Unlimited access >

Question for male riders

I realize this is somewhat odd, and perhaps silly, (most definitely TMI) but my non-equestrian DH brought this up the other night, and so I decided to post on his behalf (and to satisfy my morbid curiosity).

So, the conversation began when DH and I were watching a Harry Potter film and he commented that it was a wonder that Harry had been capable of reproducing (per the last novel) after riding a broomstick for so many years :lol: After I had a good laugh, nearly spilling my vino, I replied that men have been riding horses for years and reproducing without any issues - DH replied that horses were not as skinny as broomsticks, to which I could not say anything, because he is, alas, correct. However the conversation continued, and DH asked the more serious question as to how men can ride without it hurting their more favorite parts, so I promised I would ask the BB.

So, how is it that men can survive some of the jolts their outer bits receive while riding? I know as a woman, my female bits can even receive a painful smack if I am in the wrong place at the wrong time (say, the pommel of my saddle after a chip in to a fence)! :eek: If you constantly ride in two-point, this would be a non-issue, and if you ride with your hips curled under you, I suppose it may not be an issue…

I have been here since the beginning, and have witnessed an array of topics on this subject, and I DO recall one male insisting that it DOES hurt, but warned never to use a cup - but other men countered that he must be doing it wrong if it hurt - same with the sometimes hilarious female topics regarding enlarged female bits. I realize these issues are very real for some, and I do not mean to trivialize them, but I would be lying if I did not point out that I have had many laughs over the years in response to these posts as well as the spin-offs on other BB’s. It is also possible that I am a 12 year old boy trapped in an adult female body :wink:

Anyway, now that my husband is showing more and more interest in actually PERHAPS riding (notice how tentative this still is!), I would like to get the true male perspective on what really happens to man parts when men ride - yes, really! Remember, a newbie will be reading this, and if you scare him away, it’s your fault LOL! Just kidding - well, maybe!:wink:

It’s all about getting things in the proper position. I’ve had more than a few painful encounters with the pommel in my time. Usually ends up with me curled up in the saddle for a few minutes, not pleasant. Boxer briefs are a man’s best friend for riding.

The brooms in Harry Potter are ridden a certain way. If you look carefully, you’ll see that the rider sits slightly above the length of the broom, which is kept tilted at an angle, with their feet planted on the sides just like a jockey of sorts. They don’t really delve into the technicalities of it but that’s how it is. No gnard mashing involved. Riding a horse is totally different since there’s obviously a saddle but I would equate the broom riding to being bareback on a horse I suppose.

I once had a male student ask me, “where do I put them?”
I replied, “out of the way.”
Testicles are designed to get out of each others way - one hangs slightly lower than the other for that reason.

Just as we don’t sit on them in a chair, we don’t sit on them in a saddle - the classic 3-point seat places the rider’s weight between the seat bones and the pubic bone, and the jewels resting forward of that. Give them a little freedom and they’ll find a safe place. For that reason, a jock strap is not a good idea. Though I was never foolish enough to try - I imagine wearing a cup while riding would make you pray for death: it is made to absorb impact of a baseball or hockey puck (sports in which you are standing). The rolled rim would be positioned right over the pubic bone - right where your weight goes.
I just wear briefs, or jockey shorts … Hmmmm - I wonder why they’re called Jockey shorts …
If nothing else, it provides the guys with STRONG incentive to develop a correct and consistent seat!
If you don’t post correctly, they will instantly remind you of the fact :lol:

Apart from a very rare bang when a horse trips or stumbles, the only time I can remember having my bits pounded is when I was just learning and taking a lesson in a WAY too small saddle. I toughed it out, but asked my instructor if I could have a bigger saddle next time :slight_smile:

Though not male myself, I’ve started many young men in the riding careers on the lunge. I was always quick to inform them to wear “regular” underwear and to not wear boxer shorts. A few said “no way” though, that only took one ride and some ice to convince them that boxers weren’t the way to go and left things a bit too loose for their liking.

If a man sits correctly, his twig and berries should also find their position. Remember that saddles were orig. made for men, by men, this wasn’t always so dominated by women.

Good luck DH!

Anyone asking this question is way to focused on their junk.

Seriously, what do you do with them the rest of the time? :confused: When walking down the street, how do you keep them from banging into your leg? Don’t you get huge bruises on your inner thigh?

1 Like

[QUOTE=Ravencrest_Camp;4731048]
Anyone asking this question is way to focused on their junk. [/QUOTE]

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but this was apparently written by someone who has never taken a shot to “their junk.”

Considering how many anatomy-related threads I have run across, from riding-while-pregnant to the effects of breast implants … I’d consider this a perfectly valid question to ask.

