Unlimited access >

Rambo -- Yay or Nay?

Are they still worth selling plasma for? I don’t mind splashing out if they are but haven’t owned one in forever. Opinions?

I love mine. I do have a few Weatherbeeta’s but I tend not to use them any more. The Rambo and Rhino turnouts just seem to fit my horses well and are comfortable for them to wear. I also prefer the tail cord to leg straps.

The Rambos are crazy expensive though. Rhinos are not quite as bad, but still pretty high. I have not been happy with Amigo turnouts - they just didn’t seem to last well.

If you can fit them into your budget, yes they’re worth it 100%. I was finally able to get my first one last year for my horse, and it’s leagues above any other blanket I’ve had for him. I’d like to get him a medium weight in that model as well, just waiting for a sale.

I agree with the other poster, I’ve had several Amigos and they’re all trash. Super narrow through the chest, cheap hardware, cheap fabric materials, poor waterproofing, I’ll never buy another Amigo.

I won’t buy anything but. Well worth it, IMO. (But do try to find them on sale!)

Rambo Supremes, if you have the budget for it. Mine have lasted for years, and other than the lightweights (which get used the most) requiring re-waterproofing, they’ve been excellent.

1 Like

Huh! I have a lot of Amigo’s (the Bravo 12 line) and have never had issue with them. Otherwise I have WeatherBeeta. I just can’t stomach the Rambo price tag.

4 Likes

While I totally agree that Rambos and Rhinos are high quality, and last extremely well, I want to point out that they’re still items of clothing for animals that (even the best of them) tend to be intent on both self-destruction and destruction.

In other words, I don’t buy such high-end clothing for myself. And I also don’t rub my butt on trees and wooden fences, roll in muddy ditches (which I’ve created), or grab other people’s clothing with my teeth and try to pull it off them.

I agree that the cheaper brands (including Amigos) are definitely not worth buying. Mostly I buy some less-expensive but still relatively well-made brands. I’ve had good luck with SmartPak’s Ultimate line of blankets, for example.
ETA: I see that there’s a thread on Horse Care in which people hate on the Ultimates. I’ve had a good experience, though, and the one sheet where a surcingle broke shortly after I bought it (on sale!) Smartpak quickly replaced with another sheet which was not on sale at no cost to me.

3 Likes

Tiny spinoff: does anyone else’s horseware blankets (amigo, rhino, rambo, etc) fit weird? Horse measures an 80, I have to size down to a 78, but he still looks like he’s swimming in them. The length is okay but they’re so long vertically. Is he just abnormally short-bodied in a vertical sense, or is this just how they fit? This has been the case in amigo, rhino and rambo (haven’t tried mio).

Also just a caution: I ordered him a Rhino wug in an 81 at first before realizing I needed to size down. I sent it back over a month ago and still haven’t gotten refunded (ALSO if you’re buying directly from Horseware, they do not cover return shipping!). Just fyi in case anyone needs a quick return/refund process…

I think they’re worth buying, but do try to get them on sale or second hand if you can. While they are worth buying brand new, they are expensive.

I’ve purchased just about every brand of blanket out there and always go back to the Rambo because of the cut and shape: they have good cut for the wither and shoulder that I just don’t see in other brands.

It’s been a 10 year process but the herd is now almost entirely outfitted in Rambo sets (rain sheet, 100g, midweight). No issues with rips or hardware breakage. I do need to rewaterproof every season, but they are out 24/7 and are brutal on their blankets – like, biting each other playing “blanket-tag”.

I have one Rambo that has to be at least 20 years old that is still in rotation as the spare blanket when one blanket gets soaked through - my TBs don’t tend to use the shed, even in a deluge… But that blanket was given to me in 2008, from a friend who bought it from a fellow barnmate about six years before – and that barnmate bought it second hand from someone else.

Agree with others that Amigo and Mio are not worth the money at all for turnout. I did have a few Amigos, they fit okay but the hardware got yanked off within a week. If you buy them, reinforce all the stitching.

@marmarmar Horseware tends to make blankets with generous drops and they do tend to run a size bigger.

2 Likes

My whole herd is in Rambos and Amigo Bravos. I only buy actual Rambos when I can get them heavily discounted or in good condition used. Everything else is Amigo Bravo and I’ve been quite happy with them, no complaints. They fit, they last, they are waterproof. :woman_shrugging:

This is normal. If you read their sizing guidelines, they tell you to measure and then subtract 4 inches.

Thanks! I did see that when I was getting the 78 instead of the 81. The chest to tail length of the 78 is fine, it’s more the vertical drop that seems long!

Hmmmm. Well, shoot! The one I ordered might be too big then. I hate when companies do that:
“Take your measurement, plug it into the Demand Factor equation, and divide by the square root of Pi.”

1 Like

I have both. I will say that the Rambo turnout rain sheet was waterproof until the day after the warranty ran out basically. Then it was not only not waterproof but not really able to be adequately re-waterproofed. The I bought an amigo rain sheet and it has worn like iron. I couldn’t be happier with it so I guess everyone’s mileage varies…

FYI - I think the Wugs fit more true to size. I have 87 Wugs on my 17.3h WB and he fits in an 87 in other brands as well. The Optimo definitely runs bigger. All the Rambo models have a very generous drop on them, which I like.

My older horse is a blanket destroyer and of his Rambo blankets (bought used or on super sale), only one medium weight has been fully retired due to large rips in the lining. I think his first used heavy weight had one tear on the outside and was eventually sold/donated since the fill was getting compressed. I also bought a used Wug rainsheet that is not very waterproof, so that’s disappointing.

My young horse removed his Horseware liner twice in the pasture last year and put a foot through the shoulder area. This year he’ll be in better fitting used Rambo blankets and I’m hoping they stand up to his antics.

Yes, they are long, especially on short horses. And the better ones run a little big.

Yeah. I think that’s just how they are cut. The only ones that seem to have a shorter drop are the Rhinos, and specifically the Wugs - which just fit smaller overall to me.

1 Like

I have also found that the Rhinos have a shorter drop than the Rambos. I also think they are a bit more true to size overall. I have a 14.3 QH who fits a 72 Rhino Wug perfectly, but a 72 Rambo regular cut is too big, and a 69 Rambo is too small.

Yay…I have some rain sheets that are over 15 years old lol

i think so.
i used amigos forever, but they didn’t hold up wrt waterproofing and often got small holes. Rambo much better