Unlimited access >

Question for judges re: automatic releases

I’m just wondering if any of you judging equitation o/f classes see people using automatic releases, like most of us who showed in the 60’s and 70’s were taught?

Although I no longer show, while spectating at a number of California shows, and in looking through numerous pictures in the Chronicle, Show Circuit and the AHSA Horse Show magazine, I must admit all I see is crest releases, right up through the recent AHSA and Maclay Medal finals winners. (Despite GM’s constant comments that people should be progressing past a crest release to an auto release/following hand…)

I read a recent comment on this bb from someone who didn’t even know what an auto release was, and it got me wondering whether many of the current trainers ever used one when they were showing, and/or even know how (and try) to teach it?

Do any of you think it will ever come back into favor in the eq divisions?

“Of course, that’s just my opinion. I could be wrong.” - Dennis Miller

thank you, thank you, thank you…

That is wonderful.
Nice to hear that the auto release is appreciated by some Judges!!

Perhaps some of the “Younger” generation will read this thread and think about it, and not poopoo and put down this way of riding.

I guess a person is allowed to dream haha

Wow I had to come back and correct that!!!
I wrote “crest” release, instead of auto!!!
I will not be a sheep, I will not be a sheep.

In a Jimmy Wofford (multiple eventing Olympian)clinic he introduced the automatic release to the most advanced group of the day by having them hold the reins upside down (meaning instead of your pinky and ring finger being closest to the horses mouth your thumb and fore finger were closest.) Before eached rider jumped he took a long crop and held it from the bit to the hand and had each follow the crop with their hands toward the mouth while the horse was standing still. You can also practice it by riding while pointing your index finger at the horses mouth until the difference in the hand motion stops feeling so weird. One friend of mine visulizes that as she takes off she “shoots” the bit with her “finger gun.” Wofford also commented that once the crest released has been ingrained and used for an extended period of time, changing it is very, very difficult. Good luck!

sbk

hot damn, Gwen!!! Congratulations! On the auto AND on the rust breeches. May I repeat from another thread - ‘if the judge is paying more attention to your tack and your attire, you don’t really want to flush all your hard-earned money down that toilet, do you?’ So - YOU are living, breathing, WINNING proof that a decent judge doesn’t give a rat’s behind whether you wear puke green TSs or rust whatevers… HOORAY!!!

Could the trend for longer stirrups in the equitation also be due to the fact that today’s riders must have a solid flatwork base, similar to that of a lower level dressage rider? Could their stirrup length be a direct result of the need to push the horse up in front of them into the bridle, into a frame, and it’s just evolved over fences too?

Years ago I when I did the equitation most of the riders still used their junior hunters. Back then the flat and over fences tests were much more simplified.

Nice to see this thread coming up again. Always has provoked a great deal of discussion. And all those great photos too.

From Allergy Valley USA

sbk

What does “kudzu” mean?

Just that people are generalizing… the people “in the olde days yearn to progress and learn more” or something to that effect… Take into consideratin the number of people you see showing, compared to the number of peope who actually ride… I bet there is a larger percent who want to learn more and progress… I don’t mind that yes, the crest release is being over used, I mind that it is being said it is because the juniors do not wish to push themselves… or that everything was so much better before…

(Yes, I know… me and my big mouth)

ThinkBig&Goosy,

Here is one of my pictures, showing an automatic release…

Had to go out of town for a few days and LOVE the direction this has taken. Intelligent discussion of current trends. Here’s a few more thoughts and observations. At the Maclay midwest regionals I saw more than a few kids struggling to reach their stirrups on very “up in front” warm bloods that reminded me of American Saddlebreds. Many of these and the others rode the first 5 fences great then flat ran out of gas and got looser and looser, several lost too long irons. A big galloping oxer late in the course(for the past 3 years believe it or not) created horrible distances, stops and a few falls due,I firmly believe, to the mental and physical exhaustion of the rider. Most of these did ride very well on the flat with the same stirrup length. Why do you see the Jayne kids and Emily Williams and a few others really ride? They are trainers kids who ride,contrary to what others think, not the made champs but every piece of crap pony or horse their folks tried to rehab. If it was any good it got sold and they had to start with another. These kids learned to ride a horse. They ride 5 or 6 daily. How many days does an eq kid need to ride? Well I would think 2 lessons 2 flats on their own horse then those 4 days the are at the barn they should get on those sale horses. What really happens? Probably trainer and parents try to protect them too much. Sorry this is long but one more thing, I bought my first horse myself at age 18 for $400. Couldn’t afford a saddle for 3 years had wonderful basic teachers in movie stunt men-most cavalry vets. I can ride but am pretty new over fences. My 3 or 4 days weekly at the barn riding my princess A/A hunter are supplemented by riding another-one nobody else wants to ride. It gets on great with me but none of the Jrs. will get on it without a disaster. Guess I’m old school(and old), ride the horse your on the way that suits it best. Let’s keep this thread going

From Allergy Valley USA

Yes, the very same one!

And yes, Bumpkin, I too am olde. Ye Olde MargaretF remembers those poufy cloth breeches and jodphur boots…

Ah, that in itself is a whole thread…

Wow, the first two pics that Kachoo posted were…WOW!

http://pub51.ezboard.com/fhorseoncoursefrm5
Junior Clique!

To you and your trainer.
I am so happy to read that you both worked on this and found it a nice experience!!!

I have met trainers, who totally poopoo the use of the automatic release, calling it, too 70’s or 60’s!!!

And amen brudda to Mark Phillips.

Reminds me of when you whine to your mom as a kid “But Moooooooom, EVERYone is doing it.” And she’s right, if everyone jumped off a bridge you would not join them.

I think the Foxfield Team is still active.
Merry would know.
They had wire hoops around the horses necks and did all sorts of jumping and drill stuff at the horse shows.
Those Foxfield girls could really ride!!!
The stable had/has all sorts of activities and programs.
All dressed in wonderful outfits on such obedient well trained horses, they were an inspiration to all of us!

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If we want to be fair to the horse, surely the rider that doesn’t have an independent seat and isn’t capable of getting their weight off the horses back without disrupting their own and the horses balance should go back to basics and learn how to do it correctly? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Good point, Magick! But it doesn’t seem to work that way here. Maybe it’s different on the East Coast, but hereabouts, kids ride maybe 10 lessons before starting to jump - crosspoles perhaps, but still leaving the ground. Now, back in the dark ages when I was learning to ride, at 10 lessons we were still walking and doing exercises on a longe line. But apparently no more. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As a judge, Twister, would you place someone higher who used the automatic or follow through type of release in the correct and proper way?
Actually that question is for any of the judges.

[This message was edited by Bumpkin on Jul. 09, 2001 at 08:33 PM.]

abe.com is a network for independent book sellers. It’s a good place to find new, used and/or out of print books. Good luck.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dublin:
In your judging, I’m wondering what percentage of the the advanced eq riders that you see use an auto release? (I would hope that it would be a high percentage, but somehow I doubt it…)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

None