Unlimited access >

Question about a stray kitty

That’s what I’ve always thought was correct.

1 Like

This is what Ive always believed.

My Ella is confusing and has been the subject of a few debates among vets.

The first vet that saw her said she was a Caliby and not a Torbie because she had a small amount of white in her markings. I told her that I thought she was a Torbie because her mum was a full on tortoiseshell, I had saw her wandering around my house and saw that she had no white markings at all. Another vet told me she was a Torbie, I said that’s what I had thought but because she has a small amount of white spots on her I was told she wasn’t. Now the last vet that saw her said she is a Torbico because she displays Tortoiseshell, Tabby and Calico markings.

I could be wrong but I think they have isolated the genetics for tortoiseshell and calico as being different. There are other phenotypes within those categories but they have not figured out different genotypes for those variations?

2 Likes

That would make sense. My feral barn cat actually stayed within plain sight the other day and I realized she has a lot of white on her. The rest is black/ orange calico markings.

He is doing pretty good. Oliver learned that he likes being a lap cat last week for the first time. I have found his catnip mice in the bed in the morning quite a few times and his favorite feather wands in the bedroom so he is generous with his gifts.

Woke up this morning at about 3 a.m. with something in the bed. He gave me a soaked toy mouse. Threw it out of the bed and when I went to feed him breakfast, I found it in his water dish. Also one of the cabinets in the bathroom was opened this a.m. and that is a first.

He didn’t know about how nice it is to lounge and play in boxes, likes them now. Has a problem with people coming through the front door, doesn’t matter if it is me or someone else. Runs and appears scared. So we are working on that. I guess he must have been punished for getting near the door in his prior life.

And there is hair all over the place! I do not recall prior kitty who was a medium hair ever shedding this much. Have 4 different brushes/slickers/shedders and trying to make a dent.

Oh, in my original post, I was asking what it meant when he is trying to bury his food. Discovered that it is because it doesn’t meet his discerning palate. If I add a teaspoon of food he likes, he will eat it.

Sorry, my pictures suck even with having an Iphone.

18 Likes

maybe he is shedding his hobo coat, and it is spring…

3 Likes

Hope it doesn’t last too much longer. His coat is rough to me and vet doesn’t think it is going to be as soft as I would like. Love calling it a hobo coat.

2 Likes

yeah, some cats are not blessed with a snuggely soft fur. I ave one, she is as soft as bunny!

2 Likes

My! How quickly the stray cat learns to be so pampered! :rofl:

I am glad he is doing well, his antics entertain me.

5 Likes

He’s got your number! :rofl:

He’s super handsome!!!

2 Likes

He sure has!

1 Like

I forgot to mention the farts are numerous and quite pungent.

Smelly cat.

2 Likes

oh yay…fun. NOT. Let’s hope his digestive system improves and he becomes less …pungent.
Cat farts are worse than dog farts in my book any day. And Kitten farts…ought to be weaponized.

2 Likes

Interesting. I can’t remember ever noticing a fart from any of our cats - I guess we’ve been lucky.

But our current dog was bad when he was young. We tried a probiotic (can’t remember which one but we got it from Tractor Supply) and it seemed to solve the problem or at least reduce it to a level that we didn’t notice. Finished the container and the problem came back, resumed and it went away. Eventually we discontinued the probiotic again and this time the air stayed breathable. I don’t know if the same would work for a cat, or this case in particular, but it seems worth looking into.

3 Likes

Sweet Jesus…one of mine farts and the other five move in to investigate. :nauseated_face:

The other day Dizzy was running up the stairs and let out a fart at every 2nd stair. He actually stopped to turn around to see where the noise was coming from. :dizzy_face:

6 Likes

:rofl: that’s hilarious. I give PB8 probiotics pills (empty the powder out of the capsule into wet food) to my barn cats and 3 of the indoor cats. Helps a lot with diarrhea and stench. I get them from the vet.

he looks great! I had one that loved “drowning” his toys in the water bowl. He also liked splashing the water with his paws causing a mess. He eventually grew out of it.

1 Like

Sounds like something I need. Two of mine - omg… the smell from the box after the poo could be used as a weapon - it could clear a city. It clears of my house fer shirr. lol

3 Likes

$#%$^%( Oliver the cat!!!

Bought a package of tortillas yesterday. Went to use one today and they are gone from on top of the toaster.

Found them just now. Lesson learned.

20 Likes