Unlimited access >

Recipe Exchange

Teri, they are sometimes referred to as Rocky Mountain Oysters, I have to assume from a similarity in texture!?! Sorry, I don’t have a specific recipe to share!

For pig testicles, you use a can of cream soda. Preferably CRUSH.

Have discovered in my SAHM years that I am a wonderful cook, specializing in pork. My killer recipe is for a pork loin roast (also great w/ boneless tenderloin) which I have found is perfect for barn get-togethers.

Heidi’s Pork Roast
-1/4 cup honey
-1/4 cup soy sauce
-1/4 cup Chinese oyster sauce
-2 tBSP brown sugar
-1 TBSP fresh ginger, minced
-1 TBSP minced garlic
-1 TBSP ketchup
-1/4 TSP onion salt
-1/4 TSP cayenne
-1/4 TSP ground cinammon

Mix all ingredients together, marinade over night, cook in roasting pan, covered. Cook at 325 for about 4 hours for approx. 5 lb roast or 1.5 hours for boneless pork tenderloin. Slice, drizzle marinade on top. SCRUMPTIOUS.

Also have a great spicy pork tenderloin recipe which I’ll also post if anyone is interested in spicy pig parts.

I am unfortunately a lousy meal planner, I say that because once I figure out what to cook I can follow directions of a recipe or make some decent variations.

I think that heidi should write a book " 101 Ways to Cook Pigs" that would temporarily solve her career problem and help those of us that aren’t so talented in the kitchen.

Robby thanks for starting this thread.

You guys are making me so hungry I’m afraid I’m going to break my New Years resolution - 10 by March.

Erin, I give my horse Sundays off. So I try to cook a roast each week and then eat off of it all week. I do plain something first. Then each night I can add something to it quickly to make a meal. When all else fails, there is always scrambled eggs or cereal.

Shopping, I stopped in the Chevy Chase Suppermarket one winter night in my insulated coveralls for a quick purchase. As I was checking out, the checker leaned over and quietly asked me if I’d been on a horse farm. She quickly added that she had a horse herself and used to board at the same farm I do now. I finally decided it must have been my barn gloves I was wearing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>To quote Ludger, “ist sehr wunderbar, ja, Heidi. Now I go jump that uber oxer”. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROTFLMAO!!!

Pwynn needs a good tofu recipe!!!

Recipes?

Have you guys TOTALLY LOST IT???

HELLO???

This is very embarrassing! I mean, HELLO???

Colin’s recipe to contribute to this lame thread:

6-pk bud light
Bag of pretzels
Utah horse show

Best entertainment ever! !

Those rolls of Pillsbury ready-to-bake cookie dough have always worked for me, WHOA.

Tech is near and dear to our family! My brilliant sister graduated cum laude from there while UVA let our doofuss D+ average out of state cousin in!

Okay Robby, fess up. You said you had a creme brulee recipe to die for. Pleaseeeeee? This gives a much needed dessert for all the horse dinners we are a fixing.

Oh my, I’ve been inspired. And I’ve just found what must be the best website ever:

http://busycooks.about.com

They have a whole section of recipes with no more than five ingredients. Oh, I am finally saved!

Of course, this still doesn’t solve the problem of finding time to go to the grocery store. But it’s a start.

Horse content: there IS a grocery store on the way home from the barn. But I’m usually too dirty to go in!

If you plan your trip correctly you park in the lee of HN73’s round bale!

If you freeze tofu, then thaw it, the texture gets …well, better. I grate it and substitute it for burger in casseroles, etc. Mr. Cholesterol likes this recipe…

Stuffed Peppers with walnut cream sauce

1 cake tofu, frozen, thawed and grated

1/2 cup chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced
couple dashes cinnamon
couple dashed ground red pepper
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 1/2 tbl vegetable oil
1 large tomato, chopped
1/2 apple, cored and chopped
1/4 cup raisins (raisins aren’t my favorite so I use less and use the golden ones)
3 tbls finely chopped almonds
1/2 tbls vinegar

3 large bell peppers (I use mixed colors)
1/2 cup tomato juice

1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup lightly toasted walnuts
1/4 cup cream cheese
2 tbl milk
1 tsp cinnamon
couple dashes ground red pepper

Saute first five ingred. in the oil until onions are soft. Add tomato, apple and raisins. Cover and simmer on five minutes or so until apple is soft Add tofu, almonds, and vinegar and simmer another ten min, stirring occasionally. Salt to taste.
Cut the peppers in half lengthwise and remove seeds.(I try to leave the stems, so the ends hold together better.) Fill each half with the tofu mixture and place in glass baking pan Add tomato juice to bottom of pan and cover with foil Bake at 350 for 30 to 45 minutes, until peppers are tender.
While baking, puree sauce ingredients. The sauce is served at room temp. Serve peppers with rice and a dollop of walnut sauce on top.

That would be Ms. Bull Semen Salesman LOL!! And no, I am domestically challenged…can’t cook much past a grilled cheese LOL!!!

meupatdoes’s chicken thighs:

The Basics:

1. Put pure (not extra virgin) olive oil in a well seasoned cast iron and get it hot to medium high
  2. Put salt and pepper on chicken thighs and place in the cast iron skin side down until skin is golden. Flip until the other side is golden.
  3. Flip them back to skin side up and finish in 400 degree oven for about 15 minutes (temp to 165), then under the broiler for 1.5 - 2 minutes.

You can dress this up in several ways:

1. You could put fingerling potatoes around the chicken thighs and let them cook in the chicken fat

2. Same for bell peppers and onions

3. You can put hot honey on the skin right before you switch on the broiler

4. Many jams (apricot, peach, ginger fig, marmalade, etc) are also good at this stage

5. You can put scallions and mushrooms around the chicken thighs and then make a sauce: mix up a corn starch slurry and then add honey plus miso plus soy sauce plus garlic; pour over chicken thighs and veggies right before they go in the oven.
    People go completely bananas when I make this and it is absolutely delicious.

This takes about 30 minutes start to finish no matter what iteration you are making and for half of that time it’s self contained in the oven anyway. Farro or rice is great with it too and will cook up on the stove in the 30 minutes it takes to make the rest.

It’s a perfect meal for small dinner parties because you can do everything in one pan, ask your guests what veg/sides/sauce they want and then whip it together in front of them, and spend half the time chatting waiting for the timer to go off.

3 Likes

22 years! That’s got to be a zombie thread record.

1 Like

Lol I’m just seeing this. I don’t know how it showed up in the recent threads list because I definitely didn’t do a search :rofl::rofl::rofl: