Unlimited access >

Protecting your phone at the barn?

I’ve had to replace two phones in a row right at the 18 mo mark due to damage from arena and barn dust. The first one was in a light case, and had the logic board go bad. The second one I’ve kept in an OtterBox defender, and the front camera array has gone out, and it’s showing superficial wear from dust getting under the heavy duty case and inside all the ports. The barn I’m at now is not very busy, so I’m usually riding and tacking up alone, so I don’t feel like leaving my phone in the car is an option safety-wise. Does anyone have better ideas than the OtterBox Defender case, which clearly didn’t work? There must be something more sealed. How do you keep from constantly replacing your phone if you take it to the barn?

Both phones were iPhones, and I have enough stuff in the Apple ecosystem that I’m sort of stuck with that. I have the same one for work and it’s still in great condition even though I use it in a manufacturing environment frequently. Only difference is it stays in the car at the barn.

My first thought was Otter Box, I had great luck with mine. Do you keep your phone in your breeches pocket by any chance? I do. That seems to help some.
Going to follow this thread as I’ve wondered the same thing. Dust creeps into every last crevice it can find.

1 Like

I also keep my phone in a pocket almost always; iPhone as well. I haven’t had any issues to date with that. I just have a cheapee case as well.

2 Likes

I keep it in my pocket on breeches new enough to have them, and in the waistband on my older ones. In the winter I even have it in a zipped vest pocket. I feel like I have to keep it on me for safety reasons. I thought the defender case was going to do the trick, but every port is still full of arena dust and it needs a $350 repair. :frowning:

1 Like

I did a quick google search, have you thought about a case designed for swimming/diving? That might do the trick.

4 Likes

That’s what I’m leaning towards, although some of them don’t seem to cover all the ports. Maybe I need to put it in a sealed bag while it’s at the barn. :joy:

My barn is very busy, so I do usually leave mine in the car unless I need to photograph or video something.

What about something designed for running, like a waist belt?

If you keep it in your pocket, I’d maybe just suggest some sort of a plastic or leather wallet that zips. I realize it’s an extra step to reach it, but it would keep the phone “sealed.” When I did ride more frequently alone, I’d just take the phone in my wallet and wear a jacket or vest that accommodated it.

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/SENDEFN-Leather-Wallets-Blocking-Yellow/dp/B09M6X8VHL/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?crid=15IGO7NYR6WSS&keywords=wristlet&qid=1666878287&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI4LjU4IiwicXNhIjoiOC40MCIsInFzcCI6IjcuODQifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=wristlet%2Caps%2C93&sr=8-3-spons&th=1

1 Like

I use a running belt for phone, ID, keys etc when hiking. Aka glorified high tech fanny pack. Or you could go low tech and put it in a ziplock baggie.

3 Likes

I am surprised that your barn is so dusty that your phone has now twice had to be replaced from it.
I do not have an Iphone but I have two friends (laugh, not the biggest test subject group I know) who both have pretty old Iphones and they both ride in what I consider a dusty indoor and their phones seem to not care. One of them I am not even sure has a protective case on their phone.

3 Likes

I’ve used iPhones since about iPhone 6. Never had any problems with dust/debris/water. I use my phone extensively for photography, and like to keep it handy.
I do keep a good glass screen protector on them. I was using an inexpensive holster/case and carrying the phone clipped to my belt. Lately I have been using a Peak Design case, with a “Cuff” (think short leash) permanently attached. I carry the phone in my shoulder bag for the most part, or in my hip pocket (kinda nervous), or a jacket pocket when riding. I keep the “cuff” clipped to something when it’s not around my wrist. I’m always on the lookout for better carry options for in-saddle photography, but the Cuff has saved me a couple of times for sure.
Keep your phone clean: take it out of its case and wipe it down with a microfiber cloth moistened with ~50% Isopropyl alcohol and water (Rubbing Alcohol) after a dusty day at The Barn. If you are getting dust build-up in the phones charging port, clean it out regularly with some canned air, or one of those squeeze-bulb dusters they sell for cameras. You can also get foam “Q-tips” with a pointy end (Amazon, eBay, office supply store?) that will let you clean out the corners. Again, moisten with IPA/water.
Also get a wireless charger so you aren’t having to put so much wear and tear on the lightning connector. The next gen. iPhones are supposed to be USB-C, which is a considerably more robust connector. Keep your fingers crossed.
Hope this helps.

1 Like

I don’t know if the newer models are just more prone to failure, or if I’ve gotten pretty unlucky, but the way they’ve both failed seems to be due to dust and shock. I’ve generally been able to keep my older model iPhones 3-4 years each without issue, but I also wasn’t riding in an indoor at the time. Maybe the dusty indoor is incidental and the phones just suck, but it doesn’t seem like friends who don’t ride are going through them this fast.

I’ve had the same iPhone since ~2019 and I am not kind to it. It’s fallen out while I’m riding and spent the rest of my ride sitting in the sand, fallen into water buckets, and it probably falls onto the concrete aisle at least once a week. There’s definitely some dust inside the case (knockoff Otterbox from walmart) but it has not failed me yet. I think some people just have bad luck with phones.

3 Likes

If you are keeping it in a pocket or something, then that’s going to keep more dust off of it than most cases. I think maybe you’ve just had really bad luck.

Yeah, it’s tough to tell if it’s luck or something I’m doing with a small sample size as an individual. It’s expensive bad luck though.

2 Likes

What about one of those equestrian Fanny packs that attach to your belt? Keeps it on you and out of the dust.

I use a runners belt and otter box case with no issues. Phone is going on 3 years old. I do take the case off and clean monthly

Mine is in my pocket unless I need to use it. I have pants/breeches/leggings that have the pocket on the thigh. Works peachy (iPhone 10 and iPhone 12). I don’t want anything bigger than those and they fit and stay securely in said pocket.

Susan

I ride in a “caution” vest, and keep my phone in the pocket of that. My breeches are old enough not to have phone pockets (and are occasionally also sweaty enough that the ugg factor applies).

I have noticed it a few times when dismounting, but that’s all, and I don’t drop the thing.

One of these, with a long inner pocket that completely holds the phone (no falling out):

Why do you need a phone on your person when riding in an arena? Leave it in the car.

1 Like

If you get dumped when you’re alone, it’s pretty convenient. Or even if you’re not alone but other people are in other areas of the barn. Also, some people do cram their riding into the edges of their workday, and may need a phone for work stuff.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S9 rugged phone, in a hard case and with a screen protector. It’s getting old, so I am looking at replacements, looking at phones made for construction workers for example.

5 Likes