Unlimited access >

Recipe Exchange

rusty, you genius - I’m now up to 3 pig recipes, 98 to go before my book hits the market.

Almost forgot to add most important piece of advice when preparing pig parts for Ludger. Boil spareribs for an hour with a diced onion and small piece of ginger - eliminates the ‘piggy’ taste and results in ever so tender meat - prior to baking or barbecuing.

Don’t be silly, Erin. Yo’re not too dirty to go in the grocery store. Too tired, maybe.

We used to go from the barn straight out to eat. And only one restaurant in town refused to seat us. And that one was owned by a friend of mine, LOL. She made us sit on the porch.

I’m on a roll-
Company coming? UhOh, you spent too much time with Mr Fluffy and only have an hour to get dinner on the table!
Tasty Feta pasta (4)
1/4 lb. Feta crumbled
10 oz. Frozen spinach (thaw)
Bag of Pasta (I like bow ties)
1 Jar or spaghetti sauce

Cook pasta. Heat spaghetti sauce with spinach in it. When pasta is cooked, drain and add to sauce and spinach. Mix. Toss in Feta.
Srve with crusty bread and salad.

I have a good meatloaf AND pot roast recipe, per your request!

ITALIAN MEATLOAF

2 lbs. ground beef or turkey
1 C chopped onion
1/3 C chopped green pepper
1 C Italian seasoned bread crumbs
1 C undiluted evaporated milk
2 slightly beaten eggs
3/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon dry mustard
Catsup

Combine all ingredients. Mix lightly but thoroughly. Pack meat mixture into 9 x 5 x 3" loaf pan. Top with catsup. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 hours. Drain off excess fat; let stand 10 minutes before removing from pan for slicing.

EASY POT ROAST

1 4-6 lb. roast
Salt
Pepper
3-4 cloves garlic, put through garlic press
2 large onions, sliced
2 potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
2 cans tomato soup
2/3 soup can of water

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Salt and pepper roast, rub with garlic and put in roasting pan. Surround with potatoes. Cover roast with onions and add remaining onions to potatoes. Bake 20-30 minutes. Then reduce heat to 300 degrees. Mix soup and water together and pour over roast. Cover with foil and cook an additional 3 1/2 - 4 hours.

[This message was edited by dublin on Jan. 09, 2001 at 09:41 PM.]

That’s worse than cutting bait.

I got recipe.

This is one that’s been handed down through the generations in Hans’ family. Ma-in-law Helga is, after all, known as a ball buster for more than one reason.

-2 pounds of bull testicles, preferably fresh, sliced thinly, rolled in spiced flour, deep fried;

-1 large onion, sauteed in olive oil; add TBSP of garlic, cup of cherry koolaid, add floured slices of testes.

-Cook covered for one hour or until sauce thickens.

Serve over rice or pasta.

ETBW, “Jerk Chicken”? Is that anyway to talk about poor VTRider just because she went to a farming school?

Whenever the Beerbaums venture to my house, this is the dish they request…is that better Erin?

The Meat
-regular slab of pork tenderloin, sliced into 1/4 inch slices.

The sauce
-1/4 cup of hot korean pepper paste;
-2 TBSP of soy sauce;
-1 TBSP of sesame oil;
-1 TBSP of hot Korean pepper flakes;
-1 TSP of sugar;
-1 TBSP of minced garlic;
-2 TSP of peeled, minced ginger;
-2 TBSP of roasted sesame seeds
-3 green onions, sliced thinly, vertically

Mix all ingredients for sauce, toss in with sliced pork tenderloin. Let marinade for couple of hours. Heat skillet, toss in 2 TSP veg. oil, stir fry. Eat.

To quote Ludger, “ist sehr wunderbar, ja, Heidi. Now I go jump that uber oxer”.

Quinn, should you have difficulty in obtaining the ingredients, just venture on down to my house and I’ll make it for you.

Erin, in line with JB’s suggestion, here is a very easy, tasty crockpot recipe. Basically all you need for this recipe is a can opener …and it’s great on a cold night!

