Pro Rider Coming Back from Health Leave to Ride Upper Level Again

Hi all. I saw this topic and it just grabbed my immediate attention due to my own experiences I’ve had recently.

I’d like to see if there’s anyone else in my position on here, and if there’s anyone who has, how they’re getting through it, or how they got through it.

I’ve been a very competitive, keen-on-getting-to-the-top rider since I was about 8. Even with my own show pony at home, I had an extensive training schedule and I absolutely loved to show. I would ride for four hours a day as an 8-11 year old, and read everything I could to improve myself. At age 10, I had a severe head injury. I acquired brain damage, but I was back in the saddle in less than two weeks.

At 13, I began training my OTTB stallion (very special circumstances that this happened, my family bred him specifically for the purpose of him being my Olympic mount and he went off to the track for a year and a half, until I was old enough and experienced enough to ride him, considering he’s a total fireball - he’s about an 11 out of 10 on the temperament scale, über talented, extremely opinionated, and fiercely passionate.) To this day, even after riding many top level horses, including employers international mounts, one Olympic show jumper, and many many many green-broke upper level prospects, he is still, by far, the hottest, most difficult horse I’ve ever ridden or met. He had been broke on the flat by a friend, and she had jumped him a little, but he was pretty much as green-broke as you can get under saddle.

By 14, and when he was 5, we were schooling up to 1m25 courses at home, and 1m30 singles. I was riding another of my green horses when we had a freak accident and I had yet another head injury and compression fractured 3 of the vertebrae in my upper spine. I didn’t know it then, but continuing to ride without letting myself heal and getting surgery would cause me an incredible amount of pain in the future. It would cripple me.

By 16, and he was 7, we were schooling Grand Prix heights, 1m40 courses and 1m45 singles. I was offered the option to qualify for the 2016 US Team that year, which was 2015 (technically, I was scouted) but I had only been SCHOOLING 1m40 on a seven year old, so I would’ve had to rush to not only work up to 1m50-1m60 CSIO Grand Prix, but also to rack up the points qualify a 7 year old, in less than a year’s time, which is unheard of and would’ve been ridiculously stupid. I’m proud that I made the decision to turn down even trying to qualify, as that would’ve been exponentially too much for my horse. If I didn’t worship him as much as I do, I might’ve made the selfish decision to try. I was mentally and physically ready for the 2016 Olympics. He wasn’t yet. (Also adding this because there’s always that one nitpicker that tries to pick apart your story for inconsistencies for no reason, so I want to make this very clear so that doesn’t happen. He was 7 when I was scouted, and this was a year and 4 months before the Olympics. He turned 8 shortly after we were scouted, which means he’d be 9 by the time the Team was selected the next year. The minimum age for a horse on the show jumping team is 9, which he would’ve been, and the minimum age is 16 for a rider, which I would’ve been at least, obviously.)

We trained hard to make the 2018 WEG US show jumping team. In 2017, I had a bad fall. I wasn’t conscious at the time, but the person I was with told me later that I had a ten minute massive seizure after impact. While in the hospital, they found and diagnosed me with a neurodegenerative brain disease (like MS or Parkinsons) that had been exacerbated by the amount of head injuries I had had. I was told that I was never going to be able to ride again due to the damage I had done on my back and my head. I was told that my quality of life would go way down due to the brain damage I had sustained, and the neurodegeneration I was going to progressively have from the disease I had just found out I had. I was told I’d be in a wheelchair by 30.

My life has been affected greatly by my brain damage. I wasn’t abe to complete high school. I have severe anxiety attacks that make me feel like I’m dying. I suffered from anhedonia for over a year, which caused me to use the high that I got from the pain medications I was given for the tremendous amount of chronic pain I was in for a substitute for happiness. I would lay in bed and cry for hours, grieving over the loss of my career, and so guilty that my beautiful, talented horse was sitting out in his pasture, getting fat and depressed from not doing what he loved, due to the fact that for some reason I was the only person he’d let ride him (I think it’s because he knows I’m the only person who will ever tolerate his terrifying personality).

It’s almost three years since I’ve been diagnosed. My life has changed for the better. I’ve just gotten knee surgery, and I’m about to get back surgery, so I can start riding again and training my way back up to the top. I won’t lie, I’m still in an intolerable amount of pain, but I’ve learned that I’m going to be in pain no matter what I do. I might as well do what I love while I’m in pain. My horse is going to be coming home in a few months. He’s lived with a friend in a different state for a while, because I hadn’t been able to take care of him by myself, but now that I’ve been through vigorous physical therapy and am in the process of getting the surgery I need to improve my physical state, I’m going to be able to start training when he comes back. It’s been hard, but every time I think of taking it easy, I think of the reward, and I remember why I want to push myself. I can’t wait to begin the rest of my life.

