, and watch some good rounds to see the # of strides in related lines, the pace they carry, etc.

I’ve done those pleasure “Hack” classes before. You usually just do a rail class, then everyone (or the top whatever. Probably depends on the show/judge) jumps two little fences, not a whole course.

Honestly, if you’re going for mileage and experience, I’d worry FAR less about embarrassing yourself and looking out of place and far more about giving your greenbean the absolute best ride she needs on the day. Make it about schooling and mileage and a lot less about competing.

2 Likes

Do both. . . No reason not to!

Don’t worry about your saddle either. Most people probably won’t notice!

It looks like a good show to get a greenies feet wet. I wish we had schooling shows that run three rings! Good luck!

2 Likes

I wouldn’t worry too much about a lot of Pros, pace and getting the strides with 21" fences, they are lope overs that just need some steering. Just get the horse some relatively stress free miles over these tiny fences and start slow, add more classes if she’s good, hang out and just watch if she’s not ready.

These shows can often be fun and it’s nice to meet new people. Enjoy yourself.

1 Like

Pleasure divisions are not meant to be a baby green hunter classes but often show organizers keep them open so a lot of pros take their youngsters to school, That’s not what those classes are designed for - that’s why you go in hopeful hunter or some of the other classes. The command class, if it’s a true command class will be more like “simon says” and your horse has to do the commands spot on. Then there is the combination where you jump 2 jumps. I’m going to be the debby downer here by saying bow out of entering those pleasure divisions - especially if as you say your horse can be looky. Do any of the other hunter classes /divisions you might be eligible for - leave those classes for the horses and riders it’s meant for - who knows some of those pleasure divisions can be pretty dang competitive especially the command class

I would actually rather ride a green horse in an arena full of pros and get my butt kicked then risk riding a greenie in a ring full of kids. Nothing like running over a pony to put the fear of ring classes into your young horse.

4 Likes

It’s really dependent on your region, these classes have many names and specifications, just look at the prize list or call.

Around here and out west, the rail +2 jump class is usually called Hunter Hack and Pleasure classes don’t have jumps. The command class is rail only, no jumps and can be pretty tough with a Green or excitable horse. Other regions may be completely different.

1 Like

Looking at the prize lists the pleasure classes are rail classes, w/t/c and maybe some add in’s like lengthening, halting, backing, etc. Good mover with lots of manners and generally less contact than a hunter. They are good classes to start a youngster in though they can be large and competitive! I am also thinking the “21” inches height is a typo since on other places the height is 3’5" and the very next class 3’6"!

[QUOTE=Meadow36;7816186]
Here’s the prizelist, it just says that they are open divisions: http://www.horseshowsinthepark.com/pdf/LongwoodOcalaProgram2014.pdf

On Sunday the pleasure has a “command” class which I’m assuming means halt, back, etc.[/QUOTE]

Actually, looking at the prize list here ( which I should have done last night, my bad), down near the end of the day in the first ring, there are 3 Pleasure classes w-t-c only followed by a Hunter Hack at 21"(which is the one with 2 fences after rail work) . Near the end of the second ring program there are Hunter classes at 21". Don’t see any 3’+ anywhere near those.

Any and/or all of these would be very suitable for a Greenie. The Command Class is maybe not so suitable. They tend to have a large number of entries and require any gait or halt to/from any other gait or halt transitions and things like reversing at any gait. It can get kind of…interesting…with that many horses in the ring, probably skip that with a Greenie.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the info! I’m only going on Saturday (and Friday to school). She is actually very good at “command” type stuff (she is solid training level, understands basic lateral work, halt/back great) but more green over fences (looks at flowers, etc.) Not a big spook and not hot, more of a “peek” type. This show offers schooling the day before so it’s a big plus; especially since this venue is a very large farm with a lot to look at, and can be overwhelming.

1 Like

Do you really think there will be a lot of pros in the schooling hunter? I mean, it’s in the novice ring, sandwiched between the open crossrails and short/long stirrup.

I’ve been to several of the HSITP shows, but at Canterbury rather than at Longwood. The prize list is the same.

The novice ring, which is where the schooling hunter class is held, seems to be the place for truly novice riders or people working out issues, either their own or their horse’s. Overall, there seems to be a higher level of competence in the derby arena, where the pleasure horse class is held.

There’s also the Henny Penny jumpers (18 inches) and Novice jumper (2 ft) over in the jumper ring. They run optimum time for those classes, not fastest time, which is nice.

It’s been 7 years so presumably the OP figured this out. If not, too late now :wink:

2 Likes