Unlimited access >

Probiotics for dog's teeth?

My 8 yr old former street dog has periodontal disease, presumably due to her rough start in life. As I have the same challenges with my own teeth, I got into a discussion with my dentist today. She gave me the name of a particular probiotic that will allegedly help keep down tartar/plaque build up. They sell the people version but she has a client (dog groomer) who claims it has helped a number of her doggie clients.
Anyone heard of this? Used it? Name is Pro Biora.
My dog is super sweet but there is no way she would cope with me trying to brush her teeth. I’m tempted to try this as a possible way to help her teeth stay around longer…

I’ve used Proden Plaque Off! on all my dogs over the years. Works quite well. My recent rescue had a dental before I adopted her and at her vet visit last year she said her teeth were excellent and very clean (she did have a few removed before I got her). I’ve always brushed my dogs’ teeth…but not this one. Chi-cross, so tiny mouth, tiny teeth, and can get a bit snarly.

2 Likes

Dr. Judy Morgan also sells herbal dental drops that you just drop onto their gums.

I second the Proden Plaque Off!

One of my greyhounds was pronounced due for a dental and in an effort to stave that off, I started her on the Plaque Off and a daily CET Virbac dental chew. At her next exam, her teeth were declared “excellent.”

I do not brush either. Just not gonna happen.

1 Like

The main ingredient in proden plaque off is kelp/seaweed. I was told to try this one as its much cheaper and pretty much does the same thing. I have noticed my girls teeth are very white since adding it to her diet and the bag will last me years! I do also add a probiotic.

1 Like

I started my dog on the ProBright I saw advertised.
No noticeable difference in a month, but likely too soon to tell, will definitely look into that Ocean Kelp product.

The Probiora is on special right now on Chewy. Its $9 instead of $20.00 I may get one just to see how it goes with my one dog who has slightly stinky breath regardless of what she eats.

1 Like

oh ill check that out.
I really need to rein in my Chewy habit too though…

1 Like

Well I have a Chewy habit also but think I will take advantage of the sale…Glad to have the input here!

1 Like

Not to derail, but does anyone have any good suggestions on dental treats that I can give daily?

As mentioned upthread, I have been getting the CET Virbac ones. Doggos 1 and 2 absolutely love them, but our new girl does not. She seems to have very simple tastes.

A daily Costco knockoff Greenie has seemed to help my greyhound and he likes them. Frozen raw turkey necks did wonders but I don’t have a good spot for him to enjoy this disgusting delicacy outside and alone.

For the Proden Plaque Off, what form are you using? Treats or powder?

I may have to try the greenies!

I use the powder form of the Plaque Off.

My dog eats a greenie so darn fast.
There not a lot of chewing, it’s so frustrating.

1 Like

Lifeline;

More eonomic kelp; https://www.herbco.com/search.aspx?searchterm=Kelp

Probiora;

Probright;

Enlightening article;

1 Like

Interesting about spraying the probio’s into the mouth. My dog is a hoover with her food, she does chew but meal seems gone in very short order. I might give the spraying a try…

So I’m very intrigued with this but does the iodine and such interfere with nutrition? Maybe this is a dumb question but I guess it’s mine. lol

The one I use is supposed to go in food, but I give it as an after dinner treat, with the idea of it thus sits on teeth longer (of that’s even how any of this works).

My dog had had it a month and her teeth do not look magically better. Dental coming this summer.

I got the Probiora and started it this weekend. I will post if I smell results.

Buma’s teeth are great with no buildup, but this is for stinky breath.

Bulk probiotics;

follow up on the Probiora.

I purchased it due to Buma’s smelly breath. The container was on sale for $9 so I figured,…why not. Retail it closer to $20.00

I noticed a slight change in her stinky breath, but not enough of a change to continue the produce at the $20.00 price tag.