Unlimited access >

Question for male riders

A beginning rider is going to be worried about these things (so to speak). Perfectly understandable, perfectly normal. After a while, really, they take care of themselves and after a few months, a man realizes that somehow, it’s no longer an issue.
Indeed, you’re gonna have, um, setbacks occassionally, but tough it out. Fear of getting your berries rung is no reason to sit on the bench.
I couldn’t imagine how to teach a gentleman how to arrange himself so as to lessen the liklihood of assault. It’s like learning to drive a clutch - one day it just happens.

1 Like

Thank you all for such wonderful responses! I will be showing this thread to DH and hope it brings about increased interest! :yes:

Gosh. I’m so glad someone else asked!

I’ve only had a couple of gentleman students over the years and advised briefs, not boxers when someone asked about proper undergarments. Good to know the compression shorts work well, too.

I never knew there were so many male posters on this board.

DH- Mr.CAT, rides for fun, and you know he’s never mentioned this as a problem. But he did take a few dressage lessons from my male coach at the beginning, learned to do a good pelvic tilt and I think it was one of the topics of discussion then. He wears shaped boxer-briefs. They are not your standard boxers, but they are longer in the leg than briefs- kind of like bicycle shorts with a fly. ( yeah how do I know? Is there any attached man out there who buys his own underwear?)

He rides in a size larger saddle than I do and he also has a sheepskin seat cover.

Jockey shorts. Had some occasional mishaps as an adult beginner rider, but things quickly fell into place (pun intended). I still have an occasional “incident”, usually when trotting gridwork on a young horse and things get “out of synch”. Initially my then-24 yr old female trainer had no idea what was happening, she must have thought I was having an appendicitis attack or something. Now when it occasionally happens, she realizes that I just need a “male moment” as she calls it.

Females have no appreciation for the pain that even the slightest jostling in just the wrong place can ravage upon us. It has to be right up there with childbirth. From what I’ve heard about childbirth anyway. But, I suppose it doesn’t last as long…

2 Likes

tcgelec: try stretching that skin around your jewels…over your head. Then talk to me about the pain of childbirth.

4 Likes

[QUOTE=weasel1088;4732054]
From personal experience, the painful moments generally come when something unexpected happens. aside from the occasional sitting…on them… most of my incidents happen when my horse bucks or bolts and im not ready for it.

otherwise, you suck it up!

and wear the proper attire, no boxers!

p.s. i love the harry potter analogy![/QUOTE]

Er… Uh…

when riding at the farm I wear Briefs here.
But at shows I have a " cup" and boxer briefs on. helps with protection.
LMAO ,

I mentioned this subject to my DH. We were talking about another thread, how to keep boys interested in riding, or something like that. I asked him is it really that big a deal? Coming down wrong? I mean, I’ve been clocked in uncomfortable places, the worst being accidentally elbowed in the boob. OMG. I likened that to getting hit in the jewels since I ended up curled in a fetal position. And while I was incapacitated by the pain, I just needed a moment to deal with it and recover my composure.

He shrugged and said it depends. Coming down wrong and spitting up in the back of your throat, sucks.

:eek: Really? You actually throw up? Burning nasty bile taste and everything? (He gave me a cool look, making me feel like an idiot.)

Yeah. One or two times of that, with a female trainer blowing it off as nothing, yammering on about how you just f**d up whatever it is she’s teaching, the boy’s gonna decide getting hit with a baseball is a lot more appealing.

I stared at him a long moment and had to agree. I hate to throw up. And I’ve never experienced such severe pain my body instinctively makes me do it. :dead:

I guess that’s nature’s way of balancing out the scales for the childbirth, period cramps hassle. :wink:

1 Like

[QUOTE=Jane Honda;4733359]
Er… Uh…[/QUOTE]

didnt quite come out right!:lol:

how about, “you just deal with it!”:cool:

Few female instructors have any appreciation for the “male issue.” That’s not a surprise. What is sometimes discouraging is that when it’s pointed out to them they still lack an appreciation of the problem.

