Pro Rider Coming Back from Health Leave to Ride Upper Level Again

It’s okay, everyone has one thing that makes their life a little difficult. The important thing is that she loves me and she’s learning how to be a better mother, even though I’m 20, it means a lot. Like the saying goes, better late than never.

Darren Chiacchia was very intuitive about the problems my mother was causing. It was actually quite interesting how much he seemed to already know about people like her. He’s just a funny guy, and he’s one of the most fantastic riders I’ve ever seen. (He also likes to walk cross country courses shirtless before competing. That was a riot)

It sounds like you have multiple doctors involved in your life and care right now OP. Perhaps you should talk to some of them about programs in your area that might be helpful for people with your symptoms and challenges.

3 Likes

I have an appointment with my neurologist on the 31st, I’ll write it down to remember to ask. I’m not sure if this is even a big area for “support” for this kind of thing, but I suppose I’ll find out. I think I’ll google it too to see if I can find anything that might work

As for school and challenges feeling like you are not mentally functioning well, this happens to lots of young adults for many many reasons. I went through it multiple times during college for a few different reasons. I found that I had success if I paired back to one or two classes during semesters when I was overwhelmed with my challenges. Eventually… I graduated with a good degree and went on to get a masters. So do yourself a favor - don’t rule out a GED, and maybe trying a class or two at community college after that. I hear that you have health issues… but you seem bright and creative. My guess is by the time you hit 25… if you have a GED and an AA completed, you will feel really positive about that.

Hang in there. And talk to your doctors openly about issuesyou are worried about and feel like you are struggling with. My experience with Dr’s after going through major medical issues myself, is that most go into medicine because they care about people, and want to help their patients. They may have advice and suggestions and ideas and referrals for you that are unexpected, and help you reach a better place in terms of wellness.

4 Likes

It might help to set smaller/closer to being achieved goals. You seem to be looking at long term goals, but trying to imagine how to actually get there, is probably part of your anxiety. I don’t know where you are in your physical therapy, but perhaps you can find a therapist to help you come up with step by step goals (off horse) that will assess your ability to ride, and then go from there. Same with school, perhaps you can work on one particular subject that you find easy, and go from there.

I also have a degenerative disease, also found after a serious head injury, and the biggest change has been a lack of energy/stamina. I also have decreasingly worse balance, so jumping, and even riding difficult horses is not the safest thing for me to do. I still compete a bit (western and English dressage), but on Arabians rather than big moving warmbloods. Trying to redefine myself is complicated, but I have begun to focus more on the non-riding side of horses (judging/stewarding), and just set shorter term goals and see how they go.

I hope you have help, and I hope you can take things one day at a time.

3 Likes

Well your answers will come from your medical team and support workers at this point, and hopefully you have the resources to access what you need.

I would caution you not to write off school permanently. At this point you probably have grade 10, maximum? That will not get you any kind of job. Perhaps as you heal you will be able to take one course a term, and ease into it. Perhaps you can access a supportive learning environment at a community college.

But also you describe yourself as an intelligent person, and these days life is difficult for smart people with no education. You won’t be able to get any decent job, you will get frustrated with circumstances. But even more importantly, you will go looking for explanations of the world (because intelligent people seek those) and run down a lot of dead end paths, pseudo science and conspiracy theories and what not. A basic education is a good grounding in evaluating information.

I say this as a college professor who was the first person in my whole extended family to go to university, and who teaches many students from rural or working class backgrounds, who are also the first in their families to get an education.

If you are capable of researching and writing horse history online you are capable of doing grade 11 English in a low pressure adult upgrading program at a community college.

6 Likes

Many jingles and positive healing vibes sent your way OP! Kudos to you for being proactive in looking for support and ideas for moving forward.

The camp job on your profile sounds like great fun and work experience for you. Is that maybe something you would want to continue with in the future? It looks like a wonderful place…camp was so much fun as a kid, I’d love to find an adult version!

I haven’t read through the entire thread, pardon if this was mentioned previously…

1 Like

Hi Jumperfreak,

I have MS, and even though it was not diagnosed until I was 41 it had been sporadically affecting me most of my life. I most definitely have brain damage from my MS and a few concussions.

I had to give up my dreams of being a top rider, I could not even really get to the starting point because of my bad balance, lack of coordination, proprioceptive problems (I often don’t know where parts of my body are), hand tremors, etc., etc., etc…

After a car wreck, head-on collision when a drunk driver swerved into my lane right in front of me, I had more brain damage. Then started the dark days, the car wreck had made my MS ACTIVE, and it was active and undiagnosed for over a decade. ALL my energy disappeared, my already limited coordination disappeared, my body would at times twitch beyond my control, and in all I ended up a mess who really did not “belong” in the saddle. During the worst part I only rode once or twice a YEAR after riding a lot everyday.

Finally after years of despair about my riding I decided, even though I still owned riding horses at that time, that the only way I could ride where I would feel safe was in private lessons on school horses who got regular exercise. I was very fortunate that over a decade ago I finally found a riding teacher who was willing and able to help me, and who I could afford. This lady is the best riding teacher I’ve ever had so I got really lucky about that!

I mostly walk, with some trot. I can only ride 30 minutes at a time. Due to the fact that I found 2 nearby stables that do not charge me too much for riding I get to ride 3 times a week, usually on 3 different horses. I mostly get put upon mature horses who have problems from gaping holes in their training, and after a recent fall off a green-broke OTTB I now know that I have no business training young, green horse, my reaction time is just too slow.

BUT I have three riding teachers, two with decades of experience, who respect me and what I can do for their horses. I get put up on horses who tend to take advantage of their beginning riders and I explain to these horses that, though I have very bad balance, I cannot coordinate my body well, and I am subject to tremors, that even then they, the horses, can obey their less than perfect riders, in fact that they, the horses, are EXPECTED to obey their less than perfect riders. I get to do this while riding these horses for only 30 minutes a week.

I will never be a top rider (of course I never was a top rider.) But I have found a niche where I can use my knowledge to help individual horses become better riding horses (of course I do not always succeed at this, some horses do not appreciate beginners!) Riding horses is the ONLY reason I can still walk on my own two feet, I was in an electric wheelchair for years before I started riding again, but riding horses got me OUT of the wheelchair, and when my wheelchair wore out I did not have to replace it.

Riding horses can be good physical therapy for brain damaged people, in a controlled environment. If I had not gotten back into riding horses regularly again I would now probably be completely crippled and in a nursing home.

You might have to take a different path like I did. Be gentle with yourself and your body. Stop “punishing” yourself for what you can no longer do. I had to start with a LOT of walking, lots and lots of walking, so I ended up exploring all the ways that training just at a walk can improve a horse.

Oh, another thought, since I have a lot of problems with my brain and spinal cord I avoid doing much sitting trot, maybe a few strides here and there to get a point across to the horse. I think that the sitting trot is BAD for injured brains and spinal cords, and this is just my opinion because I have no proof. This sort of rules out dressage for me, at least for competitions.

PM me if you want to “talk.”

Take care.

5 Likes

Glad that some people have weighed in with personal experience and helpful advice for you after the first responders doubted and attempted to beat you down. Best of luck with your endeavours!

1 Like