Unlimited access >

Question for male riders

I am amused by the posts I see here on this topic.

Because most of them are BS.

A little background.

I started riding in early 1941 and went on my first foxhunt Thanksgiving 1941.

During the ensuing years, I have spent a lot of time with rehabing bad horses. I have been bucked off, dragged, struck, kicked and have had a hell of a good time though it all.

Obviously at 81 well on the way to 82, I have slowed down some but I am at the present time rehabing an OTTB who just yesterday decided to jump about 4’ high over a 2’ jump and hit the ground bucking.

Luckily they were straight in line bucks and not the zig zag bucks or sunfish bucks so they were easy.

So I have been there and done that.

I have worn regular boxes for almost all of those years.

In the winter, I wear the Cabelos heavy silk long underwear.

In the summer, boxers.

I may ride in blue jeans with half chaps or in those abominable skin tight breeches that have been the fashion for the past 20 years or so and boots when hunting or riding with others.

How I wish I had kept those old full breeches of the long ago past.

During those years, I have tried at various times jock straps, jockey underwear, boxers sort of with tight legs, etc., and it is all the same.

The bottom line is that if you can ride and if you have the proper seat, it makes absolutely no difference what you wear.

Someone made the crack about “commando”. Never tried it but I would bet any amount of money that I could ride cross country with nothing on but half chaps and keep up with anyone.

Between winter time and horse fly season, anyway.

In all of those years, I doubt that there have been more than 3 “incidents”.

So it is like biting your lip. You curse and then go on with it.

But I can tell you I have bit my lip a thousand times for every “incident” while riding.

There are many many things about riding that will hurt you a hell of a lot more and a lot more often.

So this is a funny topic for the bar, but in real life has absolutely no impact (pardon the pun) on how we ride.

Again, that is only if you can ride and have developed a good seat. Obviously there is a learning curve and during that time there will be accidents of varying kinds. But smashing one’s testicles will not be in the list of first 100 things that can happen.

Blisters on those tender legs, sore butts, a few falls, a horse that figures out you are scared so he goes back to the barn, those are the things for the beginner to worry about.

CSSJR

2 Likes

I agree with cssutton. while it wouldnt be my optimal choice to ride in boxers, any incidents that i have had would have happened regardless of underwear choice. and i do end up riding in boxers quite a lot. so he is right, it makes no difference really, its all in how you sit on the horse.

someone mentioned a cup…i would NEVER wear a cup, god they are horrible! it would seriously just get in the way.

My DH swears by these. :yes: Keeps the junk away from anything that could pose a danger to said junk.:cool:

[QUOTE=Meredith Clark;4735135]
I’m trying to find a child to borrow so I don’t look like a weirdo going to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter :lol:[/QUOTE]

You can borrow mine if you promise to keep him overnight so I can have a “date night” with hubby LOL! I’ll PM you and this silliness may make more sense LOL!:winkgrin:

1 Like

Just talked to another friend of mine who is ALSO a GUY…
and he wears Briefs or " Tighty Whities " …:smiley:
Yes even us older guys still call them that. and he said it works Great !!!

LMAO. this is such a cool topic…
WHAT UP TO ALL THE GUY RIDERS OUT THERE. !!! BRING IT ON.

Ok, didn’t read the whole thread so this may have been said already.

I used to race mtn bikes (in addition to running and sailboat racing), so I had cycling shorts laying around when I started riding. I buy “compression shorts” from Walmart to ride in now. Same thing, just no extra padding.

Once his seat improves, most the problems go away… unless he’s riding a wiggleworm like I was the other day and “caught me off guard” shall we say.

Forgot to add in my original reply that for the conditioned rider, this support is like a safety belt or helmet – you hope you don’t need it, but it’s there when you do.

While it’s no substitute for a proper seat, it is certainly appreciated while you’re acquiring one!

[QUOTE=CatOnLap;4732701]
I never knew there were so many male posters on this board.[/QUOTE]

Oh, there’s enough of us out there … we’ve just learned to keep a low profile (as indicated by my sig :lol:)

Can we interest you in an auction? :wink:

I see now how it has to be done: someone posts an innocuous thread asking for horse-man information. The horse-mans are lured out of hiding to offer information (mans of all types usually love to offer information) and then we lassos 'em all! :lol:

As to the OP, my ex rode, badly but with great enthusiasm. He always wore boxers and never complained about the jewels. And I saw him plop in the saddle many a time.

I do use a cup. I am a male rider. It lets me focus on the task at hand. I use a pair of compression shorts with the cup and my leggings over them. It works great!!

I had my then bf take a lesson on the lunge with my trainer. It was part of the deal if we were going to date. He posted badly and was not a natural. He said it didn’t hurt. Today we are engaged and he still confirms it.

I gave a lunge line lesson to a male friend on the explosive TB with giant movement that I was leasing back then. He was a natural. Great seat out of the gate. He also said it was no problem.

Men find ways to ride bikes which may also be dubious for this context. So there is a way.

Another guy here and I’m sure a lot of this has been covered. My basics for boys starting out:

1. Snug fitting briefs, boxer briefs or compression shorts.
  2. No cup. That’s like wearing a guillotine.
  3. Britches or jeans again snug fitting.
  4. No extra padding in clothing or saddle. It just adds more bulk and increases the squish factor.
  5. A proper fitting saddle.
  6. On a saddle, I prefer a flatter more open saddle. Deep saddles or saddles with a steep cantel tend to push the rider toward the pommel. The pommel, no matter how flat, is a sore spot.

No matter what precautions you take, there are going to be times that you take the hit. Just breath deep and it will pass. Sometimes, like fox hunting, you just have to keep riding while breathing deeply.

A choice of saddle is often critical.

Decade old thread, btw…

For a centuries-old problem…

1 Like

An old thread, but entertaining all the same…

With respect to Mr. Sutton, we had the 4H horse project here for a few years and we had this conversation with parents but left it to them to pick the protection system and did not do inspections. And we had a couple of young lads who did not have a highly developed seats get “racked.” It was a painful experience for the youngsters but not one that ended their hopes of parenthood.

Similar to any piece of safety equipment, “male protection” is like insurance. You might never need it, but you do you’ll be glad to have it.

G.