Unlimited access >

Purchasing my first hunter/jumper

Noooo! You will live to regret this, and may find you spend the price of a made hunter many times over before/if the horse ever develops into what you want. It is definitely NOT this simple as what you’re describing here.

But I understand your situation. I was in a similar position (first horse was an older packer who passed away from melanoma in just a year; I wanted a younger horse and found myself gravitating to the “good for a junior or amateur in a program” ads).

It’s hard because no one out there is struggling to find owners for the type of horse you really need. People aren’t rushing to sell their sound, sane horses who are confirmed in their training—they sell young projects, or ones with issues that show up in regular work, or mysterious pasts they can gloss over with a veneer of training that you can only hope to maintain with a trainer at home. The question you have to ask yourself is, if the difference between a “made” horse and one of these restarted projects could really be made up in a 90-days’ professional program, why wouldn’t the seller keep them long enough to do that themselves? It’s because there is more volume and more value for them in selling the unknown/unproven. All those ads that say “absolutely no buck, no spin, no rear” are basically just admitting they haven’t put enough rides on the horse in enough environments to know any better—and they don’t want to. They want to be ignorant, they want you to be ignorant, and hopefully you get lucky with the horse you bring home and have the right help (even if it takes a lot longer than 90 days), but it is entirely possible that you do not.

But, at the same time, buying a horse is always a crapshoot. You could get the perfect, made hunter and have it quickly deteriorate under your ownership—either a physical issue, or not a match for you, or not thriving in the training environment you can afford to provide. I feel like the only people I’ve seen not struggle in some capacity are leasers. All horse owners are confronted with setbacks behaviorally or physically at some point and to some extent, and any riding goals have to take a backseat to training/rehab. So I’m sure everyone is telling you this is a terrible plan, but somewhat fatalistically, I say go for it, but buckle up and be prepared for a bumpy ride. As long as you’re mentally prepared for setbacks and a circuitous route to progress, you can find you enjoy the journey of horse ownership even when your riding victories aren’t what you thought they would be.

3 Likes

You might consider leasing an experienced 2ft hunter or .65 jumper to get some good jumping lesson miles and some local show experience before moving forward. Our barn has a couple of these horses for short-term lease for re-riders (I’ve been there) and others in-between things, etc. These beloved J take the wheel horses are great for showing you how well and how awful you ride. As for the hunters, a rider in our barn just dropped 175k on a 2.6’ horse. Another lady can’t find a good prospect even with a budget of 200k. These people are competing mostly at AA shows, but it is useful to have this data, as terrible as it is.

8 Likes

I’m not surprised, but I’m still amazed. It is a crazy world we’re living in these days.

8 Likes

Seriously. Wasn’t one of the greys going at USET finals this year leased for the 2’6” job?

While that’s a testament to a fabulously trained horse with a great brain, it’s also a bit painful for the Average 2’6”er. “What do you mean the kid in my eq class has a USET horse?” :sob::sob:

Bonus points for riding your TB to a better ribbon, but still. Ouch.

1 Like

Yes, I think it was the horse with the rider who finished fourth at Gladstone.

I’m sure there are kids on expensive horses in the 2’6” divisions, but I think it’s mostly the adults who have the super fancy ones.

They are often the riders who are stepping down from the higher divisions as they get a little bit older, perhaps, and they can afford very, very nice horses for that job.

Coincidentally, some of those horses are doing the same thing. Lol.

4 Likes

Consider also whether your local barn would allow an inexperienced amateur adult to be out jumping on their own. Do they even have jumps?

2 Likes

Oh good point. Many barns do not allow jumping outside of lessons - and many that DO don’t have jumps that are worth using to train a green H/J horse. Hauling out to lessons with an actual course is possible, and a very knowledgeable rider can school around basics at home but have the skills to get the horse it’s experience just at shows.

For example, jumping a single xrail and some logs at home is great until you get to a show and even the 2’ flower boxes blow your horse’s mind. Happened to me recently - even the roll top and barrels at home just didn’t prep the horse for (really basic, home barn style) hunter jumps.

2 Likes

Totally. My D is at a small college with an Equestrian Center in New England and they definitely have some very decent horses on occasion that just would do better with their own person and a simpler lifestyle. They look for the best home and fit for the animal.

1 Like