Unlimited access >

Racing 101

Need to correct a couple of dosage things

Dead center would be 0.00 in the CD. It would also represent a pedigree that has worked out to be classic distance without trending in either direction.

The most stamina laden horses are called Professional, then up to Stout or Solid, Classic, Intermediate, Brilliant.

There is a site,
Chefs by group
that lists all the horses that have achieved chef status in the last 100 or so years, by what stamina category they are recognized for.
Some are listed in more than one category, and I think that is due to how their offspring excelled.

Originally posted by Saskatoonian:
Hope it’s ok to post a racing 101 question…
Stepahnie Valberg has found that “horses tied-up most often with gallop training not when breezing or racing.” So what is the difference?
Thanks!

“Breezing” or “working” in racetrack parlance is when a horse is worked at high speed for a relatively short distance, usually two to four furlongs.

“Galloping” is when the horse goes out for a nice, long gallop, usually just a bit more than an open canter or hand gallop. It’s nothing for a horse to gallop two miles.

You would think, seeing as the breezing is an all-out effort, that a horse would be more likely to tie up. But the researcher has said that more horses tie up after those long, slow gallops.

thanks jessi i figured that was a good place to start. if i look up a track record, and add maybe four seconds to it, would i have an average workout? or am i totally wrong? do you just have to compare the times to other horses working at the same track at the same time?

Also, who can explain the Beyer Speed Figures?

edited to add thanks to all who are explaing this stuff, and i loff this thread!

Thank you so much for the information! I haven’t responded before now because I just returned from ten days in the Bahamas! I know, I know, it’s a tough gig but I figure I saved some other poor bloke from having to go in my place!

The original question was spawned when I decided to finally admit that I had no clue what they meant. I had done a pedigree query on my now three year old colt, newly registered with the JC, my very first “all mine” horse that I bred. He’s a fine looking young man and has sprinter stamped all over him!

Thank you again.

Thank you Linny. This is most enlightening! I had assumed that ‘black type’ did relate to stakes winnings, so I don’t feel as dumb as I might have

Toadie’s mom, I’ll answer your question!

A ‘wonk’ is someone that is studious or exceptionally knowledgable about a particular subject. It’s sometimes used in a disparaging way, sort of like calling someone a computer geek or nerd. A lot of times you’ll hear the term used in political circles, when someone is referred to as a ‘policy wonk.’ That means they have an unusual or obsessive amount of knowledge about policy.

Series of dumb questions:

Why is dosage important? HOw many peeps really buy off on that? Seems to me if one confines expectations based on pedigree, well you can see how that is faulty, no?

Do you pay attention to Beyer speed figures? I do, it is one of the numbers I can actually understand, but I know many don’t. What gives with that?

Fractions are equated with various distances along the track, pole xyz, no? Which of those are important and why? Please address as though you are talking to third grader, I just dn’t get it.

A bulleted work is fastest at given distance, track, what?

I havemy own wacky theory of post position based on rudimentary physics, please let me hear others.

I have read 3 Andrew Beyer books trying to figure this out, but he is more for the gambler which is another lesson antoher day.

Thanks very much in advance, truly and I so appreciate your patience also.

AB

I would call that a “Where’s the fruitfly?” moment.

Where’s the Fruitbat=WTF (which equals what the f%^*)

There is a lot of information here and thanks! I have two questions:

1. does a horse have to run with a bit?
  2. what is the purpose of tying their tongues?

Thanks!
Pat Ness

“They don’t card mile races” means that the racing secretary doesn’t write races going a straight mile. It usually has to do with the track configuration, e.g. track distance (bullring, mile, mile plus, etc.) and where chutes are placed on the track.

Ya-ya started a few times in a flipping halter.

Anything I should know about her? She’s a bit high strung, but has never offered to rear…

In addition to “Out of Conditions” is “Out of Starts.” The rules vary slightly from track to track, but at Charles Town, a horse must finish “on the board” (first, second or third) in one of ten consective starts in order to remain eligible to race. I think at Penn National they have the finish in the top five in one of five consecutive starts.

We’ve gotten several nice horses this way, and, while they could still have some physical problems, it at least says to me that the horse didn’t come off the track because of an injury.

Originally posted by Linny:
I dont recall ever seeing a horse race in a bitless bridle but I’m not sure if there is a rule about it.
Tongue ties keep the horse from getting the tongue over the bit and/or swallowing his tongue.

As with Reverberate?

(where’s my dunce cap?) a flipping halter?

NYRA’s Media Guide online has “birdseye” sketches of all three NYRA tracks HERE

bumping back up so I dont have to go digging…

Jessi

“Rabbits” are seen less often today at the higher levels. They are used alot in Europe where they are called “pacemakers.” The general idea is that a stable sacrifices one horse to provide a fast pace for a (presumably superior) stablemate. Many front runners are one dimensional, meaning that going to the lead and trying to last is all they do. The pacemaker or rabbit is entered to drag such horses into a suicidal pace, setting the race up for a closer to “pick up the pieces” when the speed fades.

Eddie Neloy used a rabbit to get Buckpasser home in front of Dr Fager back in the 60’s. I think the horse was Poker, the damsire of Seattle Slew and Silver Charm.
Many times in stakes, rabbits are horses of lesser quality than the level of the race. All they need is speed to do their job. After serving as a rabbit they many times return to the proper leval and compete very well.

For track diagrams/info, go to

pages 37, 38 Aqueduct

page 50 Belmont
page 60 Saratoga

Will see if I can find other tracks if I have time.

Jessi

Whoops, I’m sorry…
I meant paddock list, starters list, and stewards list.

Thanks a ton, Linny!

Thanks Louise! …Even tho no one will answer my question, I’m printing this wealth of knowledge.