That’s a really rough set of medical circumstances to get handed as a kid. By the dates in your post, you must be 18 now? The positive side is that young people really do heal much faster than older adults.

My suggestion would be to take it one day at a time, and perhaps start in with some supervised lessons on a quiet steady horse before riding your fireball jumper again. You will have lost a lot of balance and strength over the years you have been out of the saddle.

My other suggestion would be to make sure you have an effective coach and mentor and that you listen to that person.

One of the symptoms of head trauma is decreased inhibition, which leads to risk taking behavior, which leads to more head injuries. Another aspect of decreased inhibition can be irritation or anger.

It’s really important that you understand and accept that your judgement is not going to be fully reliable and you need to let trusted other people set limits for you. Make sure you have those people in your life.

Realistically you may or may not get back to jumping the heights you did as a promising junior. You may find another niche in the horse world to satisfy your love of horses.

Also you need to figure out how to finish school and then get some kind of job training that will be doable with your physical limitations.

Reading your post over again, it seems to me that you haven’t had what I’d call responsible adult supervision anywhere along here, from the head injury at 10 to the head injury at 16. Where were your parents, your coach, and your doctor when you went back to riding way too soon and compounded the problems?

I have friends pushing 60 that had similar head injuries as kids/teens, and its affected their ability to organize their time for their whole lives.

But over the past couple decades there’s been such growing awareness of head injury in sport, that I’m very surprised and disturbed that anyone in a serious training program as you describe would be allowed to continue on at 10 or at 16 without full medical intervention. That tells me you don’t have the responsible adults you need on your team, and you will have to find and trust them.

Going on as before (jumping unsupervised on homeschooled young OTTB , and pushing them early to big jumps) is going to get you injured more seriously and perhaps at this point killed.

9 Likes

Wow, you have been through so much at such a young age. Honestly, I think you’re really jumping the gun as far as riding your horse is concerned. Back surgery is really complex and risky, even in the best of circumstances. Your focus should be on being ready for surgery and healing afterwards.

Are you still on pain meds?

Other than that, I agree 100% with @Scribbler that your head injuries and potential for further brain damage should be paramount in any decision you make. Remember, there are many ways to be involved in the horse world besides riding.

P.S.—Your talented horse doesn’t care one bit if he’s in a pasture or in the Olympics, although he undoubtedly prefers the pasture life.

3 Likes

https://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/forum/discussion-forums/hunter-jumper/9740176-rushing-to-the-fences

2 Likes

Can you start on the gauc before lunch? Asking for a friend.

5 Likes

Well spotted, Denali! And KBC, the question is, can we start on the cardbordeaux before lunch?

3 Likes

Of course! On toast with bacon :yes:. The carbordeux might have to wait.

While, I have no doubt about the health issues there is no need fabricate a back story. I hope the OP can get some help. It always sucks when you can’t ride like you used to.

2 Likes

Reading that thread caused a brain injury.

3 Likes

God bless @ladyj79 for quoting.

4 Likes

In case it poofs.

6 Likes

Good find!

I didn’t believe the back story. But thought it possible a backyard kid jumping without supervision had a concussion, and wanted to give serious advice. Indeed the previous thread was pretty much what I imagined, only worse :slight_smile:

After reading the previous thread here, I’m pretty sure that the details of the recent health stuff are also exaggerated.

But there is still behavior consistent with a head injury or perhaps mood disorders.

Interestingly, the blithe comment from a junior that “everyone’s told me I should go to the Olympics” is a sure fire sign that they can’t ride and know nothing at all about competing, and are so far off being on a competitive track that they don’t have a clue what lies in between.

I’ve met those juniors. Generally from families where no one has ever accomplished anything.

It’s about on the same level as the 5 year old that tells you she’s going to be a princess when she grows up. Unless her mom’s name is Elizabeth Rex, you just say that’s nice dear.

5 Likes

Scribbler,

I, for one, think it’s wonderful that you took the post at face value and gave the OP serious, well-considered advice on managing after a TBI. Because, at the core of it, that IS what the OP needs advice about - the other stuff is just a distraction.

