Unlimited access >

Potentially awkward - sweating thru breeches at shows

I get very nervous when I show and ride. I have been showing and riding for years and years and while the nerves are somewhat manageable, a big side affect of this stress seems to be excessive sweat. Even if it is cool, I find myself sweating through clothing quickly. It’s disgusting and I hate it.

I don’t really mind sweating through my shirt; nobody will see it because of the coat. However, the breeches thing is a problem. The puke-green TS we all wear show sweat stains very easily, and it is unattractive and uncomfortable. Of course, it usually starts in the unmentionables area, which looks even worse. :frowning:

I feel very awkward and uncomfortable asking about this, but I figure there are other riders who must have been through something similar, and frankly it’s more uncomfortable knowing I’ve been jumping around looking like I’ve wet myself. Do any of y’all have ideas on how to keep this from happening… or really, just from showing? I would imagine that the nerves and sweating aren’t just going to disappear, but if I could just keep the sweat stains from appearing, that would be great.

YES I have the same problem. I sweat from the bottom up, for some stupid reason. I have found that the TS professional fabric doesn’t show it, and I also wear coolmax undies from Patagonia. All of that seems to help! I still get a sweat dot on my rear, but not too bad.

The last horse show we went to it was over 100 degrees–afterwards we all questioned our sanity!

I wore shorts there to try and stay cool but then had the daunting task of getting my TS breeches on inside my dressing room. I took one of my horse towels and tried to mop as much sweat off me as possible. Pulling on my breeches had about the same effect as getting a wet bathing suit back on!

Needless to say, within moments I had sweated right through my breeches (and coolmax shirt). Nothing like walking around with butt sweat for the world to see!

I have found the Ariat pro circuit breeches are the best at not showing sweat, and keep me much cooler than the TS’s.

Here’s a little tip for you–Next time bring some Gold Bond powder, towel your legs off as you did before, and then put the GB all over your legs before you put your breeches on (just don’t get it on the outside of your breeches LOL). It will make them much easier to get on and it has a cooling effect on your skin. I couldn’t survive in the summer without GB!

As far as breeches go, I always used to sweat through my royal hunter breeches, but never through my supreme hunters. I haven’t yet had a pair of the professional fabric so I can’t speak to those.

I also have been a rebel for as long as I can remember and refuse to wear the green-beige. Tan all the way!

2 Likes

[QUOTE=Hunt’sEndFarm;5016547]

I have found the Ariat pro circuit breeches are the best at not showing sweat, and keep me much cooler than the TS’s.[/QUOTE]

ditto :yes::yes::yes::yes:

[QUOTE=theinstigator;5016564]

I also have been a rebel for as long as I can remember and refuse to wear the green-beige. Tan all the way![/QUOTE]

And here I was thinking I was the only one who hated the green-beige. In any brand of breech, not just the TS. :yes:

1 Like

I have your problem big time, but its never been a problem with my tan ariat pro’s. Even when you dip one half in water, you really don’t see a line between wet and dry. Don’t know if its the same with the green cause I’m not into that color.

I SO have your problem here–not just for showing, but every.damn.day. Every time I ride in this heat & humidity, I sweat BUCKETS. So gross and EMBARRASING!

It’s so humiliating to sweat like that–I have been in tears after some rides just from sheer embarrassment. I have no advice, only sympathy, and will be following this thread.

How about an I Sweat Like A Pig When I Ride clique? LOL!

3 Likes

Many people suffer from a condition called Hyperhidrosis - which is basically sweating too much. It can and is an embarrassing problem which not only affects people socially but also at times professoinally (think sweaty palms and handshakes).

Anyway, this is a fairly common condition, so have a talk w/ your physician about it as there are some medications/treatments which often help w/ the symptoms. If you are under 18, talk to your parents & ask them about pursuing some type of medication and/or treatment.

best of luck to all

1 Like

I’ll join the “I sweat like a pig” clique!

I can do chores (in the barn; setting out feed, grooming a horse, etc.) at the farm in an ultra light-weight, cool, funky fiber hiking skirt and have sweat rolling down my legs. Those wet breeches during/after a ride? I’ve got 'em. The worst part for me is the wet spot on my saddle. I hate that!!

I think in my case, the amaount is appropriate for the heat and humidity down here. Unfortunately, there’s just too much heat & humidity. Gold Bond powder is your friend…

Actually, tan has been much more popular than green-beige for the last few years, so its not much of a rebellion. :wink:

I have heard botox injections would help that but I dont want my hinterlands frozen like a news anchor’s face… whomever said ladies don’t sweat… LIED!!!

I heard that when you get Botox, or any other type of hyperhidrosis treatment, it will alleviate the sweating in that area BUT it will also cause compensatory sweating in OTHER areas.

Personally–I can’t sweat any more in any more places! When I get finished with a decent ride in heat like this, I am soaked everywhere–face, head, everything.

I finally broke down and bought a couple of UnderArmour Heat Gear t-shirts to ride in–they don’t stop me from sweating any less (dammit!) but they help the moisture dissipate much quicker, and I am somewhat more comfortable after a ride in those shirts than in regular cotton tees or tanks that stick to you like glue when you’re sweaty.

10-15 years ago it was quite the rebellion LOL! Not so much anymore, thank goodness!

:slight_smile:

Count me in! This summer has been especially horrid, but I sweat like a pig even when it is not this hot and muggy. I have found the polyester ribbed fabrics much cooler than cotton, plus they dry really quickly. Not sure if TS or Ariat make any show breeches using them, but it might be worth looking. Autumn cannot get here soon enough!

[QUOTE=LuvMyTB;5018056]

Personally–I can’t sweat any more in any more places! When I get finished with a decent ride in heat like this, I am soaked everywhere–face, head, everything.

I finally broke down and bought a couple of UnderArmour Heat Gear t-shirts to ride in–they don’t stop me from sweating any less (dammit!) but they help the moisture dissipate much quicker, and I am somewhat more comfortable after a ride in those shirts than in regular cotton tees or tanks that stick to you like glue when you’re sweaty.[/QUOTE]

A bunch of people from my old barn all left at the same time and we are all with new coaches who work us a lot harder, and we were all joking at the show this weekend how we are soooo embaressed after our lessons because of how much we sweat since we are not used to working so hard in our lessons. I try and ride early in the morning now or later on to avoid the sun.

When I sweat, my face goes BEET red, which is humiliating to say the least…I also sweat like a pig, so I’m in on this clique!

Can I put that as my sig line??;):winkgrin::lol:

I got an email from The Farmhouse just a couple of days ago, advertising Coolmax breeches. Might be worth checking out.

shower to shower powder is your new friend. After you shower and towel dry- rub the powder on your skin. It does wonders to absorb the sweat. When I played field hockey, I would pour it down my shirt before games.

Count me in!!

I also HATE the wet saddle spot. Gross…I have to clean/towel the seat EVERY TIME I ride!