Unlimited access >

Pregnant riders support group? :)

Hello everyone! I guess the title says it all- any other pregnant riders out there want to start a support thread?
DH and I found out about a month ago (somewhat unexpectedly) that we are expecting a bundle of joy in August. I have a super supportive doc (thank goodness!) who told me keep riding as long as I feel comfortable. I decided I am going to ride as far into the 2nd trimester as I can, but I am leaving the jumping to trainer and younger girls at the barn.

a couple questions: I am dreading getting into breeches! Did you buy all new breeches? Any suggestions on brands? I like Ariat and TS. I was hoping I could get by in what I have but I donā€™t think that will work. Plus I would like to have something to wear for when I am ready to start riding post baby.

Any suggestions for sports bras for the well endowed (now becoming more well endowed- ugh)? I like Champion but I donā€™t know if they make a cup size bigger than what I am wearing now in my fav sports bra.

Congrats to any moms to be or new moms out there! I am already day dreaming about ponies! :wink:

1 Like

Congratulations! I rode pretty far along in my first pregnancy and found that riding tights, with wide elastic waistbands, worked the best. Both Irideon and Kerrits make comfortable options. I carried high, so as long as they were below my belly they worked well. Iā€™m now pregnant with twins :eek: and so only rode until 16 weeks. At least itā€™s winter, so I donā€™t feel like Iā€™m missing anything. My daughter was born in November, and boy did it suck not only being heavily pregnant in late summer but also missing the whole fall show season!

I hope you have an uneventful, enjoyable pregnancy!

Congratulations! I, too, am pregnant! I am early into my second trimester. I havenā€™t needed to switch breeches yet as I havenā€™t developed a baby belly yetā€¦ only a small bulge :wink: I stopped jumping as soon as I found out but I am still flatting lightly as my horse is extremely safe & reliable. Iā€™m leaving the jumps to the pros as well.

No suggestions on the brasā€¦ I was never well endowed to begin with although I suppose that may change!

My biggest fear is how much physical ability I will lose and if Iā€™ll be a wobbly mess after the baby is born. And thatā€™s IF I have time to get to the barn!

I, too, am already thinking about ponies and leadline! Itā€™s impossible not to!!

1 Like

Pregnant and due in May!

I have switched to riding in tights. I can still fit into really elastic waist low rise breeches but they sit uncomfortably on my belly which justs looks like a beer belly at this point.

I just completed a schooling show where we did a hunter hack class with just 2 fences but otherwise am also not jumping and sticking mostly to flat work. Iā€™ve been schooling off property twice since pregnant and have mostly just taken it easy.

As for sports bras for the top heavy ladies like myself, I just bought bras in the next size up around and found the cups more roomier too (went from 34DD to 36DD)

Canā€™t wait for the 2015 ā€œfoalā€ photos to be added to this thread!

Just had my little guy last year.

I rode and jumped until 5mths along. I just went up a size in breeches and just bought 2 pairs. They were great for when I started back again. I actually was smaller after I had my son. He was a huge baby and literally sucked the fat of me nursing lol!

I love the Champion sports bras too. I actually only wore those most days while I was nursing too. I found them just as easy and more comfortable than a nursing bra. I am well endowed too. When I started back riding I wore two together and this did the trick. I also wore nursing pads in the bras because I found when I exercised I would leak.

I rode 6 weeks after giving birth and I had a very traumatic horrible delivery. I found that I was in better shape in the first six months after baby then I am now. I loved having a break from being a mom milk machine lol. When my son got to be more active and more needy I found that I have lost interest in my riding and horse unfortunately. I just want to spend my time with him. I had trouble leaving him some days to go to the barn. Silly I know, but funny how things change.

My horse and I are retired from showing so not really a big deal. Itā€™s also really hard to find the time and energy now that I am back at work. I am hoping things get easier down the road. I am still passionate about horses and love my horse, just my priorities have changed.

1 Like

Pregnant and due in May too!

Donā€™t go out and buy new breeches, go to target and pick up a bella band. Then you can wear it with your regular breeches and just leave them unbuttoned.

My doctor suggested I stop riding at 20 weeks and honestly, I was only walking by 18 weeks because my balance was so off. I just sent my boy to stay with my trainer for the rest of my pregnancy and itā€™s hard not seeing him every day.

Anyway, congratulations! Is this your first?

Thanks and congrats to everyone who has chimed in so far!! This is my first, and so far so good. I definitely think we need to share ā€œfoalā€ pics of 2015. I am just about the last one of my ā€œnormalā€ social set to get pregnant, it feels like. But the only people I know from my horsey friends who have had babies are lesson moms- so not a lot of sources for riding advice there. The plan right now is for me to go back to teaching in my horsey job after the baby is born, part time, and leave my full time job, which I have wanted to do for a while. It is going to be a year of lots of changes for us!! Iā€™m at the end of my first trimester and looking forward to the end of the exhaustion. But thankful thatā€™s been the worst side effect so far. (Knock on wood). At least the nasty weather and cold has given me some excuse to take days off from riding.

