Unlimited access >

Questions about Showing Non AQHA/APHA Stock Horse…

I have a Reservation Mustang (off the Southern Ute Rez). She is registered Undocumented PtHA in the stock color category. She is often mistaken for reining bred Quarter Horses, but I have no way of knowing her breeding, as she was feral upon purchase.

How can I make it more clear that she is NOT a Quarter or Paint Horse? She should be judged against Mustang breed standards, but I feel rarely is, because she is mistaken for a Quarter or Paint.

She is shown western only, with a ranchy way of going. She can slow down, but will never be able to compete with WP bred AQHA/APHA

horses.

1 Like

Most judges are taught to judge AQHA/APHA so I would suggest showing in an open/all breed show and hoping for the best. Not much you can do about how the judges decide to place classes.

I occasionally see mustang fun shows so that is another option if you have any in your area.

4 Likes

All we do is open shows lol

I just want to plaster a big sign on her that says “I’M A MUSTANG”

:joy::joy:

You’d have the same issue if you rode a TB or Andie or Morgan. The aim of the class is to go in a typical QH way and your horse isn’t a QH.

There’s no mustang breed standards because they are grade horses of unknown background that vary a lot between regions based on what was let loose to roam in the past couple centuries.

8 Likes

She’s very attractive! Can you show in ranch horse classes since that’s the way she goes? I don’t see how you can let the judge know she is a Mustang unless they actually ask you.

2 Likes

Show her in ranch pleasure instead of western pleasure. They judge is going to judge against what his/her ideal for the class is and that is most likely AQHA standards. You will have more luck in ranch pleasure type classes.

1 Like

If you are showing in stock horse western classes, that’s the standard she will be judged under, depending on the rules the show is running under. I know of people who have had good luck showing off types for western shows (non-stock horses, Arabians, TBs and even STBs), because they conformed to the standards. Your girl looks lovely, if she just isn’t the type to go slow, find an open ranch horse circuit and have fun. :smiley:

1 Like

Your mustang mare is really cute, and I’ll bet she’s fun to show. But as you’ve discovered, in the “regular” western classes at open shows, for better or worse, the judges are typically AQHA/APHA trained. At those shows you could opt to just skip the pleasure and halter classes and do classes like horsemanship, trail and showmanship, where it’s judged more on your riding and horse handling skills.

But like others have said, I’d try ranch riding classes. If your local open shows don’t offer ranch classes, search for ranch riding competitions in your region. Within ranch riding there are numerous classes, including pleasure, trail and halter. The emphasis is on a working/using type horse vs. a typical western pleasure-type horse for the show pen.

By the way, PtHA offers a ranch division. There are ranch riding classes at the Pinto World show in Tulsa next month. It should be streamed online if you’d like to watch.

4 Likes

Every show organization will have a rule book that specifies what their judging standards are. For most open western or saddle club shows, that will be AQHA standards.

If she goes like a ranch horse, then Ranch (ARHA) or Stock (ASHA) shows will probably be a better fit for you.

There is no “Mustang standard”.

Edited to add: I show Arabian and Half Arabian horses at ARHA shows. I do not expect or want them to be judged as “Arabian Ranch” horses but as Ranch horses. If I want an Arabian specific evaluation, I go to Arabian shows.

5 Likes

No knowledge about mustangs or western horses and their showing but couldn’t help but say how pretty she is! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

To me, this sounds analogous to someone saying “I am showing a Saddlebred in Hunter classes. She should be judged against the Saddlebred standards, but she is judged against the standard for Warmbloods and TBs.” (Also, as several have pointe out, there is no “Mustang breed standard”.)

7 Likes

Exactly, @Janet!

When I showed this 75% Arabian gelding at hunter shows, I expected to be judged by hunter standards, not Arabian standards. Ironically, hunter judges liked him a LOT more than the Arab ones did!

8 Likes

Using the terms “breed standard” isn’t really correct, I guess. I am more looking for turnout standards, and how I can market her breed clearly, openly and fairly in the ring.

When I broke her out, I did quite a bit of research and I did find turnout standards with the Mustang Heritage Foundation. Simple and quick:

1. You cannot hide any marks, natural or not. No hiding scars or using hoof black.
  2. Clipping not required, but you can.
  3. No false tails or mane extensions.

I found the rulebook for an open show circuit in Texas that is put on by the Mustang Heritage Foundation for reference. Here’s the rulebook.

For those suggesting ranch classes, we only have one open show in the region that offers ranch classes. I do plan to take her to one of those this year, but for exposure, I put her in the halter and showmanship rings, WP and HMS rings as well. I know our chances of placing are low, but she does have points in the MMOHSC circuit for both in 2021 as a 3 year old in the Novice Horse division.

The Ranch Horse Association of Michigan holds their shows clear on the other side of the state, and all other ARHA shows are too far or financially not feasible for me. I am happy showing open and local for now, as she needs miles in the show ring.

I guess I am just asking too much. Oh well.

I’ve been trying to get into contact with someone who is super local to me that shows Pinto. No luck yet, but I’ll keep trying lol Michigan Pinto has a bad rep, so I am looking into Ohio Pinto shows instead. We are close to the border so it wouldn’t be an awful trip…

1 Like

I think it’s silly to judge a Saddlebred against the standards for a stock horse. They’re vastly different and should be treated as such.

I guess I just have a different opinion than most of the industry. Oh well

You’re going to be judged by the standards of whichever show/circuit you choose to attend. There’s nothing unfair or “silly” about that.

12 Likes

You could maybe check out the Lil Bit Ranchy show series in Ionia?

Try taking a QH in dressage. You’ll get cut no slack for your pitty patty trot.

5 Likes

Most people who show, end up upgrading horses to whatever will show the best… Which means getting a AQHA. If you are like me, and don’t want to sell your horse or upgrade to a different horse, you are stuck showing the horse you have. All you can do is figure out what your horse excels in. My very English trained horse was really good at fun shows and we won a bunch of ribbons, but not so great at hunter under saddle. We took up drill team and had a really good time with that.

Now I have some gaited horses (foxtrotters) but they do trot and I’ve thought about putting them in some open show classes. I’m sure no one will guess their breed correctly, but at least they don’t look like Quarter horses. But then again my APHA mare is always assumed to be a spotted saddle horse (several people have asked me that). And my one foxtrotter is always assumed to be a walker. The other one, no one ever guesses correctly. People usually go with quarter horse but nope, she’s gaited (but perfectly happy to never gait unless you ask).

My mustang looked like a haflinger. Unless you saw her brand, it definitely wasn’t obvious.

1 Like

If they are being shown at a stock horse show, with clearly stated stock horse rules, they are going to be judged to that standard. I’m sorry if you don’t understand this.

7 Likes