Unlimited access >

Protecting your phone at the barn?

When you are riding by yourself it is best to have some way to communicate with the outside world in a handy location. If you fall off and are injured to the point of not being mobile, your phone in your car will do you no good.

6 Likes

I’ve never had this issue, nor do I know anyone who has had this issue. Not in Ohio in indoor arenas 3/4 of the year, nor in Florida in outdoor arenas all year. I wonder if it’s a problem with the type of arena sand at your barn, or infrequent maintenance causing excessive arena dust?
In addition to a regular case, you could try using a sealed/waterproof fanny pack or arm band phone holder. Ex:

Amazon.com: RevereSport Waterproof Running Armband for Phone with Case On (Otterbox, Lifeproof). Sports Phone Holder Compatible iPhone 14/13/12/11/SE/Pro Samsung S22/S21/S20/S10 : Cell Phones & Accessories

Safety. Funny enough, people can fall off their horse in an arena just as easily as on a trail.

2 Likes

I’ve never had this issue and don’t know anyone who has, and I am NOT kind to my phone. However, I’ve used these to keep sand out on the beach and they work very well. Tons of brands to choose from.

PortPlugs Dust Plugs https://a.co/d/6PPp7FZ

What about a Lifeproof case or I currently have a Ghostek case?

You have to make sure you are getting the cases that are waterproof to keep the dust out. I like the Lifeproof cases better than the one I have currently, just because I found the cover on the cameras better. I always keep my phone with me at the barn and while they do occasionally need a clean, I’ve never had them just die. I have an iPhone 13 after having my iPhone 6S for 6 years without incident.

2 Likes

So another option is the apple watch. Yes it’s expensive, but if you fall off and knock yourself unconscious, you’re not going to be able to make a phone call anyways. The watches now have the impact response for just this scenario. I only pay an extra $10/month for the service so it can work away from my phone.
I had my parents buy one for me for my birthday last year. I do go out on trail around the property by myself. If I fell off and got hurt, no one would know unless the horse came back to barn without me. I don’t worry as much when I ride by myself now late at night.
I do take care of the watch and clean it regularly and I have a protective face cover since I do tend to whack my arms and hands on random things.
Just another option if you get tired of buying cases.

2 Likes

I have a years old one similar to this one, but smaller, mini iPhone sized.
Has been in our dust and wind for years and phone lasted 6 years, had to upgrade this year, as it was too old to support newer programs.
Old one still worked and could not have been in any worse places, including being dropped in stock tanks at times.
Mine is a medium blue with small black horse silhouettes.
I hang mine from the jeans belt loop:

100%

I have one, but I don’t have the cellular version, so my phone has to be pretty close. I found the cellular model didn’t work well so I didn’t pay extra for it this time around. For whatever reason it never got my calls and texts in the arena, but my phone does.

I am riding a young horse at a small barn. It might take hours or even days for someone to notice if I’m unable to get up and walk out on my own. Having a phone with me is non-negotiable. It isn’t possible for me to always have someone with me when I ride, although I wish it was.

Edit: The arena is not connected and is quite a distance from the main barns.

2 Likes

Depends on the layout of the barn, too. I went to one spot where the horse’s stall and tacking area were just far enough away from the arenas that if the horse clocked me, nobody would know.

I personally ride a lot of trail by myself. It’s tame trail: both horse and I know every inch of it, but still, I carry a whistle as well as my phone, so if I come off and horse makes it home again, folks will have some chance of finding me (presuming I’m conscious.) I never answer the phone while I’m on the horse: that seems nuts to me. But I know people who do.

1 Like

Otter boxes have really good warranties. Have you contacted them?
For your new phone make sure you get the right otter box. you need the waterproof shockproof one not the regular one

I have no advice…
But ive never met a horse girl without a cracked phone. Leave it in your car if you want to keep it nice.

Buy a lifeproof brand case. Pricey, but well worth it. My phone is 3+ years old, and is in immaculate condition. I drop it all the time, on concrete more often than I’d like to admit, and it still looks brand new.

1 Like

I had an Otterbox originally but did not find it as dust-proof as I needed.

I use the Griffin Survivor case for my iPhone SE. “Survivor” is a good name- I had it fall out of my pocket into the ring sand, and heard the crunch as my horse cantered over it. The phone was fine, but I’m not a good learner- this happened twice before I got smarter about carrying it. That phone made it to the 5-year mark before I replaced it due to battery degradation. Now I use a belt clip. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just FWIW, any of the newer iPhones (X and newer, anyway)(many/most Android phones as well) carry an IP68 water/dust rating. Google if you need details, but basically this means that you really should not have problems related to contaminants entering your device in anything like normal conditions.
If your arena/barn is that horribly dusty, it probably constitutes a health hazard, both for you and the resident Equines. Seems unlikely, however.
Most likely the problems you are seeing lie elsewhere, so carefully evaluate your daily handling of the device, and make changes as appropriate. Just sayin’ :slight_smile:
And do keep it clean . . .
(edit to add) A case that is trapping, and holding contaminants up against the phone isn’t helping matters, regardless . . .

2 Likes

We don’t get cell reception at our house/ farm and I imagine if riding out it would be no different in some places.

Most of the time I would think there is someone around at a boarding situation. It was the norm before there were cell phones attached to everyone? We did just fine.

Just put the phone in a size appropriate zip lock bag. No dust will get in there and it is inexpensive and not bulky?

1 Like

Yeah, horse folks are hard on their phones. I always have a case (slim otter box knockoff) and just keep it in my breech thigh pocket or zippered vest pocket. If i am riding in tights that don’t have a pocket the phone goes in a belt bag or slim Fanny pack. Extra bonus is the Fanny pack has 2 compartments, so I can toss a couple treats in there too. Just make sure it’s a small/slim line one otherwise it bounces too much. Easy-peasy and my phones live long, happy lives.

If all else fails, look into apple care or your cell carrier might offer a device replacement insurance option.

Get a thigh bag meant for riders and keep your phone in that. It will keep the dust away and it’s less likely for your phone to fall out of your pocket/waistband in case of horse shenanigans. I can’t find mine right now to take a picture but it helps. I use it when I go trail riding or if I’m at the barn by myself

1 Like

I have used one of these, and found it to be a useful tool . . . until one of the straps broke. But that doesn’t negate the “useful” part; just means you have to find a good one.
Equestrian activities are probably harder on these than their normal design specification.
Can you recommend one?

1 Like

You would be wrong for many of us at many boarding barns.

You’re certainly welcome to cling to your ways of “before”, as those of us that appreciate advances in technology and safety are free to utilize them as we see fit.

11 Likes