Unlimited access >

Recipe Exchange

Orange Basil Black Beans

Serves 8

2 1/2 to 3 cups cooked black beans. (If using canned beans, drain and rinse)
2 scallions, sliced thin on the diagnol
1 cup peeled and diced (1/4 inch) seedless cucumber
1 cup seeded and diced (1/4 inch) ripe plum tomatoes
1 cup thinly sliced celery, halved lengthwise
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
4 tablespoons finely slivered basil
2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.

Combine all ingredients in a bowl; toss gently. Let rest, covered, at room temperature for at least 1 hour before serving.

Colin, that’s 1 six pack per person, right??

I had pickles and cheetos for dinner last night!

Still waiting for that Creme Bruelee recipe from Robby J!!!

I can’t send e-mail to the address you sent me! Please e-mail me again so I can send on the recipe. Thanks!

Orange Basil Black Beans

Serves 8

2 1/2 to 3 cups cooked black beans. (If using canned beans, drain and rinse)
2 scallions, sliced thin on the diagnol
1 cup peeled and diced (1/4 inch) seedless cucumber
1 cup seeded and diced (1/4 inch) ripe plum tomatoes
1 cup thinly sliced celery, halved lengthwise
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
4 tablespoons finely slivered basil
2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.

Combine all ingredients in a bowl; toss gently. Let rest, covered, at room temperature for at least 1 hour before serving.

Frozen salad

1 20 oz. can crushed pinapple, drained
1 can whole berry cranberry sauce
2 very ripe mashed bananas
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
1 large Cool Whip (this is probably now the medium size)

Mix all ingredients and freeze in square glass casserole. Cut into squares and serve on lettuce leaf.

Thanks Heidi. That sounds marvellous. We have a couple of really good Asian Markets here and I will scout out my ingredients tomorrow. Can’t wait. Thanks again.

Erin:

If you don’t own a slow-cooker or a crock-pot, you really CAN avoid box dinners with a little time and creativity.

I don’t use mine nearly as much as I should, but they are very, very handy.

However, as someone who believes everything he sees on infomercials - and hello? I have a degree in communications with a minor in marketing, so I’m well aware of the smoke and mirrors involved - I really, really want the T-Fal Infusion Cooking System that Florence Henderson and Janet from “All My Children” are hocking on TV right now.

You put all of your fresh ingredients into this pot, snap on the lip, and on your stovetop you have a meal in like, 9 minutes. The system is $399.95 (of course) but it really looks handy.

Robby

p.s. heidi - your pork recipe sounds great. I’ll have to try it. I also have a (home-invented) recipe for a lime/ginger pork tenderloin that’s always a big hit.

1 small root freshly shaved/shredded ginger (I use a regular vegetable peeler to accomplish this)
1/2 lime, juiced, 1/2 lime sliced and cut into 1/8th’s
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp dry ginger
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Sprinkle two pork tenderloins with salt/pepper.
Place in roasting bag.
Top with shredded ginger.
Whisk lime juice, soy sauce, mustard and ginger in small bowl. Pour over tenderloins.
Top with small bits of lime.
Refrigerate 2-3 hours then remove and bake at 400 for 40-45 minutes.

I think in my mispent youth, I bought such a wonderful device for very little money … they called it a pressure cooker Do they still make those? Bet they still cost less than the fancy named version that does the same thing!

Someone asked about creme brulee? This recipe came out of the Williams Sonoma catalog–a GREAT place for recipes by the way!–and I have made it numerous times with good results. It will not, however, help you in the zipping up chaps/sliding into boots department…

I went to cooking school this year, much to my husband’s delight. I’ll try to rustle up some other easy recipes…

Creme Brulee

2 1/4 cups heavy cream

1/4 cup plus 8 tsp white sugar (8 tsps are for sprinkling on top for crust)

4 egg yolks

1tsp vanilla extract

1 vanilla bean-sliced lengthwise to expose the center

1)Preheat oven to 300 degrees and start a pot or teakettle of boiling water (teakettle is easier because you have to pour the water later on)

2)In a saucepan over medium heat, combine cream, 1/4 cup of sugar and vanilla bean.

3)Cook, stirring until steam starts to rise from the surface (about 5 minutes)?DO NOT LET IT BOIL.

4)Remove from heat and let stand for 10-15 minutes.

5)In a separate bowl, beat egg yolks and vanilla extract until blended.

6)Set fine mesh sieve/strainer over another bowl and strain cream to catch any of the ?milk skin? if there is some. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean casing into the cream for more vanilla flavor.

7)Pour cream into the egg yolk mixture a little at a time stirring constantly until smooth. You do NOT want to let the yolks curdle, so go slow.

