Unlimited access >

Potentially awkward - sweating thru breeches at shows

I sweat quite a bit. I have found with different fabrics I do better.

The Ariat Professionals the pattern isn’t as bad as say Devonaire’s.

I ride with mostly over 30 year olds and we tell each other. :smiley:

omg I love you for making this thread. I never had a problem with this until this year and now I’m really self-conscious about it. I feel so much better knowing I’m not the only one. I have hyperhydrosis and I do get the botox injections for it, but I can’t get them all over my entire body. The doctor who treats me for that also tried giving me pills that were supposed to help dry up all areas but it gave me such bad dry mouth that I was drinking water pretty much nonstop and it increases the risk of overheating so I stopped taking them.

I’m definitely going to try those ariat pro breeches.

I want to join the clique!

At an AA show, I sweated through my cool max shirt and wool jacket so badly that my number was drenched and fell off in the hack class. I guess I need to laminate my number :lol:

[QUOTE=LuvMyTB;5017436]
I SO have your problem here–not just for showing, but every.damn.day. Every time I ride in this heat & humidity, I sweat BUCKETS. So gross and EMBARRASING!

It’s so humiliating to sweat like that–I have been in tears after some rides just from sheer embarrassment. I have no advice, only sympathy, and will be following this thread.

How about an I Sweat Like A Pig When I Ride clique? LOL![/QUOTE]

I can’t tell you how glad I am to read this thread and know that I am not alone.

I now bring a bath towel with me when I ride in the summer, since I had previously been going through WAY too many paper towels.

My back and butt sweat the most. The sweat causes the dye to come out of my saddle…so much that you can actually see the exact outlines of my butt cheeks on the seat.

And my breeches? Forget it. All of my breeches have a red stain that spreads from my butt down the inside of my thighs. Kind of like the world’s most embarrassing version of “Euroseat” breeches.

It’s totally disgusting. To the point where people don’t want me riding in their saddles if I hack their horses.

BTW, I like the idea of putting duct tape on the show number to keep from sweating through the cardboard…

I LOFF THIS THREAD.

I have gone home from the barn and CRIED from sheer embarassment at how much I’ve sweated. Meanwhile all these other people ride in 90 degree heat, get off, take off their helmets and SHAKE OUT THEIR HAIR before going on their merry way.

I haven’t had DRY hair after riding since, like, 1990.

My number is always soaked too! I heard that you can put regular deodorant “down there” so I’m going to try that this week. Ditto on the lighter fabrics and pantyliners. I love this thread!

[QUOTE=Prima Donna;5038216]
I want to join the clique!

At an AA show, I sweated through my cool max shirt and wool jacket so badly that my number was drenched and fell off in the hack class. I guess I need to laminate my number :lol:[/QUOTE]

That happens to me all the time. I’m constantly having to poke new holes in my number because the string breaks through when the number gets wet. Ew.

So people have mentioned DrySol but does anyone know of any other good anti-perspirants? I’m so tired of not only sweating a lot while riding but also just sweating all the damn long day! And when I’m thinking about it, I sweat even MORE. I’ll never forget, about two years ago I was wearing a thin cotton shirt (oh gee that was smart) while hanging out with friends…went to the bathroom and had sweat stains halfway down my shirt under my arms! I grabbed a hoodie real fast. Super embarassing.

So glad that all of us can commiserate together!

Force majeure, the pure nature of the destructive, non-transfer of the human will can, for example, earthquakes, floods, landslides, and so when

these natural disasters come, united, united front is not afraid of disaster.
If you don’t want to go through all this trouble, there isRuneScape Gold a way out for you to dive straight

into the excitement of World of Warcraft, that is, by purchasing a veteran account. ABuy WOW Goldveteran account is an

advanced character in the game,and here you can have a cheaper priceCheap RS Gold. Some other player has

gone through all the trouble in building up. In other words, RuneScape Goldit’s a character with all the skill

and reputation; you’re looking for otherprofessional. Along with the character, you come to the account. Hence, all the wealth and possessions come

along with the character. You have the ability to dive straight into the higher level of the game.

I’m one of those people too!

It never ceases to amaze me how these riders prance around the farm or showgrounds in 90 degree heat, riding multiple horses and don’t show one sign of swamp ass!! It is embarassing for me too! I am going to start only showing in the jumpers so I can wear black breeches except for the classic classes. I have worn Under Armour under my breeches but I found that I slipped around a little.

I’m going to try Monkey Butt and the padded underwear! :smiley:

RedCedar,

As the person who started this thread, I feel your pain.

Thanks to suggestions from posters, I’ve personally learned there are a few things you can do to avoid wearing black breeches at all times. :wink:

The Ariat Pro Circuits really DO work as well as described. I all but sprinted to my nearest tack shop and bought some after reading the suggestion here and showed the next incredibly hot weekend wearing them. The breeches were WET but you couldn’t tell. At all. At any point. I asked multiple - close :wink: - friends. There was no evidence of swamp-butt in my pictures or videos. They are miraculous and worth every single penny. There are several online shops that have the embossed (patterned) version of these breeches on sale for around $60. Can’t show in them, but they are nice for riding at home!

The TuffRider Aerocools are supposedly very good as well. I bought some over winter in preparation for the hot summer months so I can’t weigh in on them just yet, but other posters seem to love them! Best of all, they’re cheap!

This thread just made my day. Seriously. I have suffered from hyperhydrosis my whole life…used to have to run to the bathroom in between classes in high school and dry my shirts on the hand dryer. And obviously it’s even worse after riding. I used to gallop racehorses and after my first horse my entire shirt, bra, panties AND jeans were dripping wet. It is SO embaressing and I finally went to the dermatologist for it. She gave me the pills that someone else mentioned, and along with the intolerable dry mouth it didn’t help my sweating at all. I’m going to ask about Dry-Sol at my next appointment (if that really works it sounds great). I have tried all types of fabrics, routines, deoderants, powders, underwear, etc and nothing works.

