Unlimited access >

Potentially awkward - sweating thru breeches at shows

Bumping this up…going to be HOT this weekend and of course I’m showing. Anyone else? How are my fellow pig-sweaters holding up? :slight_smile:

Santios.

I don’t know if I qualify as a pig-sweater, but…

monkey butt powder plus ladies boxer-briefs (like the men’s!) equals happy ass. :lol:

It’s been a rough season so far. I literally look through my breeches before a lesson and flick water on them and see which holds the least amount of water!

I have a lesson scheduled this Saturday afternoon and the forecast is sunny and 99º. I am not looking forward to that. Lots of water to drink, I guess, and just deal with it. But I, too, hate the wet saddle.

Count me in the clique.

doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-35366&ids=424291857 Ariat All Circuit all the way ladies! These are the coolest breeches I’ve ever worn. They don’t hold water or sweat so no telltale pools on your butt!!

Ok, its only awkward if you make it awkward! Everyone does it, don’t sweat it! (literally.) :slight_smile:

Count me in, too. I sweat like a pig. Heaven help us in hot, humid weather, I about flood the place. I’m trying to figure out what shirt I can wear to show dogs without having huge sweat marks. I dump baby powder in my underwear/pants and down my shirt, which does help. I think some of us are just naturally hot blooded! :slight_smile:

After I ride, when I take off my hair net and ponytail holder, I literally drip on the barn aisle behind me. So, needless to say, I’m a sweater (I like typing that because it makes me sound like clothing).

Full seats are the worst (I ride primarily dressage…but show jump as well), and even the lighter fabrics don’t stop the sweating…just the ill after-effects of the sweat. I love Gold Bond and the Monistat anti-chafing gel. But, I don’t think there IS such an invention to make me all fresh and flower-like after a ride…like those riders who can fluff up their hair and head off to dinner after the barn. :slight_smile:

Thank you, OP, for risking embarrasment and posting this! It’s been really informative – gonna have to try those Ariats and the GB powder.

Just as an aside, with this heat, it’s not just the riding that does it. Apparently sitting on leather of any kind will. I found, upon getting out of my car at Dover, that I’d completely sweated through my breeches. As in totally soaking wet, and very VISIBLY so, butt.

What makes this story so memorable is that beloved 9 yr old DD was with me. The second we walked in the door she announced to everyone in Dover, “My Mom wet her pants!!!”

Miraculously, the child still lives. :smiley:

I’m SO with you, girl!!!

My horse and I got an 87 score one time. I bought the video. It was just LOVELY until the view was from behind! A nice sweat stripe down my butt!!! :lol: :lol:

I love that this thread is still going! The suggestions in here have been SO helpful to me… and obviously to others.

Donkaloose: Give Gold Bond powder a shot! Has a nice cooling effect where baby powder does not. Also, give anything dark and made of some kind of technical fabric a go. Barring that, certain poly blends don’t really show the sweat. 100% cotton feels amazing, but it sure shows the sweat quickly.

My Pro Circuits are still holding up beautifully and I ride more confidently in the ring knowing I don’t have a sweaty bum that everyone can see. Still have a sweaty bum, but no one can tell! YES!

The TuffRider Aerocools that I mentioned earlier have been helpful, too, and besides being magically slimming, also don’t show much as far as sweat goes.

Gold Bond powder still in vogue.

I am also with the poster that said her hair is wet enough to drip when she takes off her helmet… despite investing entirely too much money in one of those super fancy newfangled vented show helmets, my hair is still all nasty. Fortunately, my hair is short and they make hats. And towels. Problem mostly solved. If anyone asks, I dunked my head while hosing off my horse. :wink:

Riding with a feminine pad is also useful for avoiding the swamp. At least it cuts WAY down on sweat marks on the saddle and that oh-so-appealing “stripe”. Side note on that, has anyone tried Depends? I am hesitant to BUY them, much less try them out. I have a terrible feeling you’d look like you were wearing diapers… but it sure would soak up the sweat from that region.

Unfortunately if it’s 90+ degrees I think all bets are off! At that point, it’s just cruel to expect anyone to remain cool and dry. :wink: If it comes to the point that you’re just that concerned about it (that would be me…), give your britches a nice dunk in the bathtub, wring them out real well and go to the barn. At least the wet spots won’t show up, and you might even stay a little cooler! Can’t be too great for the saddle, but it gives you an excuse to give it a nice condition.

Are the Ariat Pro Circuit and All Circuit equally good at camoflaging the sweat?

^^^All Circuits definitely hide the sweat, it evaporates off the fabric so you don’t have marks like you do on heavier cotton breeches. I don’t have Pro Circuits so I can comment on those.

Count me in. I have to wipe the sweat off my face with polos as I wrap them. Ew. And I’m drenched after tacking up. Once I get on, all bets are off. Surprisingly, though, I’m not afflicted with butt-sweat. Just back-sweat, and stomach-sweat, and face-sweat, and leg-sweat, and chest-sweat, and head-sweat, and…

I sweat even when I am about to go to bed at night!! Its nuts, I have a window open most of the winter.

Anti Monkey Butt powder (I use the pink one) is the only remedy I have found that works all day for swamp ass and chub rub (hello giant thighs). I even use it under my arms instead of antiperspirant sometimes b/c the OTC stuff gives me a really prickly heat when its super hot out. I love this product and swear by it up and down.

I wear dark pants to ride in all yr round, but showing will be a test when I actually get there with what I am going to end up wearing…good tips though!

Ball caps are made for those of us who sweat when riding and have horrible helmet hair. A towel and a ball cap — solves that problem. But I always used to spritz the inside of my helmet with Lysol spray when I took it off — kept it from getting nasty and stinky — and one can would last years.

My problem with sweating is not swamp butt, it’s swamp boob!:lol:

If I could find a bra with air conditioning I would be in heaven. I hate wet sweaty clothing!! :no:

[QUOTE=aahlter;5575449]
RedCedar,

As the person who started this thread, I feel your pain.

Thanks to suggestions from posters, I’ve personally learned there are a few things you can do to avoid wearing black breeches at all times. :wink:

The Ariat Pro Circuits really DO work as well as described. I all but sprinted to my nearest tack shop and bought some after reading the suggestion here and showed the next incredibly hot weekend wearing them. The breeches were WET but you couldn’t tell. At all. At any point. I asked multiple - close :wink: - friends. There was no evidence of swamp-butt in my pictures or videos. They are miraculous and worth every single penny. There are several online shops that have the embossed (patterned) version of these breeches on sale for around $60. Can’t show in them, but they are nice for riding at home!

The TuffRider Aerocools are supposedly very good as well. I bought some over winter in preparation for the hot summer months so I can’t weigh in on them just yet, but other posters seem to love them! Best of all, they’re cheap![/QUOTE]

I am ordering the Ariats as I type this and will let you know how they work out! Now, for my underarms … :wink:

[QUOTE=DuffyAgain;5691832]
I’m SO with you, girl!!!

My horse and I got an 87 score one time. I bought the video. It was just LOVELY until the view was from behind! A nice sweat stripe down my butt!!! :lol: :lol:[/QUOTE]

OMG! :no:

I love you guys

I really do love you guys for your posts! It really is VERY embarassing to look like you crapped in your pants. :stuck_out_tongue: