Unlimited access >

Racing 101

First off you need to know the circumference of the racetrack in question. Secondly you need to know the distance of the race. Most tracks are a mile, which means a mile race starts at the finish line and ends there, meaning 2 turns. Some tracks are smaller, like Charlestown and Los Alamitos, meaning 6 furlong+ races are at least 2 turns. Some tracks are larger like Arlington and Belmont. If a track is a mile and the race is a mile, chances are its a 2 turn race. Some tracks are a mile but have a chute that allows a one turn mile such as Arlington. If you are looking at a program there will be a diagram of the track signifying where the start and finish are.

So… did that confuse you further or what??? lol

Jessi

Originally posted by Linny:

Accidental Buckaroo, are fruitflies anything like “fruitbats?”

Linny, I have no idea.

Hey Racers, I read all the first stuff about DI and CD, but I was wondering if I could have this translated still, as it would make me feel better! Also, to prevent any further requests for translations, anyone feel like telling me what GOOD and BAD numbers are?

DP = 6-0-4-0-0 (10) DI = 4.00 CD = 1.20

THANKYOU!

The DRF site has a page that lists the best Beyer ratings for the year, too. Here’s the link:

http://www.drf.com/leaderboard/displayBeyers.html

Originally posted by Linny:
Aqueduct and Saratoga are 1 1/8 miles around. Aqu has a “chute” extending from the backstretch and mile races are run from the chute, around one turn. Churchill (and I think the new Gulfstream, not sure) also run 1 turn miles. At Saratoga, they don’t card mile races. Belmont runs up to 1 1/8 from the chute, as its 1 1/2 miles around.

Yep, there is ALOT of stuff in racing that you don’t think about at first. Then you get to wondering “how the fruitbat do they…”

Aqueduct has two dirt tracks; the outer one is 1 1/2 miles just like Belmont.

Originally posted by Man O’ War:
It seems to me that the Europeans don’t use tongue wraps, but instead pull the bit away up higher in the mouth.

Am I correct in this or imagining it?

They tie tongues down in Europe too when needed.

In looking over a race record, what do the following abbreviations mean:

F3UCLM
F4UCLM
F3UMSW
F03MSW

I think that CLM is a claiming race … right? F3U = Fillies 3 and under? But that wouldn’t make sense as this mare raced in a race like that as a 5 year old. Any help would be appreciated!

lee. Thanks! I guess at the very least we’re all “horse wonks”, or at least think we are!

Perfect, thank you!

Jess, I’ve seen “a” in the medication line recently. What does that mean? Obviously not acepromazine!

“Black type” refers to the bold face type used in sales catalogues to denote stakes winners or stakes placed runners. I’m off to find a page online to demonstrate.

In the allowance world horses run out of conditions too. They then have to go to either stakes or claiming races or move too an easier circuit.
They run:
Maiden
non winner of 2 lifetime (nw2L)
non winners of 1 other than maiden, claiming or restricted (nw1x)
nw2x
nw3x
nw4x (very rare most horses eligible for this condition in NY are running in stakes)
After that, it’s stakes or claiming. They do card some funky high level allowance races or overnight stakes. They might use conditions like " 3 year olds and up, non winners of an open sweepstakes in 2003-2005" or “Non winners of a race worth $30k since June 1st 04.” Many times these races are carded to fit a particulular horse, maybe a returning stakes horse or a good dirt horse trying turf for the first time.

Hey Hobie, I was watching Mountaineer on the simo last night. PT me and tell me about your barn. I’ll watch for you. I get Mountaineer in my home!

Gosh you guys, I’m LOST

This is what I have for my mare:

DP = 8-4-10-4-2 (28) DI = 1.55 CD = 0.43

Is there anyone out there who can translate this for me?? I’ve been reading these posts for an hour and just can’t seem to get it. Maybe it makes sense for people who have dealt with this stuff before. But me?? Well, its goin in the eyeballs and out the hairline apparently.