As noted by other male riders each of us has figured out ways to reduce possible discomfort. Once you do it it’s done and seldom thought of again. The only time I worry about it is when I’ve got to talk about it some someone just starting out (parent of a boy or adult male). Even then it’s not a detailed discussion but rather “here’s the problem and here are some possible solutions; good luck.”

If the boy/man wants to do this then they’ll figure out how. If they don’t want to do this then this problem is a good “out.”

G.

Holy smokes…a lot of posters on here are MALE. Sorry fellas, I always thought you were gals!!

1 Like

Show him this picture:

http://www.blogcatalog.com/blog/awkward-boners/dffaf919dcd3e2c7769b695dd68cc587

to you men who say you wear a cup: are you jumpers??

I just know, when I would train my male riders (dressage, not a jumper here), I would advise AGAINST wearing a cup because the edge of the cup sits about at the point where your correct seat position is up against the horse while doing a sitting trot.

yes? no?

Briefs and never boxers…and don’t even think commando…makes my eyes water just thinking about that pain.

Don’t ride in too small a saddle, that pommel can be a killer.

No cups, they really wouldn’t fit the type of injury in riding from nailing yourself on the pommel.

If you ride you’re gonna crunch some part of your anatomy. I’d tell my girl students "don’t wear jeans, the front seam will kill you. Had some busty young things we’d all be crossing our arms in sympathy pain when their boobs went everywhere when they trotted (it sure looked painful to all of us). Lots of complaints from girl riders grinding their pubic bone on todays horrible “bucket” dressage type saddles.

1 Like

[QUOTE=Trakehner;4734846]

Had some busty young things we’d all be crossing our arms in sympathy pain when their boobs went everywhere when they trotted (it sure looked painful to all of us). Lots of complaints from girl riders grinding their pubic bone on todays horrible “bucket” dressage type saddles.[/QUOTE]

hmm… maybe this will make the sport more popular??? Im sure the boys would watch it if they heard this one!!!

1 Like

[QUOTE=LexInVA;4730900]
The brooms in Harry Potter are ridden a certain way. If you look carefully, you’ll see that the rider sits slightly above the length of the broom, which is kept tilted at an angle, with their feet planted on the sides just like a jockey of sorts. They don’t really delve into the technicalities of it but that’s how it is. No gnard mashing involved. Riding a horse is totally different since there’s obviously a saddle but I would equate the broom riding to being bareback on a horse I suppose.[/QUOTE]

I LOVE that you knew about their brooms (I adore Harry Potter)

The brooms sort of have stirrups but I’m sure there’s a chance for some ball busting if you slipped

[QUOTE=Meredith Clark;4734923]
I LOVE that you knew about their brooms (I adore Harry Potter)

The brooms sort of have stirrups but I’m sure there’s a chance for some ball busting if you slipped[/QUOTE]

Yeah, my ex forced me into reading the books. I literally read them all in a row right before the last one was released but I was pretty much content to simply watch the movies once in a blue moon, play the video games, and catch the new ones as they were released though I didn’t see the last one in the theaters. There’s a company here in NoVA that sells the official prop replicas for the franchise among other merchandise so I’ve been able to actually handle the broomsticks. They don’t fly of course.

1 Like

I’m trying to find a child to borrow so I don’t look like a weirdo going to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter :lol:

[QUOTE=Meredith Clark;4735135]
I’m trying to find a child to borrow so I don’t look like a weirdo going to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter :lol:[/QUOTE]

I’m planning a Universal Studios vacation. It’s surprisingly cheap to stay there if you get a package. :smiley: I’ve only been there once many many years ago in the early 90’s. The last time I was there, Jaws The Ride was in the final stages of construction because they hadn’t gotten it to work before the park opened and the entire ride had to be redone from the ground up, they had a Ghostbusters live action show, a King Kong ride, and the Back To The Future ride. Nickelodeon studios was also on the property. Everyone wore neon fanny packs back then. :lol: Since I only visited there once, it doesn’t really hold any strong memories for me like Disney once did. I can’t even think about going there now that it’s so different from what I experienced as a kid. Almost nothing is the same except the stuff that they just can’t really change.