TACO SOUP

1 lb. ground turkey
1 16 oz. can kidney beans
1 11 oz. can niblet corn
1 10 oz. can Rotel tomatoes (tomato and diced pepper mix)
1 small package taco seasoning mix
1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes in puree
1 4 oz. can diced green chiles
1 16 oz. can black beans
1 small package Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix
Optional: 1 jalapeno chile, diced, if you want a bit spicier soup

Brown the ground turkey and drain. Add all other ingredients and stir. (Do not drain cans before adding). Simmer in crockpot on low for 6-8 hours.
Serve with tortilla chips or cornbread.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I live in Arkansas - aka Bubbaville - and I have no problem at all going right up into the grocery in my breeches, muck and shavings! That’s no excuse! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I never said it was a good excuse… but when I’m tired, cold, and hungry, it works.

Ok, my favorite quick food is pretty much anything that comes out of a steamer. Not only is it FAST, but it’s healthy - honest! You can cook anything from carrots to crab to sausage, and you don’t have to watch it, turn it, stir it or even do anything but come back a half an hour later. Of course, the weekends are for big production meals, but who has time during the week for cooking?

I’m going to try these on the weekend - shall report back with results. Thank you!

Can someone ask Mr Bull Semen Salesman if he’s ever heard of a recipe based on testicles of bulls or horses? I think I read about it in a book somewhere and (understandably) it stuck in my memory. And no, it wasn’t Science Fiction.

I’m not planning on gelding anything for cooking purposes, just wanted to know.

Teri

Oh god, Heidi. Cooking testicles in Koolaid sauce. If only I had known earlier. The next time I have to stroll across campus carrying a big bag of pig testicles (don’t ask, reproductive physiology is a strange, strange discipline) and people give me funny looks, I’ll just smile and hold up a packet of red Koolaid and tell them the in-laws are coming over for dinner.

By the way, Erin, for those dinner crises, you just need to make sure you have Cool Whip and chocolate chips in the house at all times. If you live alone you don’t even have to use a bowl. Ahhhh… grad school forms the BEST habits.

Blatant on Robby’s part (mine, too! ) Those of us who cannot partake of your sumptuous repasts at least want recipes, so we can make our own feeble attempts.

Jair - it is simply the finest cooking chocolate in all of the land - a perfect butterfat/chocolate ratio is absolutely necessaire when preparing my personal addicition - the flourless chocolate cake. THAT my friend, is death by chocolate.

I used to be a sous chef and pastry chef. I’ve always wanted to decorate an equestrian-themed cake. One of these days…

Heidi - both those recipes sound awesome - just the thing to serve ringside at Grand Prix Event!
Erin - we’re trying, we’re trying!

Buy thick cut, boneless pork chops at local market.

Spray skillet with non-stick spray, or risk cholesterol and melt butter or margarine, about 1/2" off the stick. Turn heat to medium until butter melts or drop of water sizzles in pan.

Put pork chops in pan. Turn when first side browns.

Add some left over orange juice, or pineapple juice. Enough to come half way up the pork chops. Put lid on pan turn heat down to low. Let simmer until center of pork chop is no longer pink. Don’t let the juice completely boil out. Add more juice if necessary. Salt to taste after cooked.

For a pseudo-gourmet touch, at the same time as adding juice put a small can of chopped mango or peaches or apricots, juice and all.

Serve with rice and green salad from the bag. Throw some packaged croutons on salad, and voila gourmet dining.

Chicken breasts can be substituted for piggy.

Love to BBQ? Try this marinade for beef tenderloin (or any other cut o’ beef) Dinner flavours itself while you’re at the barn.

In a bowl mix:

1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
2 cloves of garlic minced
Fresh ground pepper
A splash of leftover red wine - preferably a few week old and undrinkable!!

Pour over 1 inch thick tenderloins. Marinate for 4-6 hours. (I marinade inside a ziplock freezer bag - that gives the steaks equal marinade depth)

Preheat grill on high. Sear one minute per side on high. Turn heat down to med/high. Cook 4 minutes per side for rare, 5 mins per side for med/rare, 6 mins per side for medium to well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> ETBW, “Jerk Chicken”? Is that anyway to talk about poor VTRider just because she went to a farming school? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I bought some, trying to reproduce what I had at a restaurant, and blew it. So now I have this block of tofu I don’t what know to do about.

Sportponies Unlimited
Specializing in fancy, athletic, 3/4-TB ponies.
Shameless signature plugplugplug.