Horses have so many starts to remain eligible to have a stall at the track and to race there. Here a horse must be 1-2-3 or 4th at least once every 8 starts once they start for a $5k tag (or less elsewhere), unless a maiden - maidens get 10 starts to be at least 4th once they run for the $5k tag.

So after they lose their stall at lets say Arlington Park, can they go to Fairmont Park for ten more races? Can they ever go back to Arlington? Or is it just no worth the expense at this point and that is why they are put up for sale for $2K-$5K?

When you say he was eased does that mean he was eased by jockey or he eased essentially himself?

Could he have won the Travers???

Copelan (I also corrected spelling) is Rockport Harbor’s grandFATHER on dam side no? In haste I got mixed up.

I can read, but what does that really mean?

I have several friends who are very successful arabian breeders, but I am dunce with this stuff, I was severely affected in the 7th grade biology class studying genetics–all of my fruitflies got loose. That’s my story anyway.

Starters list contains horse who need “gateschooling” before being able to race again.
Stewards list horses have to be cleared for any of a number of issues, often related to clerical problems.

Hey! Where the fruitbat is my signature!?

LH,

Great job!!!

Now try “dual qualifiers”!

Sorry to be dense…what do you mean they don’t card mile races?

Between the two turns thing and the fractions, I will never get this. It resenbles algebra or a math word problem and Ijust kinda blank out with those. But I will keep reading.

Thank you very much.

AB

How about:

Where can I learn more about Dosage…

www.chef-de-race.com
http://brisnet.com/cgi-bin/static.cgi?page=expdosage
http://brisnet.com/cgi-bin/static.cgi?page=advdosage (advanced theory)

Where can I try to order a win pic/video of my horse?
Figure out what track your horse has won at, then call and ask for track photographer. Having the date and race # when you talk to the photog helps a great deal. Most tracks and their #s are listed on the page below. Note, at most tracks photos and videos are purchased from differnt people. Videos are kept by the media or video room folks not the track photographer.

http://www.jockeyclub.com/industrylinks.asp?section=S

and
2004 report of mares bred by stallion (alphabetical order) http://jockeyclub.com/information.asp?reportrequest=RMB

Where can I order one of those APR disks?
http://brisnet.com/cgi-bin/static.cgi?page=aprinfo (info)

http://brisnet.com/aprorder.txt (pricing - specials going on now for the 2004 edition!)

Where can I learn more about ordering race records?
http://www.equineline.com/dotCommonNewUsersDisplay2.cfm

from the Jockey Club site online

Online rule book

http://www.registry.jockeyclub.com/registry.cfm?page=dotRegistryHelpDeskFAQ&#Client.URLToken

1. What is the deadline to register a Thoroughbred foal?

Thoroughbred foals may be registered at any time provided all requirements listed in the Principal Rules and Requirements of The American Stud Book are satisfied. To avoid late fees, The Jockey Club should receive all materials within 12 months of the date of foaling. Registration fees cover the cost of genetic typing, parentage verification and corrections made to the Certificate of Foal Registration within six (6) months from the date of issuance. Refer to the Fee Schedule for a full description of fees.

1. Why don’t I always receive my first name choice for my Thoroughbred?

To avoid confusion on the racetrack and in the breeding industry, The Jockey Club has established Rules for naming Thoroughbreds. These rules help prevent duplication of names already in use or names of horses which enjoyed distinguished careers on the racetrack or breeding farm. All names submitted to The Jockey Club for approval are subjected to stringent review to assure names requested are not similar in spelling or pronunciation to those names already in use. Approximately 450,000 names are unavailable either because they are in current use or protected because of historical significance. However, approximately 75% of first name choices submitted are approved by The Jockey Club. The fastest way to name your Thoroughbred is through Interactive RegistrationTM, which features an Online Names Book which is updated continuously.