Deriding it with comments like "how do you keep them from banging into your leg?" is rather insensitive, to put it politely.

5 Likes

[QUOTE=Quest52;4731019]
If a man sits correctly, his twig and berries should also find their position. Remember that saddles were orig. made for men, by men, this wasn’t always so dominated by women.

Good luck DH![/QUOTE]

:lol: so true though!!

I have been dying to get the SO to start riding but after I took him to an event with the idea of showing him how much fun it was…we started off watching dressage where he visibly cringed looked and me and said you can’t tell me that isn’t going to hurt “them” I replied by saying well I don’t know but there are plenty of guys who ride so I guess it doesn’t hurt…thinking I should show him this as proof!

Mr. AQHL asks the same question…

He is like do the guys wear a cup? i am like…ummm.I don’t know.

I am not sure how any man could ride wearing a cup. I guess if you stayed in the back of the saddle and rode on your pockets…

There was a time in my teen years I used a jock strap but even that became uncomfortable because of all the other movement done over fences.

I go with a pair of good fitting briefs. NO boxers. Expect to get hit and just deal with it.

Yes, I do believe that over the years the impacts have resulted in a reduced ability to procreate but that isn’t such a big loss in this world. My urologist also has felt some tumors and he suspects they too are most likely due to impacts over the years.

Reed

Well, my DH is also slightly, maybe, possibly in the future interested in riding and having his own horse. After a few rides (three years ago) he announced that he would prefer something smooth-gaited… none of the “posting crap.” I think I’ll show him this thread and maybe I’ll get a glimmer of hope that he’ll ride H/J with me :yes:

Mr. AQHL would rather ride his BMX bikes anyhow.

[QUOTE=JumpWithPanache;4731445]
Well, my DH is also slightly, maybe, possibly in the future interested in riding and having his own horse. After a few rides (three years ago) he announced that he would prefer something smooth-gaited… none of the “posting crap.” I think I’ll show him this thread and maybe I’ll get a glimmer of hope that he’ll ride H/J with me :yes:[/QUOTE]

It’s official: I love this thread.

My boyfriend owns two horses, both gaited, and flatly refuses to ride anything that trots while also openly questioning the sanity of anyone who DOES ride trotting horses.

Up until now, I always figured that he was just an ol’ country boy who just happened to prefer gaited horses. After reading this thread, it makes me wonder if his preference comes more out of self-preservation.:lol::lol:

under-armour type of compression shorts, in the boy-leg brief sort of cut so they fit like, well, compression shorts. That’s what DH found he preferred to ride in rather than regular tighty whities.

Regardless of what you wear, losing the irons over a high one is likely to hurt!

I prefer wearing a properly-fitted athletic supporter over a pair of boxer-briefs. It’s comfortable and everything stays in its proper place – except possibly over that high one! But if you’ve lost the irons, you’re already out of kilter anyway.

Try having a stirrup leather break over a 3’3" fence…not so much fun. On the other hand, I’m one of those strange guys wear boxers while riding. Doesn’t cause problems most of the time. You learn how to sit correctly real quick as a guy.

Not a posesssor of jewels, but married to one for many years.
When DH first started riding we got him a sheepskin saddle cushion.

Seemed to be a big help until he got the “hang” of it (sorry, couldn’t help myself).

I think this is only an issue if the male in question has “big brass ones”. :smiley:

In this seat is everything. :wink:

But sometimes, as noted, you get out of position and lose the seat. That’s when things can get painful.

Jockey shorts work for some guys. I never found them comfortable.

A standard jock strap is a very good alternative. They are less comfortable for very long wear (long trail rides) but some guys find them OK for that, too.

I’ve never tried a jock over boxers. That’s an intriguing thought. :slight_smile:

Lately I’ve been wearing long legged compression shorts. I tried a pair of the short leg ones, but they were not as comfortable. Even for a number of hours they are comfortable (hot or cold weather). They do have a downside: no fly. Answer: drink less beer. :lol:

I’ve seen photos of Aboriginal Americans (like from the 19th Century) and many appear to be wearing a “bound loin cloth.”

When we had the 4H Horse Program here I had a “talk” with the parents of the boys and advised standard jock straps. Today I’d add compression shorts as an alternative.

Under no circumstances do you want to try a cup unless you really like pain! :eek:

Oh, and work on a stable, strong seat.

G.

From personal experience, the painful moments generally come when something unexpected happens. aside from the occasional sitting…on them… most of my incidents happen when my horse bucks or bolts and im not ready for it.

otherwise, you suck it up!

and wear the proper attire, no boxers!

p.s. i love the harry potter analogy!