Unlimited access >

Pregnant riders support group? :)

@Riverview, I stopped riding about 3 weeks ago. So a littler after I updated this thread. The baby started getting active at 20 weeks and at 21 weeks she’d (baby) bear down and infront when I rode. It took about 8 hours to get her back to where I was comfortable even after a quick w/t ride. No longer worth it when my co-pilot didn’t have a choice of if she rode too or not and didn’t seem too happy about bouncing around.

Now my part boarder and the assistant trainer are riding my mare. I go up and just make sure she knows who still pays her bills and feed her treats and she is just thrilled to bits to see me, treat bag in hand lol.

Any pregnant or soon-to-be-maybe pregnant trainers out there? I’m a professional who both instructs and does a lot of riding year round and I’m coming to that age where DH is starting to tap his hand on the ticking time clock…What has your experience been? I’m hoping that my body will tell me what’s right for me, but I can’t help but be nervous! I’m trying to decide whether a hot summer time pregnancy will be best (when I have kids off school available to help ride) or a cold weather pregnancy (since I hate riding in the cold anyway!) will be best. That’s assuming I have any control over the timing of all this! Any advice?!

Riverview - it differs for everyone but I think pregnancy really starts to effect you when you get close to the third trimester. In the first trimester you are physically able to do everything as normal. In the second trimester you are aware of your belly and can feel the baby moving inside of you, which I think naturally makes you more cautious. Then the third trimester you are lugging around a huge watermelon and it is exhausting!

I had my first baby in august so I feel you about being pregnant and active during the summer. Do you have access to a pool? Getting in the pool is heavenly when you are big and it’s hot!

Please don’t feel like you have to prove that you are ‘tough’ or you can do things despite being pregnant. There is absolutely no shame in taking things a little easy and being nice to yourself. No point in over doing it then ending up on bed rest or something. It is humbling though when you physically can’t do things you used to do. I’m almost at my third trimester and just found out I have a low lying placenta so I’m trying to be careful about lifting things… which is nearly impossible when you have horses. I asked for help loading a couple bags of grain at the feed store the other day and it was an older lady who came to help me. I can’t tell you how hard it was to stand by and watch her load them when I knew I could do it much easier.

The thing I’m struggling with the most is having to be a ‘hands off’ horse owner at the moment. I have my retired guy at home still but my show horse is 1.5 hours away at my trainers. He is getting top notch care and I visit several times a month, but I hate not being involved in his day to day life.

Luckily I do have a pool (course have to get the new liner that we got last year IN the pool so it is usable). Besides teaching at the barn this summer, I plan on spending plenty of time floating around in the pool!

@Riverview, I second what WannabeDQ said about don’t feel you have to prove anything about being pregnant/ still able to do your normal stuff. I am only 13 weeks but found out a few weeks ago I am pregnant with twins! I am still teaching and riding students horses that are reliable but I have decided to give my young project horse some time off until the college kids come home and can ride him this summer. He has some silly moments that I decided it’s not worth it to risk something accidentally happening. I could never live with myself and my DH would hold it against this horse forever. Most days I feel like my normal self, but its a lot easier to overdo it than you might think. The last thing I want to is end up on bed rest or banished from the barn! So I am trying to ask for help more. In terms of our other plans trips, etc I have just asked DH to be more flexible than usual and its understood that anything can be changed if I am not feeling up to it. I think that makes him feel better that I am at least considering taking it easy :slight_smile: and it gives me license to change my mind! Congrats and good luck!

@EmJ628: that means TWO new ponies for you! Congrats on the multiples :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=EmJ628;8006871]
I am only 13 weeks but found out a few weeks ago I am pregnant with twins![/QUOTE]

Is there something in the water?! Congratulations!

Glad I’m not the only horsey soon-to-be mom of twins out there. I’m 27 weeks now and just in the last week or so I’ve started getting pretty miserable. Thankfully my husband is helping in the barn and I have friends riding my horse for me. I’m also still able to longe her a few times a week, but barely.

The craziest part is how big I am this time around – I have gained more weight so far than I did total with my daughter (and she was almost 9 lbs.), and I still have 11 more weeks to go!

@Fergs- that is awesome! Congrats to you- I will be super interested to hear about how things are going for you. I will admit I am slightly terrified about how big I am undoubtedly going to get. You are the only horsey person I “know” so far who is pregnant with multiples!

As a well endowed woman on a normal day, I suggest you look into Athleta Bras (high end Gap.) Most comfortable bras I have ever worn and even more so now as the ladies are a bit fuller recently. Specifically check out the Glory Bra. I can’t say enough wonderful things about this over-the-shoulder-boulder-holder!

http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=1006093&vid=1&pid=819371002

For those who are still riding, recommendations on good breeches? I’ve found I can still (at 22 weeks) squish into my Pipers, but they’re not ideal. Kerrits? Ovation? Other thoughts? Sadly, my boots are getting harder and harder to fit into, particularly on heavy feet-swelling days, but I think that’s more of a suck-it-up, since I suspect I may be riding less and less over the next few weeks before probably staying grounded during the third.