I am supremely jealous of those who ride in long-sleeved shirts at this time of year and don’t sweat a drop.

sigh Glad to know there are others out there, though. We should start a support group.

[QUOTE=murph;5020096]
Anyone try this? http://www.perspirex.com
Wouldn’t help in the nether regions lol but I’m thinking might cut down on the soaking wet circles under the arms :)[/QUOTE]

Switching your deoderant/antiperspirant can help quite a lot. I’ve never tried the perspirex, but a friend of mine swears by the Dove Clinical antiperspirant. I’ve noticed a very big difference between brands of deodorants, so it might be worth trying a few different brands if yours isn’t up to snuff. For me any deodorant will stop me from smelling, but only a few will help with the excessive sweating. I usually look for sport versions of antiperspirants, which are usually stronger.

I’m unfortunately not riding right now and I live in the PNW, so I haven’t tried the Dove yet. If I’m able to ride this summer though, coolmax breeches and the Dove Clinical are definitely on my shopping list.

Medical treaments

From a medical perspective here is what I am aware of for treatment of hyperhydrosis.

1. Drysol. This product is Aluminum Chloride. You apply at night and apply a occlusive dressing. Works well but can be severly irritating to the skin.

2. Sympathectomy. This is surgery where a Thoracic Surgeon will clip a nerve that innervates the sweat glands. As this is an invasive procedure there is a risk of irreversible complications. Patients should try other methods first usually. This method is permanent I believe. Compensatory sweating can occur in other areas as well.

3. Botox. Botox is a botulinum toxin injection that paralyzes the sweat glands. This is done by injecting the fluid using a small needle. This is painful in the hands but very well tolerated in the axilla (armpits). In Canada medical plans can cover the cost of the medication (around $700-$1000 depending on how many units used. Typically 50-100u) but not the MD fees. This is not permanent and needs to repeated as needed. There is a risk of muscle weakness if done for palmar treatment.

4. Iontophoresis. This method uses electric currents to disrupt the sweat glands using a machine. A few treatments may be needed to get results. As far as I am aware only for hands and feet.

5. Anti-Cholinergic medications. This are medications taking orally with a side effect of dryness. For example Glycoprrolate is given pre anethesia to reduce lung secretions. These medications block neuro transmission, thus they effect more than just sweat glands. Urinary retention, dry eyes / blurry vision, dry mouth, decreased gastric motility. These drugs have high side effects and not as effective as other treatments.

There may be more treatments but this is what I’m aware of. See your dermatologist if you are considering treatment. You may also want to investigate all the side effects of each treatment your self as all of the above have multiple side effects. Good luck.

Coolmax fabric does NOTHING for me, but I sweat a lot!

I wear a pantyliner on the bum part of my undies. This is the only thing that works for me. They’re thin enough to not be an issue, and I tend to forget it is even there.

Good luck!

Ugh. Just thinking about the summertime heat is making my arse sweat.

I get “swass” (swamp ass) so badly normally that I don’t even want to think about what its going to be like in the summer!

I’m thinking powder, powder powder.

Monistat also makes an anti-chafing cream, not sure if helps sweating but it certainly protects the skin from the sweating.

[QUOTE=theblondejumper;5040385]
So people have mentioned DrySol but does anyone know of any other good anti-perspirants? I’m so tired of not only sweating a lot while riding but also just sweating all the damn long day! And when I’m thinking about it, I sweat even MORE. I’ll never forget, about two years ago I was wearing a thin cotton shirt (oh gee that was smart) while hanging out with friends…went to the bathroom and had sweat stains halfway down my shirt under my arms! I grabbed a hoodie real fast. Super embarassing.

So glad that all of us can commiserate together![/QUOTE]

Certain Dri. AMAZING. It’s OTC and pretty cheap. My doc referred it to me when I asked him about my sweating.

I put it on at night, every other day or every day (depending on if I’ve been using it regularly - it takes a couple days to “build up” to last 2 days). I put regular deodorant on in the morning (YAY I can use clear deodorant that smells pretty!) and it’s seriously amazing. Usually no pit stains whatsoever.

The liquid roll-on is stonger, but can irritate your skin. I use it anyway and just deal with it, but it can get really itchy. I usually just put a little lotion on if it’s bad. They make a solid that’s not as strong (didn’t cut it for me) but is gentler.

I think they make prescription creams for other body parts. I have a friend that got it for her hands and it worked.

So I think we’ve covered that the OP is most definitely NOT alone, and has no reason to be embarrassed. We’ve all been there. I can certainly relate the the unfortunate wet spot on the saddle, too.

The way I see it, there is only one question that remains. Who is going to step up and be the founding member of the “Swamp Ass Clique”? :lol:

I’m fascinated that so many people keep mentioning antiperspirants and botox when I want help with swamp ASS! I can’t envision using a roll on or getting shots in my nether regions…
So far, I’m going to try powder and Ariat Pro Circuits. I already know that coolmax doesn’t help and we’ve jumped right in with a couple days of temps hitting 90 this week :frowning:

[QUOTE=piftisha;5018347]
Count me in!!

I also HATE the wet saddle spot. Gross…I have to clean/towel the seat EVERY TIME I ride![/QUOTE]

Yes, Yes!!

I am glad to know I am not the only one who looks like they peed in their saddle in the summer.

Count me in the “sweat like a pig clique.” I sweat through my breeches too.