Unlimited access >

Potentially awkward - sweating thru breeches at shows

I have the both the Ariat Fairfax front zips and the Ariat Pro-Circuits and have never had a problem.

I school in the Fairfax’s and show in the Pro Circuits.

The humidity down here is so bad, its hard not to have butt sweat.

I don’t even actually think it is my butt that sweats, I think that it is sweat that drips down my back and into butt crack canyon. So embarassing. That’s why I wear jeans most days even in the summer. Dark denim keeps the butt sweat confidential :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=theblondejumper;5040385]
So people have mentioned DrySol but does anyone know of any other good anti-perspirants? I’m so tired of not only sweating a lot while riding but also just sweating all the damn long day! And when I’m thinking about it, I sweat even MORE. I’ll never forget, about two years ago I was wearing a thin cotton shirt (oh gee that was smart) while hanging out with friends…went to the bathroom and had sweat stains halfway down my shirt under my arms! I grabbed a hoodie real fast. Super embarassing.

So glad that all of us can commiserate together![/QUOTE]

YEPPERS Certin-Dry it is on the shelf at walmart with the others :wink: It is perscription strength and like DySol you put it on at night and don’t sweat at all through the day. I would sweat randomly … even in the dead of winter, doing nothing! Use this stuff now and again and it works GREAT!

I wouldn’t worry about it…Everybody sweats! I’d be more worried if someone wasn’t sweating in hot weather.

Seriously, you’re not the only person sweating, we’ve all been there. I LIVE there. I can hardly walk out of the house without being drenched. With 90+ degrees and 100% humidity most of the year, I don’t think twice and neither do the multitudes of other sweaty people. :winkgrin:

I’m also in the very sweaty sticky category!

I have discovered:

Things to Bring to a Show:
~ 2-4 fresh show shirts
~ If you can swing it, 2 jackets
~ 2-3 pairs of breeches.
~ 3-6 pairs of fresh socks, or more. Foot care is VERY important.
~ fresh undies - the same # of undies as you have classes, plus one (you need fresh undies to drive home in!). So, if you have 10 classes, then bring 11 undies.
~ Box of Panty Liners (I prefer Always Longs) - hey I know some men even …
~ Gold Bond body powder or other preferred body powder.
~ Aluminum based deodarant powder stick

So my show routine is:

1. Before dressing, pour liberal Gold Bond powder all over your back, chest, legs, and down the “crack” nether-regions. Apply the deodarant stick to your back and chest. Apply a panty liner and additional liberal Gold Bond to the undies before pulling up.

2. Since sweat follows gravity, it tends to pool into the netherest of nether regions… Replace panties and liners in between classes and replace liners even more frequently. The liners are great for soaking up sweat, but they only work as often as you change them! Hint, apply the liners first, then the powder, otherwise the liners won’t stick and next to sweatiness, there’s nothing worse than migrating liners … :eek: From a women’s health perspective, it is extremely important to keep those parts DRY! Yeast and other sorts of fungal infections just have a heyday with too moist of conditions!

3. Change the shirt in between classes. Hang up the wet one to dry. You can recycle the shirts once as long as it is dry again before you put it back on. Only a dry shirt can keep you dry.

4. Use wet naps or pre-moistened body wipes cloths to freshen yourself up in between classes, then reapply your body powder, and dry clothing.

5. Every time you have to use the bathroom facilities, change your pantiliner, apply fresh powder to your undies. If your undies are damp, replace the whole works.

6. Get a converter thingy so that you can plug in a little fan into your cigarette lighter in your vehicle. Have an outdoor/weather type extension cord so you can put your fan in your tack room in your trailer - and as you are preparing for a class stand in front of the fan set at high speed to keep your skin dry while you dress. It really helps.

7. Jacket off in between classes and hang in front of the fan.

8. Keep the fan blowing on your hanging clothes for faster drying times.

This is the only way I know to keep relatively dry at a horse show in hot humid weather. It’s worth the effort.

I also keep a cooler of ice and put ice wraps on the horses’ legs in between classes. It keeps them from getting heat puffs.

You can use an ice pack on the crux of your neck if you’re feeling over-heated. To the person who says their face gets bright red …this is a warning sign you are overheated (and then some) and heading for heat exhaustion, so you need to get yourself cooled and quickly, so I suggest you bring personal ice packs and place them on your neck, even drop one on your lap whilst sitting down, place on your abdomen, under your armpits, whatever it takes to get cooled down.

In between classes, I also replace the saddle pad with a fresh dry one and hang up the wet one to dry. Wet pads are uncomfortable for the horse.

1 Like

We in the South are used to sweating everywhere, and I have never even noticed people’s wet bottoms as it is the norm! The only time I use powder is when I pull my boots on as it makes it MUCH easier to get them off~

[QUOTE=LuvMyTB;5017436]

How about an I Sweat Like A Pig When I Ride clique? LOL![/QUOTE]

I do have one small problem with your awesome clique. Pigs don’t sweat! :eek: That is why they roll around in the mud. :yes: To keep cool. It’s kind of like “sweating like a dog” but…dogs don’t sweat!