[QUOTE=GotSpots;8008871]
For those who are still riding, recommendations on good breeches? I’ve found I can still (at 22 weeks) squish into my Pipers, but they’re not ideal. Kerrits? Ovation? Other thoughts? Sadly, my boots are getting harder and harder to fit into, particularly on heavy feet-swelling days, but I think that’s more of a suck-it-up, since I suspect I may be riding less and less over the next few weeks before probably staying grounded during the third.[/QUOTE]

Pipers were the last breeches I could fit in to also! Equissentials make a maternity breech, but at 22 weeks it may not be worth investing in. Your best bet would be to pick up a bella band and wear it with your regular breeches unbuttoned/unzipped. It’s not perfect, but you should get a few more weeks of riding time before you hang up your boots.

I showed in the 3’ adult ammies with my mare until 4 1/2 months, finished my regular show season but did not attend championships. I continued to flat both my 4 and 6 year old until 8 months when fitting into the saddle was problematic and I was finding I did more walking then anything else! Thankfully I carried high and did not show any bump until close to 5 months. I only went up 1 breech size and bought 2 pairs although at the end I could barely get my half chaps done up. As long as I was comfortable and did not fall off my doctor was ok with me riding. I just was not to take any unnecessary risks so when the 4 year old starting jumping I let my pro start him instead of doing it myself. I did continue to tack up and adjust jumps right up until the end…we went on Saturday to school off property and I had my daughter the following Friday! After my C-section (she was breech) I am still waiting to get back on…1 more week (4 weeks after the c-section) I am allowed to get back on and start walking…already back to my pre pregnancy weight and will hopefully fit back into my breeches and half chaps!

I think you should do whatever you feel comfortable with as long as you are a low risk pregnancy. I was still feeding horses and cleaning stalls the morning of my C-section - keeping fit will keep you sane and make your recovery a lot easier!

Thankfully my hubby was super supportive about me riding!

Good luck.

What a great thread!

I am not pregnant yet, but hubby and I are going to start trying very soon. At this point, I plan to keep riding and doing everything I normally do, as long as I feel comfortable and my balance is unaffected.

I told my husband he should WANT me to keep riding while pregnant, otherwise he’ll get sick of how bored and crazy I would get, haha. But he is supportive!

Congrats, twins! I stopped riding when I found out I was pregnant with my DS, I worked really hard for that pregnancy. With my DD (born a week ago) :slight_smile: I jumped til about 15 weeks (just went down in height) and rode til abit 5 months. I had really bad sciatic and pelvic pain. Also my mare is no where near bomb proof and it’s not worth the risk.

Tuff Rider makes a low rise pull on breech that worked really well and actually ride nice for $30. Their ventilated tights I wore the whole time super comfy but only for warm weather.

Congrats to the OP on your twins!

Riverview: Aside from exhaustion the first trimester, I didn’t feel pregnant! Didn’t have nausea/vomiting until the second trimester (I know, weird). I started to look more and more bloated, but probably didn’t “feel” really pregnant until I started feeling the baby move. I was more cautious while riding because I knew I was pregnant. I hated being pregnant actually, but I may be in the minority for that. :lol: I was in my second trimester during the entire humid MD summer and had 5 horses at home. I take a medication that can cause you to sweat less and be more prone to heat stroke, plus I was anemic. Not fun! I got tired very quickly doing chores, but didn’t have any help so had to push through. It was very embarrassing when I almost passed out holding my horse for the farrier and he had to give me one of his cold gatorades. :o It didn’t help matters that my SO didn’t want me to overdo it, but wouldn’t exactly help out either. On the other hand, SO’s father constantly told me to slow down and not overdo it (which was sometimes annoying to a hormonal prego lady when I wasn’t receiving help but maybe everything was just annoying!). Definitely stay active if you can, but don’t be afraid to let your SO help you out if he offers! Let yourself be pampered. :slight_smile:

Now, as for the riding part. :slight_smile: I rode my two TB’s (and continued mucking stalls at the boarding barn) normally during the first trimester. I tried to show both of them at 12ish weeks pregnant in June, but the young one was a nut so we only schooled (turns out he had ulcers and can’t handle alfalfa hay) and the older one doesn’t do well in the heat- he was super strong to school in the morning, then by the time our classes ran in the hottest part of the day, he was zapped out and was hitting rails (normally overjumps everything) so we scratched. The rest of the summer I only had the energy to get on my younger (now sane again) TB for ten minutes because he’d happily w/t/c on the buckle. I didn’t ride my older horse because he’s a strong, tough ride and occasionally is set off by nothing, and while I’m normally fine with him (have owned him 7+ years), I didn’t want to risk it when I wasn’t “all there” physically and mentally. At that point, I didn’t feel off-balance, but my leg was weaker, probably from not riding nearly as much as I had for years. I went cross-country schooling on my younger TB when I was 6 months pregnant (baby was actually kicking a lot during our school!) and did a local horse trial at 7 months pregnant. I only did the intro level though because that particular horse still needed a strong ride at the canter for a dressage test and I no longer had the abdominal muscles to do more than ride in a light or half seat at the canter. :wink: I rode here and there during the 3rd trimester and never felt off balance but stopped mostly because I couldn’t get off my horse without assistance! :lol: The last time I rode longer than 10-15 minutes was when I went trail riding on a gorgeous fall day. I rode in maternity jeans and my SO’s big, comfy, broken-in western saddle. :slight_smile: Had I been in my second trimester during the fall, I would have ridden far more! It was the heat that prevented more riding, and I had them at home so no lights to ride in the cooler evening hours.