8)Divide mixture among four 6-ounce ramekins.

9)Line a 3 inch deep baking pan with a kitchen towel and place the ramekins into the pan so that they are not touching.

10)Pour boiling water into the pan so that it comes halfway up the sides of the ramekins (this is called a water bath).

11)Cover the whole pan loosely with foil and bake until set. PLEASE NOTE: THE RECIPE SAYS THIS PART SHOULD TAKE 30-35 MINUTES, BUT I HAVE MADE THIS THREE TIMES AND IT ALWAYS TAKES MUCH LONGER?ALMOST AN HOUR! I?VE BEEN RELUCTANT TO INCREASE THE HEAT NOT KNOWING IF IT WOULD GET FLAN-LIKE OR SOMETHING. THE KEY IS THAT THE MIXTURE SHOULDN?T LOOK TOO LIQUIDY WHEN YOU SHAKE IT.

12)Remove ramekins from the pan and let them cool to room temperature before refrigerating for 2-3 hours.

13)Sprinkle the tops evenly with a coating of white sugar and use a kitchen torch to quickly caramelize the tops to form the crust. ANOTHER HINT: EXPERIMENT WITH THIS PART. JUST PUT THE SUGAR ON ONE AT A TIME TO PRACTICE SO THAT YOU KNOW HOW MUCH SUGAR YOU NEED TO GET THE CRUST YOU ARE AIMING FOR. ALSO, YOU CAN GET A GOOD PROPANE TORCH AT A HARDWARE STORE INSTEAD OF THE WILLIAM-SONOMA TORCH IF YOU PREFER. THE TRICK IS TO NOT HOLD THE FLAME IN ONE SPOT FOR TOO LONG OR THE SUGAR BURNS? I have done this for a dinner party with friends and it can be entertaining to let each person torch their own–especially after a couple of bottles of wine! But you can use your own discretion–you know your friends!!

Serve immediately!

For some reason my punctuation marks turned to question marks when I copied this over in Word. Let me know if you have a question!!!

[This message was edited by CWP on Jan. 09, 2001 at 12:37 PM.]

Pwynn, here is a really simple way to use up the last chunk of tofu. I scanned in a Scrambled Tofu recipe from Mary Estella’s 1985 book Natural Foods Cookbook. I usually just use sprouts, crumbled tofu and the curry on toast,as a quick lunch.( Instead of the onion, carrot and celery) If this scan is not readable I will type out the whole thing for you.(I could do a full reset with new shoes and corks a lot faster though.)

Colin, LOL, you will note that my “recipe,” while real, was posted with an intent similar to yours. You were just a bit more direct…

Heidi and Whoa!, next time I go “collect” my bulls, I will be sure to send you some sauce…wouldn’t the testicles cook up better in their natural surroundings?

What a groos way to start my Friday morning!!!

BTW WHOA! - Don’t lie!! Those aren’t “pig” testicles…Amazing how that slaughter house is located next to the guys sports dorm…I take it Chuck didn’t return your call like he promised he would LOLOL!!!

I will be sure to bring this along with the rest of my goodies to the next H/J show to delight everyone.

(Bet it goes great with Jerk Chicken!) This has to fall under “Okay by Erin” 'cause I mentioned the horse show!

Hmm. I’d say this is stretching it as far as horse-related topics go. However, perhaps we can look the other way if someone can suggest easy things (i.e. leaving more time for the barn… horse reference) I can make myself for dinner that don’t come out of boxes!

Heidi said:

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>To quote Ludger, “ist sehr wunderbar, ja, Heidi. Now I go jump that uber oxer”.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heidi, you crack me up…

I live in Arkansas - aka Bubbaville - and I have no problem at all going right up into the grocery in my breeches, muck and shavings! That’s no excuse! (Though we have issues scheduling time to grocery shop as well.)

Also, here’s a link to a great site:

www.epicurious.com

Robby

Erin, I have food other than out of a box all the time…

Wendy’s – comes in a bag.
Jack in the Box – another bag.
Taco Bell - bag again.
Boston Market – on a plate in a bag.
KFC – sometimes a bucket.
Can’t include Pizza Hut – there’s that box problem.
And, of course, ready-roasted chicken from Kroger – little plastic tray with cover.

Thanks CWP, love the stuff. Would live on it if possible WS has great recipes…

The only thing I can cook is tofu. I have a wonderful recipe for tofu and green beans in a Thai peanut sauce over rice. Please e-mail me if you’re interested and I will send it along!

Colin - See this is what happens when the queen of mayhem gets too busy at work to rule the roost. Sea Urchin goes beserk with alter egos and we’re stuck exchanging recipes.