1. How is the parentage of my Thoroughbred verified?

In 2001, The Jockey Club switched from blood typing to DNA typing for parentage verification. Although blood typing was state-of-the-art for many years, DNA typing is 99.9% efficacious. This high rate provides the greatest assurance modern science has to offer for the integrity of The American Stud Book. The genetic testing laboratories under contract by The Jockey Club compare the genetic factors present in the sire and dam to those factors present in the foal. These comparisons indicate whether the sire and dam reported do indeed qualify as the sire and dam of the foal.

1. How do I transfer ownership on my horse?

If the horse is already registered, submit a completed Transfer of Ownership form signed by the new owner or agent listing the new ownership information, the horse’s name, pedigree and date of purchase.

Forms submitted via Interactive Registration do not require a signature.

If the registration is still in progress and papers have not issued, simply supply the correct ownership information in the spaces provided on the various forms utilized by The Jockey Club. For example, the Live Foal Report and Application for Registration can be used to report the ownership of a horse for which the papers have not yet issued.

The back of the Certificate of Foal Registration provides a number of blank spaces to record transfers of ownership when Thoroughbreds are bought and sold. The Jockey Club encourages all breeders and owners to faithfully record ownership transfers on the back of the Certificate of Foal Registration before the Thoroughbred changes hands.

To assure that future correspondence concerning the Thoroughbred is mailed to the correct address, The Jockey Club encourages owners to report transfers of ownership to the registry by either logging onto Interactive Registration and selecting “Transfer Ownership” or by calling the registry office and requesting a Transfer of Ownership form.

Although the term “ownership” is used, keep in mind The Jockey Club does not purport to maintain accurate and up-to-date records of ownership on Thoroughbreds. Rather, the transfer of ownership information is necessary to assure registry correspondence concerning the Thoroughbred reaches the appropriate parties responsible for transacting business with the registry.

The Jockey Club will not release the ownership information regarding a particular horse unless requested by order of a racing or court authority.

No fee is required to transfer ownership and DO NOT return the Certificate of Foal Registration.

1. What does “Sold Without Pedigree” mean?

A Thoroughbred may be sold without the Certificate of Foal Registration. This type of sale arises when an owner wishes to sell a Thoroughbred but for either health or other reasons, does not want the horse to compete in racing or to breed. Thoroughbreds that are sold without pedigree remain listed in the American Stud Book; however, their offspring are not eligible for registration. Please refer to Rule 18 of the Principal Rules and Requirements of the American Stud Book for more information.

1. How can I replace my horse’s papers that were lost?

Complete a duplicate certificate form and submit the following to The Jockey Club:

Four (4) color photographs clearly indicating all identifying markings taken from the front, rear and both sides. If no identifying markings are present, please submit a fifth (5th) photograph of a close-up of the face indicating all cowlicks present

Bill of sale from owner or other form of proof of ownership.

Notarized statement from the owner or authorized agent describing in detail how the certificate of foal registration was lost or destroyed.

Duplicate fee (see Fee Schedule).

1. How can I get a pedigree and race record for my horse?Fee Schedule

equineline.com, the online Thoroughbred information service of The Jockey Club Information Systems, Inc. (TJCIS), has available many options for pedigrees and race records for nominal fees. This site is completely secure and you may order reports using your credit card. Sample products may be reviewed by clicking the horse head that says “Sample Product, Free.” You can also order a pedigree and race record by calling TJCIS at 800-333-1778 or 859-224-2800. All profits from TJCIS activities are re-invested in the Thoroughbred industry.

1. How can I find out about my horse when all I have is a tattoo number?

TJCIS offers two types of tattoo research. To find out more, call 800-333-1778 or 859-224-2800 or go to http://www.tjcis.com/ and click on the “tattoos researched” button.

Need additional information on registering your Thoroughbred? Please contact The Jockey Club Registration Services Department at (859) 224-2700.

enough yet?

Jessi