Unlimited access >

Quarter horse names: Interesting, weird, funny, memorable.

I knew of a quarter horse that was named

Dun it in a Dually.:smiley:

4 Likes

My appendix mare was Blazing The Pages - she was a Paige Impressive mare (HYPP n/n) and an amazing jumper, but that was the dumbest name. We didn’t change it for shows either. If they’re registered, I use that name for showing, unless it’s completely derogatory.

My first horse was Heavenly Masterpiece - gag me with a spoon. Still used it for showing though.

2 Likes

[QUOTE=Mukluk;8728929]
I knew of a quarter horse that was named

Dun it in a Dually.:D[/QUOTE]

Hahaha that’s funny! I’ve had some QH’s with some pretty awful names…one was Prissy Mistress (UGH!), another was Sabrina Dance (Appendix mare, by the Investor, changed her name to Nice Investment, figured she deserved a better show name!), and I had one who I actually really loved his name, he was by Luck Too and his name was Gotta Be Luck. I loved that!

I had one named Lynx Dox Sox. His sire was Mr Holey Sox

Knew others named Budthewizer, Check My Whiz, and Wright Enough

QH names are fun.

1 Like

My mare’s dam was “Hardtack’s Wirecut”. The mare was Erin O’Gates by Bar None Gates (this was a very long time ago), and she was born on - you guessed it, St. Patrick’s Day… and it goes without saying she was a redhead.

But her dam’s name always had my interest since it had no relation to her sire/dam other than the farm name Hardtack showing up. She was from a working ranch, so I always imagined when it came time to name that mare, she was probably a red filly whose most identifying characteristic was that she had a wirecut scar. :smiley:

Used to have a horse at shows that was named “Larkin At My Assets” :smiley:

Just bought my first QH a month ago, registered name is “Dreamin Sheza Harley” which I think is kind of cute.

2 Likes

A horse I used to know was named Zippo’s Double Good. He was double bred ZPB on the top and bottom.

1 Like

My all time number one favorite was: Shezsoezshezsleezi --or something like that but the spelling might be off --it came in at the allowed limit for letters in a name. i knew of a horse who showed under the perfectly acceptable name of Commander Clarke --whose new owner changed it and showed him under “Pot Roast.” --my own horse is only registered by his brand --4D --I added WD to make it WD-4D --kind of a play on WD-40 that used to have the slogan --makes everything work better --as does my horse. There’s a local horse that’s named “I’ve got a Nick in my Zipper” --needless to say, more than a few have “renamed” him as something else in his zipper . . .

Foxglove

2 Likes

Haha, I forgot about the sheza/heza/itza horses. There were also the “tuf” horses. Tuffy this, Thatter Than Tuff, etc.

The coolest one I saw in a sale catalog, probably 20 years ago, was a horse called Smokinontheflipside. Was so hoping he was grey. Nope, bay.

[QUOTE=Tee;8729462]
The coolest one I saw in a sale catalog, probably 20 years ago, was a horse called Smokinontheflipside. Was so hoping he was grey. Nope, bay.[/QUOTE]

one of my geldings is bay and his name is Leo’s Smokin Rocket. maybe they are related.

QH/Paint names are bad. How about these:

Coke On Ice
Pass The Chicken
Famous Frosted Flakes
Just A Little Peckernod
Princess Fluffy

[QUOTE=High Whites;8729439]
Haha, I forgot about the sheza/heza/itza horses. There were also the “tuf” horses. Tuffy this, Thatter Than Tuff, etc.[/QUOTE]

When I was younger and the Tuf horses were big in the QH world, I worked at a TB breeding farm and got to weigh in on the names. We had a mare named Strut your Stuff and I SO DESPERATELY wanted to name one of her foals Tuffernhell. Oh well, we did get a “Hellofastrut” (by Ima Hell Raiser)…

I have an Appaloosa mare registered name Sand in My Panties. Her sire is Sand in My Zipper. We call her Sandy.

1 Like

My Appendix mare’s registered name is Misun a Millun…which describes what happens to your bank account when you own horses :). I have no idea why the name was chosen…the Million has to do with Millun Dollar Man bloodlines.

I have one named … Hope’s April Colt. Apparently the breeder just lost her enthusiasm for naming.

3 Likes

My very favorite QH was registered as Smart Gay Trouble. We showed him USEF under the name Double Trouble.

One of my all time faves, because I liked the horse so much as anything else, was a chromed up red horse, I think he was a strawberry roan with a blaze and socks, showing over fences at an AQHA show in S Cal many many years ago. AM Red Storm Rising. Really lovely horse.

1 Like

There’s a reiner on the circuit around here named WinnrWinnrChicnDinnr. His barn name is Chicken. He’s super cute. And a frequent winner.

5 Likes