So, good on you.

I suspect your excellent, well-considered advice won’t penetrate all the delusions and wishful thinking, but I still think you were right to post it.

Carry on!

11 Likes

@Scribbler I do not think we can talk enough about TBIs on this board. And again I hope the OP gets the help she needs.

7 Likes

Now

Early tbi, childhood tbi, that goes undiagnosed can end up throwing a kid’s whole life off track.

30 years ago before sports concussions were a hot topic I did literacy work for a while on skid road.

It was really clear the link between early brain injury, dropping out of school, being labelled a bad kid, getting into trouble (anger, lack of focus, poor impulse control) and substance abuse. And repeated brain injury.

The result being adults who couldn’t remember the alphabet from one day to the next.

Also the link between coming from a poor, ignorant, or abusive family and TBI going unnoticed or untreated, or even being caused by parents knocking the kid around.

At that time, i was also watching a close adult friend recover from a (non horse) head injury and getting intelligent thoughtful descriptions of what it was like.

More recently, every semester one or another of my freshman composition students writes me a research paper on head injuries in hockey. Plus I get to observe my horse pro friends.

So I’ve given it a lot of thought over the years and am very happy to see recent research and protocols.

But unfortunately as with all medical things, it’s going to be the kids already at a disadvantage socially that have less instruction and supervision and constructive guidance that are more likely to do risky things, get injured, get no real medical intervention, and then get labeled a slow learner or difficult kid or stupid or angry, drop out, end up marginal in life.

Things would still be difficult with the best support in the world, but there’d be more understanding from everyone.

From the other post linked here, my initial guess that there were no responsible adults in the OPs life seems validated.

5 Likes

:lol::lol::lol:

I wasn’t sure why all of a sudden that thread came up again, now I see why. It was truly something special.

2 Likes

This seems like it might be a good plot for a YA novel.

1 Like

Based on the past thread(s) OP has stated a lot of things that are backed up. The olympics/junior pro maybe not so much - but I can believe she may have been told those things as encouragement. The rest checks out according to the thread links (stallion bred by parents, invited to stay ( and did) at a farm where she worked off board and top clinicians came, was very sick).

Bottom line: Good for you OP for overcoming a lot of hurdles, no matter their nature. Keep on healing and getting stronger.

I’d add that OP, you will get better, more sincere, and more useful help in life in general .if you:

Are honest to others about your situation

Are realistic to yourself about your abilities and current situation

Develop the ability to identify helpful adults that are open to giving real help and education

Make steps to become self supporting as an adult

Seek out the medical, therapeutic and counselling help you need

Avoid self medicating

You don’t need to spin us a story about Olympic prospects on COTH. That isn’t necessary to get our attention. If you were upfront about being a backyard rider with no trainer who was suffering long term consequences of various injuries, our advice would be the same and we wouldn’t all be snickering at the obvious fabrications and tabulations. Indeed we would be more sympathetic.

As it is, because we see so much that obviously is implausible and indeed proven not to be true, we don’t know how much of the story is true at all. And we start to think we are just being pranked by a bored child.

If you want honest helpful advice, being honest is your best move.

5 Likes

I’m 20 now, and what you said hit the nail right on the head. Knowing what I know now, the supervision I had was really concerning, and I’ve learned that I was allowed to do dangerous things that I shouldn’t have been allowed to do. Don’t worry, I’ve addressed these things with my mother (there have been other issues growing up that I recognise now) and I’m trying to work them out with her and learn to forgive her for essentially allowing me to do dangerous things that were way too much for my age and got me badly hurt.

I’ve also thought about going into dressage with the same horse. He’s got incredible movement and I have a little bit of a background in it, as I use a lot of dressage incorporated into all of my training with any horse I school, no matter what discipline they are, so I have some experience and knowledge with it and I enjoy it.

3 Likes

Nothing has been fabricated, I actually have a bit of other experience with upper level I haven’t included, but I only listed off the things that directly applied to the horse I was training (and subsequently got badly hurt on). I am definitely not the most able or experienced rider in the world, and I have a couple of gaps in my foundation from progressing so fast through the levels at such a young age without taking the time to truly progress as I was ready, on a horse that I didn’t have to worry about training while I was going up through upper level. There were a lot of things done wrong, and if I had been under correct supervision and stayed with one coach for a large portion of my career, then I would NOT be at the level I have been, considering it was much too dangerous for me at a young age + a very young, green, hot TB stallion.