Unlimited access >

Question about a stray kitty

For optimum kitty fur, I feed some human ($$) tuna and liquid once or twice per week. Also canned Salmon has lots of omegas. Or fish oil.
I also give raw eggs, whipped, to my elderly hospice kitty mainly for hairballs but it also makes her coat soft and glossy. I think it’s the Vit. A and Lecithen in eggs.

3 Likes

Oh, I have never seen that movie or ever heard of it. Will have to try to see it. Hope I don’t cry.

Vet called me this morning and told me all his pre-anesthesia blood work was fine. She even offered to bathe him tomorrow when he is in for his neuter. I am sure it is not a freebie, but I was not looking forward to giving him a bath, so worth it for her or her tech to do it.

Awaiting a fresh fecal sample to test for internal parasites.

Still missing my previous kitty terribly. I broke down in the vet’s office yesterday.

15 Likes

It’s a Disney movie released in the early 80s. All the songs are by Billy Joel and its loosely based off of the Dicken’s tale Oliver Twist (thus the orange kitty’s name being Oliver). I sob during the first 5 minutes - but it has a happy ending.

Having the vet bathe him while under sedation is a good call :wink:

I’m so sorry about your previous cat. I had to PTS my heart kitty last June. I was fostering 2 litters of kittens from feral mamas at the time. Once thing that helped is that we kept one of those kittens, and I was happy that she got to meet and “know” my heart boy before he started to rapidly decline. I think he would have approved of our choice to keep this particular kitten since she was the only one out of all 8 babies that he let sleep next to him. But we never forget. I still cant quite bring myself to look at the clay paw print impression or even hold the box with his ashes. Maybe someday. Just not yet.

3 Likes

I loved hardboiled egg whites but hate yolks. When I crack an egg open, Milo comes sprinting over since our new morning routine is that I eat the white, and he gets to lick the yolk. He never takes more than 5 or 6 licks (its pretty rich) but its so funny to me how the sound of an egg cracking now elicits the same response as the can opener on a tuna can. The other kitties do not share his enthusiasm for cooked egg yolk, but his coat is super soft and shiny!

2 Likes

Great idea. Is there a big nutritional difference between the raw and the hard boiled? I hard boil a couple of eggs a few times a week and throw the cooked yolk away.

Usually cooking destroys some vitamins but I really don’t know here. I’ve never tried hard boiled eggs for the kitty but she LOVES the raw ones. So does my dog.

Male calicos are quite rare, like maybe 1 in 3000 I think? I would love to see a picture of your little prick. :rofl:

3 Likes

Ralph has very thick and rough layered short fur. He also has a ridgeback that stands up when he’s angry or excited. Ella has a much thinner and very soft coat and it always feels cool to the touch. The Kittens With Mittens’s fur is dense and semi-soft, Billie’s and JC’s are soft. All cats fur types are different in my experience.

4 Likes

Yes, that is the ratio I’ve heard… 1 in 3000 calicos are male. Apparently his genetics will be XXY. He’s all boy though. I’ll try to post a pic, I haven’t had a lot of success with that here recently.[i[img]

[/img]mg]http://[/img]

8 Likes

oh, chunky! :hugs:
Safe for the white and the undiluted colors…he looks like my chunky Calico. including the smirk! just don’t mistake him for the pony and throw a saddle on him!

I have officially named the culvert kitty “Oliver.”

Some observations: He doesn’t play in boxes or paper bags, totally ignores them. Loves catnip and catnip toys. Will play tug-of-war with a toy on a string. The first morning of him being here, I discovered a large Temptations container, originally on a kitchen counter, that was spilled open in the living room. Not sure how many he ate, would have loved to see him carry that.

Since he is going in for neutering this morning, he had nothing to eat after 8 pm last night. He was pretty good about that and not crying too much for food. This morning about 3:30 a.m. I woke up and he was playing in the bed with a little feather toy, stripping it of its feathers. I took it and hid it under the blanket. Went back to sleep. A short time later he is back with a wand with feathers on it, stripping those, too. I did end up playing with him for a while and finally he got tired and we both end back to sleep. When I went out to the kitchen this morning, I discovered that he must have been looking for food again. Had knocked a few things off the counter. He is a hunter, very observant to any noise in the house that might be prey (but there is none, I hope).

5 Likes

<3 seems like you will need to secure the food…especially the Temptation box! It IS known as cat crack…especially the catnip kind! :rofl:

The Temptations are all now in a cabinet. Hopefully he won’t be able to open that up. I will have to get a little bag of that capnip flavor!

3 Likes

they are often out, so stock up when you see them! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

He’s gorgeous!

Isn’t he a Caliby though?

2 Likes

He sounds adorable. I love that he was bringing you the toys. And I would have paid good money to see him dragging that container of treats thru the house so he could “kill” it and eat it.

Did the vet give you any idea how old he was or did I miss that?

3 Likes

She thinks he is less than a year old, maybe 9 months or so, old enough to be quite interested in the girls. They always assign a birthday even if it is a guesstimate. She gave him Valentine’s Day, February 14, 2021, as being close enough.

6 Likes

Oh poor kitty - to be so young and outside neglected. V-Day is the perfect birthday. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I always give my pets the day that I found them or got them.

1 Like

Yes, apparently he is. I had to google it, because I hadn’t heard that term before, but yes, you are right! He’s my baby boy. And he loves his mommy.

Never heard of this. Looking at your lovely cat OP I would never have thought of him as a Calico. Most Calico cats I have had ( or seen) have almost zero white. He is lucky to have found you :slight_smile:

Learned something new.