Lots of May babies - Iā€™m due in May with my first as well! Itā€™s been really tough, but I stopped riding at 20 weeks under the direction of my OB - she explained that itā€™s not the riding itself that concerns her, but the risk of an accident. Given that Iā€™m not a pro and donā€™t make my living riding, and that my worst accidents have been random, unforeseeable mishaps on very good horses that were in no way to blame, I canā€™t really argueā€¦ The one thing I am absolutely loving about the frigid weather weā€™ve been having on and off is that it really makes me feel less like Iā€™m missing out on saddle time. I would be going crazy if I was on enforced no-riding time in good weather. Iā€™ve ridden since I was in diapers, and never taken more than maybe a week offā€¦ Months out of the tack seems like an eternity, especially when I am just starting to get a bit of a bump, and certainly donā€™t feel like thereā€™s anything I canā€™t do at this point. Iā€™m trying to stay involved by grooming and setting up outings, clinics and lessons for the other riders in the barn, which does help a bit.

I rode until I was 32 weeks along although I stopped jumping at 16 weeks. And really the only reason that I stopped was that I couldnā€™t get off even with a tall mounting block! I had a pair of cheap cotton Devon-aire breeches that are really stretchy, and way too big. But they were comfortable and now theyā€™re perfect for putting long johns under. I also just rode in my maternity jeans since I really wasnā€™t riding that hard, I thought my saddle could handle a FEW rides in denim!
I wasnā€™t able to ride until 6 weeks after due to a c-section, and it took awhile to get completely back. But that break helped break my bad habits, too. So I feel like although I might be more cautious now, skill wise Iā€™m better than ever.

So many May babies!

Iā€™m due on the 26th.

I think I went a little overboard at the Target Liquidation sale.

http://i59.tinypic.com/w18v3k.jpg

Clearly Iā€™m having a ā€œfillyā€ LOL and my non-horsey sister is thinking babyā€™s first word will be ā€œponyā€ā€¦we can only hope right?!

Congrats to everyone :slight_smile:

I evented till 7.5 months with my first (even at the end I didnā€™t look preggo, just Thanksgiving Dinner Full). Only rode the one pony as he was safe and steady. Stopped riding my others. Got a new riding coat when I thickened up a bit near the end. Didnā€™t need to buy new breeches.

2nd foal? Quit riding at 3 months and didnā€™t care a whit lol!!

Well, I had a ā€œsurpriseā€ ā€œcoltā€ so I was showing & jumping up until about 26 weeks :open_mouth:
After I realized I was pregnant I w/t/c until about 7 then after that went down to walk. Too much for me to handle.
Luckily I had a horse I had ridden & owned for almost 20 yrs so she was unflappable. I trusted her.
I stopped hacking about when I was about 38wks, one day I got on and felt like I needed a crane to get off. That was that. I had already started to get off by putting my leg forward and sliding off that way anyways. There were no other options LOL
I got back on at a walk about 4 wks after. Then built my fitness back up again gradually.
Unfortunately I had a real struggle with post partum depression/anxiety/OCD and had to go on meds for that. The meds put 70lbs on me and I am still struggling to get that back down (it has been a year since I had to take them, and it took me 2.5 yrs to ā€œget over itā€) but riding helps and it is slowly but surely coming off now.

This was over 30 years ago.

Both pregnancies I rode until the day before labor started. I did stop jumping at around 4 1/2 months (after a fall, everything was fine.) The last month I did not feel like going beyond the walk but my first son, in utero, would do calisthenics every night when I was trying to get to sleep. He required several minutes a day of sitting trot or I got the gym class in my belly when I tried to sleep.

I did not have calf-skin covered saddles (I donā€™t think they were around) so I rode in my maternity jeans and high boots. I did notice that my Stubben caused my pubic bone to get painful the longer I was pregnant. My next pregnancy I switched to my Crosby and my pubic bone did not bother me at all.

Iā€™m due Iā€™m August as well! My DS is only 7 months old, and I rode up until about 25 weeks or so with him. When it became uncomfortable to post (I had a sharp pain near my belly button) I gave it up.

My old lady is 22 this year, but still full of lots of pā€™nā€™v, so I will continue to work her from the ground once I get to that point. I have developed a very goofy way to longeā€¦instead of keeping her old bones on a 20m circle, I run around the dressage arena with her so we can use (almost) the whole thing. Plenty of straight lines for her that way. Except at the canter. I canā€™t waddle fast enough for that, so 20m circles it is! :slight_smile:

Horses and riding is so dangerous in generalā€¦I didnā€™t ride during both of my pregnancies ā€¦youā€™ll have the rest of your life to ride ā€¦why risk it unnecessarily ??

1 Like

Iā€™m due in May with my first too lol I havenā€™t ridden at all since I found out. We moved to Cali right after the test came up positive and I decided to leave my horse with my sister in PA so he could still be worked and hopefully show in the spring and summer. Just found out Iā€™m having a boy so I donā€™t know if there are going to be ponies and leadline in my future or not!

What a fun and perfectly timed thread!!

My husband and I have started trying to add to our little family for the past few months. Riding and the horse has been one of our major talking points. Thankfully we are both on the same page regarding it but it is nice to read everyoneā€™s experiences.

