Unlimited access >

Recipe Exchange

no comment

Robby youā€™re a doll!!!
Thanks so much - I canā€™t wait to make this ā€¦ and so itā€™s a horsey topic - I hope youā€™re going to make this for Jairā€™s ā€œHorsewarming Party!!ā€

Either the low fat/low cal version or the full on ā€œI donā€™t give a damnā€ Orange Chocolate Mousse is fabulous scooped ontop of a chocolate cake round and covered with melted Valharona (spelling) cocolate blended with either a bit of butter or corn syrup.

OOPS - didnā€™t see Erinā€™s post! Um Erin, especially for the post holiday rider - the low cal version - to keep those chaps from not doing up!!!

Recipes

Mousse Au Chocolat (Chocolate Mousse)
Ingredients for 4 people :
- 225 gr [8 oz] plain bitter chocolate
- 30 gr [1 oz] butter (unsalted)
- 45 gr [11/2 oz] caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 spoons sour cream
- 3 spoons Cointreau (or any orange
type liquor)

Directions :
        1- Separate the egg yolks from white. In a large salad bowl, whisk together the yolks and the sugar until the mixture gets clearer and smooth.
        2- Cut the chocolate and butter in small squares and put them in a small heavy saucepan with 2 spoons of Cointreau and 2 spoons of water. Melt the whole over a low heat, stirring non stop with a wooden spoon until smooth. The chocolate must not stick to the pan.
        3- Pour the melted chocolate in the egg and sugar mixture and stir ; add the left spoon of liquor, mix, add the cream and stir.
        4- Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until frothy. They must get "hard" (the real test is to turn the bowl upside down  and the whites should not fall down !!!).
        5- Spoon by spoon (quarter by quarter) , gently incorporate the egg whites to the chocolate mixture; you can do it simply with a whisk (you just need to do quick and light moves, you must not "break" the bubbles kept in the whites).
        6- Evenly pour the mousse in the 4 soufflļæ½ dishes (you can as well use 6 to 8 ramequins to serve more guests). Leave in fridge for at least 3 hours before serving (the mousse should get "hard").

Decorate with orange strips, a teaspoon of sour cream or coffee beansā€¦

Low Fat Version

1 tablespoon + 1-1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
1-1/2 cups evaporated skim milk, divided

1/3 cup granulated sugar, divided
4 packets artificial sweetener, divided

1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons frozen orange-juice concentrate, thawed
Juice of 1 lemon

4 large egg whites, at room temperature
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar

1/3 cup heavy cream, whipped
Orange sections and mint leaves for garnish (optional)

Yield: Makes ten 1/2-cup servings 

In small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over 3/4 cup milk; let stand 5 minutes to soften gelatin. Over low heat, cook, stirring, until gelatin dissolves completely. Stir in half the sugar; cook,
stirring, until sugar dissolves; remove from heat.

In a large bowl, stir together remaining milk, orange-juice concentrate, lemon juice, 2 packets Sweetener and gelatin mixture until well blended. Refrigerate 20 minutes or until
mixture mounds slightly when dropped from a spoon. In medium-size bowl with mixer at high speed, beat egg whites, remaining sugar, Sweetener and cream of tartar until stiff
peaks form. In another small bowl with mixer at high speed, beat heavy cream until soft peaks form. Fold egg white and whipped cream into gelatin mixture. Spoon into serving bowl
or 10 individual serving dishes. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm.

Garnish with orange sections and mint leaves, if desired.

Per serving: 120 calories (225 calories saved per serving by using this sugar substitute)

[This message was edited by Canter on Jan. 08, 2001 at 03:39 PM.]

Get a slow cooker. I used to hate cooking - prep time, clean up time, cooking time, all in the same night. With the slow cooker, I prepare everything that I can the night before (or the weekend before, whenever you have a few minutes to chop carrots, or celery, or peppers, etc. Then the ā€œmorning ofā€, I just finish whatever preparations I couldnā€™t do earlier, throw it all in the cooker, turn it on for 6-10 hours, and you come home a scrumption smelling house and good food!

