Unlimited access >

Question about a stray kitty

I was told that calicos have three colors with a LOT of white (like my current calico, Chloe, does). On the other hand, I was told that tortoiseshells did NOT have white (like my long-ago, dilute Tortie, Micah Mystic Whisper).

4 Likes

I thought my Ella was a Torbie(tortoiseshell/tabby) all these years only to have a few vets say that sheā€™s actually a Torbico(tortoiseshell/calico/tabby). I had never heard of the term Torbico, itā€™s basically a Torbie with the white spotting gene.

2 Likes

The vast majority of calicos that Iā€™ve seen, including the one I had, had large patches of white.

2 Likes

How often/how much egg do you feed? A whole egg seems to be a significant percent of a catā€™s meal size.

I thought I might try that for a couple of our cats - in particular one has a greasy-looking ruff. Iā€™ve had him since he was a kitten and heā€™s healthy, just always been like that, but it bothers me. So far Iā€™ve tried krill oil with no change.

Usually I whip 2 eggs, old lady cat may eat part of one, doggy eats the rest, twice per week.

My German Shepherd eats 6 raw eggs twice per week. Her fur is also soft and shiny.

The first two nights, Oliver, the culvert kitty, slept on the bed with me. Wednesday slept at the vetā€™s. Last night, I should have known he was making trouble as he never came to bed that I know of. This morning I find him spread out on the towel beside a chair. Then find an open 3 oz bag of Temptations with crumbs all over. I have a tote bag I bring into the hotel rooms for my previous kitty. It has brushes, toys, catnip, treats, etc. Had forgotten about it. He found an unopened bag of beef Temptations in the tote and then proceeded to help himself. I donā€™t think he got the entire contents (threw out the bag and canā€™t get it back now); there might have been some left around the edges and he opened the center of the bag. Called customer service and they told me there are between 160 and 170 treats in there @ 2 calories per treat.

See my avatar.

12 Likes

Iā€™m pretty sure Oliver is my spirit animal! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

5 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
he will be alright! Itā€™s just like tasty kibble! My heathens did that all the time, and I used the treats when I ran out of catfood with no ill effects.

I think I like your new buddy! :grin:

2 Likes

Oliver the culvert kitty is very lucky he found you. My kitties also like to raid the treat bag (and whatever else they can get into)

2 Likes

I used to have a tuxedo female, Gremlin, who would always find the treat jar (plastic) at night (of course!) and attempt to open it. In the morning, I would see two fang marks in the lid where she sank them in. Made me think ā€œVampire Kitty!ā€

4 Likes

Thanks @Marla_100! Thatā€™s about what my instincts were telling me so Iā€™ll go with it :smiley_cat:

And I transfer treats (generally freeze-dried chicken breast) to a jar, and one of my cats taught me never glass! I had to clean broken glass and small amount of remaining chicken dust off the floor a few times after Iā€™d forgotten to put the jar away, before that lesson stuck.

3 Likes

He sounds like Thomas. He was my first cat and didnā€™t believe in waiting on me if he wanted a snack. He chewed into a bag of coffee once, which resulted in me staying up all night to watch him while he slept. Lol

Bread or pastries werenā€™t safe from him either. I finally had to buy a bread box.

I used to buy the bonita flakes as a treat and they came in a container with a snap lid. One day I come home from work to find all the cats flat out on the kitchen floor with rounder than normal tummies.

There were teeth marks on the lid and body of the bonita container and Thomas had supplied all of them with treats. :joy:

Iā€™d love to meet Oliver. He sounds like the same kind of character. Give him a smooch from me. I miss my little moocher.v:)

5 Likes

I guess these are the ones I have seen. My newer, feral barn kitty is one of them.

Oh Oliver!

It will take awhile for his memories of food insecurity and hunger to go away. When our street kitty started living with us he was in rough shape. He was food aggressive, would hork down food like he would never see another meal in his life, and would strip and hide his toys (his prey) from my other cat. He eventually learned that he didnā€™t have to live in starvation mode, and stopped fighting for every meal and that toys were just toys, not a food source. He went on to be a happy, fat, lazy, and sassy boy. It just took a few weeks for him to realize that he hit the jackpot and food would always be there.

6 Likes

Went out to do some errands and he had found the bag of Fancy Feast dry on top of the refrigerator. It was on the floor with bite marks. He didnā€™t have time to get it open before I got home. I think that is the last of the goodies to be found, unless he teaches himself to open cabinet doors. I am going to look into some childproof cabinet latches.

Like you said it is food insecurity and you eat whatever you can find, when you find it.

5 Likes

One of my cats is VERY GOOD at opening cabinet doors. Luckily he just wants to ā€œnestā€ in the cabinet. He is not interested in opening food packages.

2 Likes

Congratulations on your new kitty @Joanne! Thank you so much for taking him in and making his life better! You are a good person!

7 Likes

Oh Oliver! I think I love him. What a character he is proving himself to be.

2 Likes

Any updates on this boy? He crossed my mind while I was feeding the horses today.

I sure hope he is showing some ā€œbloomā€ under your care.

1 Like

I believe the minute they have white on them theyā€™re technically calicos and not torties? Thatā€™s how Iā€™ve seen the colors defined.

1 Like