Unlimited access >

Probiotics for dog's teeth?

I’d recommend trying the Life Line Ocean Kelp supplement. I’ve had my dog on it for the last 3 weeks or so (after reading about it here), and his breath has noticeably improved.

It’s also pretty economical, especially given that a 20 lb dog (the weight my dog is) only needs 1/4 teaspoon a day. I sprinkle it on his kibble (which is also dampened with water), and he eats it right up.

2 Likes

I second this (Life Line Ocean Kelp). Since adding it to my girls dinner, just 1 tsp a day, her breath is much better and her teeth even seem to be whiter (though her breath wasn’t super bad nor did she have bad plaque, but I wanted to get ahead of it before it got too bad!).

1 Like

I just added the Life Line Ocean Kelp to my Amazon purchase. Thank you!

My new greyhound has terrible teeth and breath, he’s due a dental in a couple of weeks but I believe he’ll need something for his teeth. What product would you recomend? He is very picky, he didn’t like any dental chew I oroposed him…do you believe it would be better trying proibiotics or kelp based products? He has a huge build up and paradontitis

1 Like

If your new greyhound was my dog, I would do the dental, and then start with LIfe Line Ocean Kelp. I just started it for my two, after doing a container of the Probiora for my stinky breath dog.

I have good eaters and feed a rehydrated food. Both of them do not seem to mind the kelp.

BUT both of my girls have white non issue teeth. Just one with stinky breath.

2 Likes

Our 13yo Russell terrier has a benign, slow-growing mass in his lower jaw/under his tongue that makes his mouth tender and has rearranged his teeth over time. He’s a very happy, hardy little guy, and this doesn’t trouble him much, but he’s always had terrible teeth and truly vile breath. Because of the tenderness in his mouth, brushing is out. I saw this thread and thought, what the heck, and bought the Life Line Ocean Kelp, thinking it would have no impact.

I was wrong. It really has helped! The fishy odor hasn’t disappeared 100 percent, but it is vastly better. Really surprised and pleased me.

3 Likes

Great news!!

Ok I found a kelp based product (another brand, Life Line is not available here) and tonight I fed it to both dogs - just a small dose- they weren’t fan :joy: do your dogs like it?

I started kelp because of this thread, first with proden plaque off, then with life line.

In case anyone hasn’t gone from one to the other, the lifeline scoop is MUCH larger than the proden scoop, and holds more than 3x the proden scoop.

(Blue is proden)

I’ve continued to use the smaller scoop. It’s a big difference!

eta: the clear lifeline scoop holds 1/4 tsp

I’ve been feeding the LifeLine to my two dogs for now about 4 weeks or so. They’re both around 20 lbs, so they only have to get 1/4 teaspoon, once a day. The scoop that Lifeline provided is 1/4 teaspoon, and it looks smaller than the pic that @Simkie posted above.

My dogs have just eaten it sprinkled on their kibble which is moistened with water. They’re not bothered by it at all. Admittedly, they probably would (and sometimes do) eat anything resembling food, so they’re not necessarily good test cases for its palatibility!

I think it just looks large compared to the blue scoop. Yeah, the clear one that came with lifeline is 1/4 tsp.

Wait, you guys got a scoop in your 5lb bag of Life Line Kelp? I guess our Canadian version is cheap as no scoop lol! I just use a tsp from my drawer for my girl.

Nah, I ordered this:

https://a.co/d/9i60NKF

Five pounds would be a lifetime, even with my hoarde of house animals :joy:

A tsp is 4x the scoop that comes with, or, like 12+ times the scoop that comes with the Proden version. You must have a big girl!

I guess the smaller ones comes with a scoop (though that was the US site so I can’t see a price and it says unavailable to me).

She’s big but not that big ha ha! I also give it to my horses. I have read its good for insulin control and I have a EMS pony now. They need about 1/3 oz a day (so 10g). My dog gets 1 tsp/day.

I got a small bag of the Life Line Kelp, and there was no scoop, so I just use a teaspoon. My husband feeds dinner and he just grabs containers. I have learned that even when labeled with AM, PM he does not see it. He does see the names of the dogs thank goodness.

Since he just grabs, I split .5 teas in my 100 pounder girl and .25 in the 60 pounder pup in each feeding.

Perhaps cut it in half?

Or am I short changing my dogs by cutting the dose in half???

I don’t think so!

The Proden directions are:

Small dogs and cats up to 25 lbs: 1/2 - 1 scoop
Medium dogs 25-50 lbs: 1-2 scoops
Large & giant dogs 50 + lbs: 2-3 scoops

The 1/4 tsp scoop that comes with the Lifeline holds a bit more than 3 of the Proden scoops…so it’s a little smaller than 1/12 tsp? Let’s just call it 1/12.

So that’s

Small dogs and cats up to 25 lbs: 1/24 tsp - 1/12 tsp
Medium dogs 25-50 lbs: 1/12 tsp - 1/6 tsp
Large & giant dogs 50 + lbs: 1/6 tsp - 1/4 tsp

1 Like

Thanks Simkie!

I found that half a dose twice a day is more platable for the larger dog.

You can buy Kelp as powder or granules.
Depending on what you bought and size of scoop, the amount will differ.

Lifeline is granules. (Bulkier)
Proden is powder. (More concentrated)

Yes.

No, it’s not. What makes you think that?

The Lifeline bag I have is powder. I am doing it every morning manually in the full dose when I feed. That way DH does not have to worry about it.