I stayed small throughout my first and second trimesters and gained mostly in the third trimester. I fit just fine in my regular breeches throughout the first trimester and part of my second (I actually lost weight for a while) and then was able to just use a rubberband on the snap of my breeches to allow a bit more room around 6 months. My tights didn’t feel comfortable but my yoga pants and leggings were ok with half chaps to have short hacks at home. For the horse trial at 7 months, I had to buy a bigger pair of breeches and coat. They didn’t exactly look gorgeous since the legs were too baggy, but oh well. If you aren’t showing, I would just try to use comfy leggings/yoga pants or maternity jeans rather than buy new breeches.

My Ob-gyn’s daughter showed hunters on the A-circuit so she has a good understanding of horse people and okay’d me to continue riding. My SO was not too supportive of it though.

As far as riding after delivering you little one(s), just depends on how you’re recovering, what your doctor says, and the time you have. I have 5 horses at home and it was SO HARD in those first few weeks to just get the barn chores done! Granted, I had my DS at the beginning of the past December, so we had blanket changes, more stall cleaning than normal, and heated buckets to keep filling vs. the bigger trough, but still, you don’t realize how EXHAUSTING a baby is until you have one! Also didn’t help that I’m breastfeeding so I was the one up all hours of the day and night and had to be there for him to eat (which was literally almost 24/7 the first couple weeks!), and my SO didn’t take off work, and he expected me to continue doing barn chores AM & PM immediately after I got home from the hospital so he didn’t have to get up an extra 15 minutes early for work…but that’s a rant for another day. :slight_smile: Luckily I had an easy delivery and felt fine to ride about 4 weeks later, but my DS is 10.5 weeks and I’ve only been able to ride for maybe 10 minutes tops 3 times (solely because SO doesn’t give me the opportunity to go out and do something for myself, and the ground is frozen). Seriously, I don’t know how some mom’s manage to go out and ride so early on! Maybe they’re formula feeding so someone else can do it, or maybe they introduce a bottle with pumped milk earlier than I did, or maybe they have better facilities, or had their LO at a better time of the year, or maybe a more supportive SO? I’d LOVE to, but unfortunately it isn’t happening right now. Oh, and I lost all of my weight VERY quickly (thanks to nursing!) but don’t have nearly the same amount of muscle for riding. :frowning:

Hopefully you were able to pull some useful info out of that long, rambling post. :smiley: Congrats!!!

Crown royal - I found everything hard while breast feeding. I ended up pumping and having DH give him a bottle simply because I was losing it from lack of sleep. (Yes that caused DS to give up the breast earlier than I would have liked, but no I don’t regret it!). Also, exercise/riding caused more leakage than usual which was awkward. I’m so impressed that you are doing all the newborn stuff on top of farm stuff!

I am no longer able to slip through the fence to get in and out of pastures. Having to latch and unlatch gates every time I need to get to a horse is quite annoying.

At 14 weeks and 4 days, I had my first ride post surgery(surgery was almost a month ago) on Thursday! Man it felt good to be back in the saddle again. I planned to get on and just walk for 10-15 min then trot a couple laps ( I like to make sure my girl is nice and loose before we move on) but Ivy was full of herself and didnt want to walk much. So we walked about 5 and trotted on and off for about 10. One thing I noticed, I swear I could kind of feel the baby, or my uterus or something, esp at the trot. Nothing uncomfortable, but just kind of there. Is that normal?

Just wanted to check in and see how everyone is doing! I’ve officially been banned from riding all but the oldies now, as the twins are popping out a bit more. With the crappy weather we’ve (all) had, I haven’t been on a horse in over a month anyway and I have no plans to because everyone is a lunatic right now thanks to cold and limited turn out. Thankfully my trainer is in FL so I have her kids to teach so that’s keeping me busy.

On a side note, I have discovered a group of people who are possibly as obsessed with pooping as horse people- pregnant women. Ha! Something only you guys would understand!!!

Suggestion on bras: go to a specialty running store. They have a HUGE selection of sizes and styles, obviously designed with high impact in mind. I know that the Fleet Feet stores have saleswomen trained to properly measure and even carry nursing sports bras. Congratulations and have fun!!