Ingredients:

4 whole eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup chopped pecans
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup white corn syrup
1 stick butter
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
3 tbsp flour
4 tbsp Kentucky Bourbon (Jim Beam or Makers Mark)
1 pie shell

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk the flour into the bourbon and set aside. Melt butter. Meanwhile, beat the eggs and mix in all the other ingredients. Add in the bourbon mixture and butter, stir, and pour into the pie shell. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes. Great served after the races (or any other time) slightly warm with a topping of ice cream.

By Nate Owens, the Roadside Cafe and Leaninā€™ Tree, Inc.

Haha Portia! That is too funny!

Still witing for the creme bruele (sp?) recipe from Robby J. It is my favorite!

Mastered the pig, onto the cow. Who has a good recipe for meatloaf and/or pot roast?

with a raw quail egg. Itā€™s a Japanese delicacyā€¦

It requires one small sea urchin, a quail egg and seaweed.

Wrap seaweed in a circle about 2" in diameter. Place sea urchin and raw egg (crack it first of course) inside seaweed. Swallow the whole thing all at once (trust me you donā€™t want to chew this stuff) and try not to gag.

I mean, I can brush off lame threads about horse training techniques, helmets, etc., but RECIPES? Yipes! That one scares me!

Itā€™s true. Have been slammed at workā€¦but was pleasantly surprised to see the demise of the Urchin - I knew VTrider would come around!!! hehehe!

Iā€™ll definately have to make more of an effort to monitor the BB for pethetic threads such as this. Yipes! Yaā€™all scared me!!!

www.busycooks.about.com

Now I thought was a blatant attempt to get ETBW to give us some of HER recipes.

Heidi, I would dearly love your ā€œspicy porkā€ recipe. The hotter, the better!

And, yes Erin, this will free me up to spend more time on the John Deere!!!

Thanks.

Good one JB - but wait a sec Erin!
I think food is just as related to horses as cell phones are - even more!!!

Me too, Robby! I just trot on in and get my stuff. I have been a real vision lately, with the shavings so cheerfully attaching themselves to my polarfleece! I donā€™t turn up my nose at the construction workers. I hope they do me the same courtesy.

This is good to make up in the hot summer months. Make it before you go riding to let it chill.
Iā€™m a vegetarian, and use soy Chik-ENĆÆĀæĀ½ instead of chicken, but chicken works fine. Just pre cook it.
3 stalks of celery chopped
1/2 c of toasted almonds
1 1/2 c of chopped ChikenĆÆĀæĀ½ or chicken (cooked)
1 apple, diced
@ 1/2 cup of mayo (You can use fat-free or what not)
1 T lemon juice
1 teaspoon curry powder.
Mix celery, chicken, almonds, and apple.
Mix Mayo, juice, and curry. Mix with chicken and friends.
Chill a bit. Eat.

Okay, unfortunately this isnā€™t an exact recipe because I got it from my momā€™s head not from a book! However, I think itā€™s pretty straightforward and the result she gets is fabulous.

She got an actual meatloaf mix from Mollie Stoneā€™s that has the meat and other stuff mixed in together already, but I think if you were to recreate it you would use ground beef, onions, salt and pepper, and tomatoes.

Add a can of stewed tomatoes and/or a good fresh salsa.

Mix bread crumbs and some milk and add that to meat.

Put the whole thing together in a bread pan and bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutesā€“donā€™t overcook!

This is a vague recipe, but meatloaf is a fairly basic thing I suppose. The salsa/canned tomatoes keeps it from getting dry.

DO you have a recipe for a fried sea urchin? I love grease!

If youā€™d followed the thread about Jairā€™s new horse and then picked this one up, you mayā€™ve understood better.

But Hello? you didnā€™t.

I didnā€™t think you guys could buy beer out there in Utah?!

Creme Brulee - for Justbay - Iā€™m cooking this weekend and will drag down the book and I promise to give it to you Monday! Itā€™s actually really easy, Iā€™m just not sure of a few ingredients and Iā€™d hate to make it backfire on you!

Robby

Hey, at least I give the food! Kennett Square has requested pate for the next show. I will need to make a batch of horse cookies as well.

Wow Canter, Iā€™m drooling over my keyboard!

Your dessert sounds awesome! That Varhona French specialty chocolate is supposedly like no other kinds - is it really that good? Iā€™ve seen it here, but at $5.00 for a regular sized bar, I couldnā€™t quite bring myself to try it.