My doctor rides jumpers so is understanding within certain limits. I have a pretty tough ride of a Mare (just strong) but she is always dead honest. We are thinking continuing like normal until about 3 months and then maybe flat for another month. She will then be turned over to my trainer for the remainder of the time.

But we wonā€™t know until we actually get there!

Please keep your stories coming! Any advice for during and after is welcome!

Congratz! Just had my 1st baby end of October. Just horse showed in the high Adult Jumpers at WEF this past weekend. Brought my little guy with me to the show and everything!

I did go up a size in TS breeches while pregnant and eventually just didnā€™t zip them up all the way when I got bigger lol. I jumped/showed through 5.5mo, and hacked until 7.5mo. What really did me in was the summer heat. If it hadnā€™t been so hot I probably would have kept flatting. Just do what feels comfortable! Also if you choose to ride, ride every day. Once you stop for a few days itā€™s hard to get back into it.

Had a C-section but was back in the saddle 4 weeks later. Took me about 2-3 weeks to feel completely normal flatting/jumping.

Good luck to all the new mommies! Hope you like NOT sleeping a lot :wink:

Totally not preggersā€¦

But I have a suggestion on sports bra! I used to work for Sports Authority and had ā€˜trainingā€™ in apparel.

Under Armour makes amazingly supportive (IMO) bras that go by band and cup size. Check them out. I am of average size, and they fit me well, and go several sizes larger (and smaller!) so take a look!

Nike supposedly came out with a similar workings to their bras, but I left the company before I got that training (thank goodness)ā€¦

I would stay away from Walmart off brand sports bras if you have big tatasā€¦they do okay for my size (small C) and lower, but if youā€™re any more endowed and growing (yippee, right?) you want more support than what I have ever seen them offer.

Champion should have many styles to offer, as well. Not sure where you are purchasing from, but Sports Authority vs Target and Target had a LOT bigger a selection of the hooter holsters :slight_smile:

best of luck!!!

Awesome thread! Iā€™m a little late chiming in as I just found this. I am due with my first little critter Aug 23rd (though I am going with the end of AUG as I dont believe they can pinpoint the day that closely. Ive had 2 sonograms in one week, one says 11 weeks the next 12 weeks and 2 days!) So I had my spring riding all mapped out with some local dressage schooling shows, a hunter pace, and a couple of starter trials. My appendix had other ideas. I went into the ER on Thursday with what I thought was gas pain that just wouldnt go away. I ended up having my appendix out early Saturday morning and am now at home continuing my recovery. Right now I dont even feel like walking around much less riding, but will be back in the saddle as soon as all pain from the surgery is gone. I am not allowed to lift anything over a gallon of milk for about 4 weeks so guess Iā€™ll have to wait at least that long. With this development I guess that I wont be competing like I had planned. It was all just for fun, ya know, before my whole life changes! As long as I can get on my horse and enjoy her for a couple more months. Even if it is just walking around. My riding is MY time, to relax, to blow off steam, to just enjoy my horse and be myself. My OB is not happy that I ride so I cant say she supports meā€¦but I feel like a glint in my eye may have told her it was futile to demand that I not ride. She has dealt with one of my best friends who also rode and knows it would be a waste of her breath. I am a cautious person anyways and while accidents happen, I know my horse and I know my body and our limitations. I have given up playing and practicing polocrosse on my polocrosse mare as I just do not trust her. She is not a bad horse, but I have only had her for a year and we have no sort of connection or real relationship. So I will not be on her back again till probably well after i recover from delivery.
Our feed guy asked me if i was going to continue teaching till I gave birth. I had to laugh a little. I plan to live my life almost the same as if I were not pregnant. I will be more cautious, eat better, and take care of my body. But I dont think I should give up everything.
So I have a few questions that maybe some of you been there, had a baby, got the tee shirt ladies can answer. Really non horse related. Besides the nausea and maybe morning sickness and of course mentally knowing you had a baby living inside of you, when did you start to physically feel pregnant? Did you, or how much did you change your activity level? I am fairly active, not only working in my 20 stall barn, giving lessons, and riding, but I like to walk and ride bikes, and canoe and such. My doctor wants me to stay active which is fine with me. My husband (his first child too) swears that pretty soon i wont want to do any of these things, but I dont think he knows what he is talking about. I know when it gets super hot and I am super prego I might not want to do as much. He is acting like going camping this spring and walking and canoeing will be too much for me. One thing he has never understood is I am of way hardier stock than him. I can handle the heat well, I can handle the cold, I can handle working till the job is done. I was born and raised on this farm and was not raised a pansy. Iā€™m sure there will be things I just dont feel like doing but I dont think it will be near as bad as he thinks! Part of me thinks he wants me to just sit around and get fatter and lazy. ( I am already overweight) Part of me wants to do everything in my power to prove him wrong. He keeps saying, wait and youā€™ll see. I keep saying , No, wait and youā€™ll see!
Anyway my little vent overā€¦ We should really keep each other updated on our pregnancies and share info! I know there have to be tons of forums and such out there for pregnant women to get together on, but i do feel like most of us horse people are a breed of our own and may have different takes on things.