Large Badge Holder

Since I am a member of the “sweat like a pig club” and used to often sweat through my show jacket until my number got soaking wet, I went to the office supply store and bought some large clear laminate badge holders. My number always goes in one and stays through it the whole time I am showing. It is a cheap fix for that problem!

I also have soaking wet hair and well as a soaking wet helmet when I am done. I spray my helmet immediately with Fabreeze and then when it is dry, I put a dryer fabric softener sheet it in. Often times, I stick it on the dash of my truck so it will dry out all the way.

Is anyone else finding that the TS trophy hunters show the butt sweat more than the TS low rise? Is it because I have an older low rise fabric that I haven’t noticed? Any additional thoughts to hiding the sweat?

I’m here as another SA (sweaters anonymous)

Last year i finally got tired of sweating through every dag-gone pair of breeches, and always right on my butt. I had a clinic coming up with Wofford and did not want to have to be thinking about sweaty-butt instead of focusing on the clinic. So i made my favorite invention yet: Sham-wondies! that’s right kids. I took a sham-wow (super absorbant according to the commercials right? soaks up anything in seconds!) and fashioned a pair of undies with elastic sides. Now, woudl i wear these daily? heck no! but, they worked great for the clinic. And no panty lines! :lol:_

On a side note, Horze full seat breeches actually are pretty good at not showing too much sweat.

[QUOTE=theinstigator;5016564]
Here’s a little tip for you–Next time bring some Gold Bond powder, towel your legs off as you did before, and then put the GB all over your legs before you put your breeches on… [/QUOTE]

That makes me think of the Friends episode with Ross and the leather pants.

Hi, gang! With summer already in full swing here in South Florida, thought I’d revive this thread. Looks like Ariat Pro Circuit and All Circuit have been pretty much phased out and not wearing a size 22 breech I’m having a hard time finding them. Any of Ariat’s current models that anyone would recommend that is similar sweat-proof as those kinds? Any other kinds of breeches you recommend? Thanks!!! As a definite hyperhidrosis sufferer/member of the sweaty rider club, your help is appreciated :slight_smile:

I don’t know what model they are, but I have some Equine Couture that don’t show sweat. I love them. A good way to test is to spritz just a tiny bit of water on breeches and see if it shows. Some don’t really show, but others show it RIGHT away.

They don’t fit me right, so I’ve never bought a pair, but I bet the Treadsteps with the NanoSphere technology won’t show sweat!

Thanks, I will check those out! Part of the challenge is that where I live is one of the more horse-challenged areas of South Fl and there are no tack stores in close proximity, so I either need to wait until I’m in Wellington or order online, so it makes it harder to check out different fits and different fabrics conveniently. But that’s a definite first-world problem, so Dover and Smartpak may be hearing from me soon!

SBC Club - Sweaty Butt Crack! I don’t show hunters, so wear dark blue or black breeches, that’s the trick! Or panty liners up high in the back works, too.

Definitely look into the Tredsteps with NanoSphere. I wore the Pro Circuits for a long time (based off the recommendations on this thread!) but they are a poor fit for me. The Tredsteps work a lot better with my body type, are comfy and don’t show the sweat. It’s really neat, you throw water at them and it just beads off. I have the Symphony #1s and they are super flattering! The price tag is hard to swallow but for what they offer it’s worth it.

I would love to find some schooling (aka:cheap!) breeches that hide the sweat, besides the Tropical Riders (really hated the ones I got) and TuffRider Aerocool (would be perfect if they updated the super high waistband!) Paradox, if you have a spare moment any chance you could check on the model of your Equine Coutures?

Since this thread is so useful for hot weather riding, I just want to make a shout out for the FITS Zephyr show coat. I’m waiting for mine to arrive but it looks like a fabulous coat for hot weather! Will update once it’s here, and once the weather actually warms up! https://www.smartpakequine.com/fits-zephyr-show-coat-11555p

[QUOTE=Across Sicily;7568458]
Definitely look into the Tredsteps with NanoSphere. I wore the Pro Circuits for a long time (based off the recommendations on this thread!) but they are a poor fit for me. The Tredsteps work a lot better with my body type, are comfy and don’t show the sweat. It’s really neat, you throw water at them and it just beads off. I have the Symphony #1s and they are super flattering! The price tag is hard to swallow but for what they offer it’s worth it.

I would love to find some schooling (aka:cheap!) breeches that hide the sweat, besides the Tropical Riders (really hated the ones I got) and TuffRider Aerocool (would be perfect if they updated the super high waistband!) Paradox, if you have a spare moment any chance you could check on the model of your Equine Coutures?

Since this thread is so useful for hot weather riding, I just want to make a shout out for the FITS Zephyr show coat. I’m waiting for mine to arrive but it looks like a fabulous coat for hot weather! Will update once it’s here, and once the weather actually warms up! https://www.smartpakequine.com/fits-zephyr-show-coat-11555p[/QUOTE]

Yep, I will check. Give me a day or so. I’m recovering from a broken ankle/surgery and my computer is upstairs, so next time I go to my closet I will look at them, and then I’ll probably be back at the computer tomorrow! Once I go downstairs, I’m not hobbling up again today. haha. :slight_smile:

And I’m also going to check out the Tredsteps!

here we go again! a new year and more butt sweat!