Unlimited access >

Quarter horse names: Interesting, weird, funny, memorable.

I’ll never forget a horse from when I was a kid- chestnut mare with no white on her legs- named Pull Up My Socks

2 Likes

We had one in our barn years ago called Cee Bars Bugger. Thought that was pretty bad. And another super cute pony with some totally normal AQHA name and the kid’s parents changed it to Daddy’s Money. Gag.

I love QHs but for the most part I think the names are awful.

1 Like

Saw a cute one last week for a western pleasure horse - Full Drape :slight_smile:

Star Squaw Bar. We knew her as Tinkerbell…

One of my homebred geldings is registered as simply “Topless”. His sire’s registered name is Boogie Top and I thought it would be funny when I showed him to hear the announcer say “drawstraws riding topless”. Har har…

2 Likes

Mine are

Maybe Not a Hint (has a story, sire is HPH Colorful Hint, VERY loud. She was being born and they saw the white socks and were like MAYBE… but she’s just got the socks and blaze, no spots, so she’s Maybe Not…)

Mya Mia Cutie (Which if you change the spacing is My, am I a Cutie! Has nothing to do with her breeding, but is a kinda funny play on words I guess?)

The one I named: Reiner Shine (It backfired on me though, as despite being well bred for reining… he’s got no talent for it and is likely going to end up being primarily an English horse. He loves to jump! I entered him in his first jumper show as Rain or Shine, and if it gets to that I’ll try to passport him as that.)

1 Like

[QUOTE=fallenupright;8739680]
The one I named: Reiner Shine (It backfired on me though, as despite being well bred for reining… he’s got no talent for it and is likely going to end up being primarily an English horse. He loves to jump! I entered him in his first jumper show as Rain or Shine, and if it gets to that I’ll try to passport him as that.)[/QUOTE]

Out of curiosity, fallenupright, would he be a No Finer Shiner baby??

1 Like

[QUOTE=Dee-Vee;8751872]
Out of curiosity, fallenupright, would he be a No Finer Shiner baby??[/QUOTE]

Yep, he is! Looks a lot like No Finer Shiner too (ie, Palomino, blaze and socks!)

Why do you ask?

I love my daughter’s horses name - Art N Soul

My horse on the other hand is Storystrokinslo…Bleh!
My yellow horse is Dun It Golden Hot!

1 Like

[QUOTE=fallenupright;8752361]
Yep, he is! Looks a lot like No Finer Shiner too (ie, Palomino, blaze and socks!)

Why do you ask?[/QUOTE]

Because…small world that it is…one of his owners was my childhood best friend. We grew up in the sandbox together playing horses all summer long. We reconnected a few years ago on FB to find we both love and own Quarter Horses. I have not seen her since the day I said good-bye (we moved) when I was 10 years old. But I love seeing pictures of her horses and her children’s success with them.

I keep telling her tho that we need to see No Finer Shiner in black tack…she keeps laughing at me. Maybe your youngster instead??lol.

And that is the story… :D:D

I had a mare named My Incredible Dream. I had a video of her with that label on it and it was often the subject of raised eyebrow questions in my house.

[QUOTE=Dee-Vee;8753002]
Because…small world that it is…one of his owners was my childhood best friend. We grew up in the sandbox together playing horses all summer long. We reconnected a few years ago on FB to find we both love and own Quarter Horses. I have not seen her since the day I said good-bye (we moved) when I was 10 years old. But I love seeing pictures of her horses and her children’s success with them.

I keep telling her tho that we need to see No Finer Shiner in black tack…she keeps laughing at me. Maybe your youngster instead??lol.

And that is the story… :D:D[/QUOTE]

My guy would look lovely as a dressage pony (he looks lovely doing most things, really, and is a total ham to boot), and may event at some point. I just found a junior to maybe show him, she’s going to try him soon!

Its a small world sometimes though, eh? I bought him from the breeder too, up near Toronto!

My AQHA’s name isn’t too bad: You Bet Im Sweet. He’s an Art I Sweet baby and he really is a sweet horse. Total ham. Mischievous as well. I show him as King Creole but I think we may start doing some breed shows so I’m glad his name isn’t bad!

My mom’s old App was Screw Top Quanah. By K’s Quanah out of Screw Top Trixie. Poor guy…we just called him Jake.

Oh I own a mare who’s a QH/Paint and her reg. APHA name is “Coosa’s Playgirl”…yuck! Makes her sound like a stripper :lol: I mean, I guess she kinda acts like it when she’s in heat, but still!

I couldn’t change her name since she already had registered foals when I got her, but I show her under “Hoofprints in the Sand” instead (her barn name was “Sandie” when I got her and I thought it was cute and kept it and just thought of a show name to go along with it, and I love the poem Footprints in the Sand so that’s how her show name was born!) :slight_smile:

My sister had a bay named, “Honda Poco Bimbo” ick

Years ago a girl I knew who had alot of show horses, told her father she wanted a dun weanling. He said, only if I get to name him. His name, “Daddy’s Dun Buying”. Always loved that one…

3 Likes

Leisure Bar Elle was my first horse. She was a fiery buckskin. Nothing leisurely about her.

Now, we own Buckle Pal. Blah! We call him Phoenix. He should win some sort of ambassador award because he represents the breed quite well. He’s been in more places that horses are not supposed to be. We take him to the VA, schools, parades, fast food drive thrus (he loves fries)…everywhere. He’ll let anyone on for a pony ride and let the smallest child hug his face. He loves having his face touched. He’ll close his eyes and hold very still. Weird for a horse, but it’s great for wheelchair patients at the VA Hospital and the little Pre-K kids at our son’s Catholic school. We lined up 80 kids and he let every single one pet his face or kiss his nose. Our priests each took him for a ride in the parking lot. Absolute gem of a horse. But never earned us a buckle, lol!

2 Likes

as a child, my mother had a nice foundation mare called ‘Badger Super Kitty’. she was a truly incredible mare.

1 Like

Oooh! Badger lines were neat! I knew some Badger horses when I lived out west.

[QUOTE=microbovine;8759232]
Oooh! Badger lines were neat! I knew some Badger horses when I lived out west.[/QUOTE]

she was by far one of the best horses we ever had.

1 Like

Not a Quarter Horse, but I used to know a Standardbred named “Clinton’s Mistress”.

My AQHA is named Kiddin Good Time. I love it, but at the same time, the name doesn’t make a lot of sense. Were they kidding about having a good time? Maybe she was born when it was good time for goats to kid? Her sire was Kiddin N Streakin, which is equally humorous.