Unlimited access >

Registered sex offender at shows,ETA now in Florida

The catch is this person is not a usef member. Their spouse/significant other is a member and a professional. The offenders offense was with one of the spouses students,all public record. Is this a safe sport issue?

2 Likes

I would think so,are they there with their spouse who is coaching etc?

2 Likes

Yes,the spouse is there as a trainer coaching students, with the offender spectating/helping in the barn. The offender only seems to ride at schooling type shows

2 Likes

Wow. This seems highly inappropriate, to say the least.

If he (the reg. sex offender) was/had been a USEF member, he’d most likely be banned from the premises, etc. Yet since he is not (great way to try and circumvent the Safe Sport rules), I’d think that this is a situation where his significant other (a USEF member) could be held accountable by Safe Sport for potentially enabling, aiding or abetting their reg. sex offender partner.

I’ll stay away from wondering aloud about the interpersonal dynamics at this particular barn. :flushed:

35 Likes

Reading the appeal transcript online sickened me with the attitude trainer had to try to justify what happened. Apparently legally an offender can be around kids,just not at a school/daycare. I dont think anyone at the barn knows about this,it happened 10 or so years ago. I’d hate to see it repeat itself. I cant not do anything and feel responsible but also in a precarious position with local dynamics. I’ve emailed usef and am planning to call safe sport today

11 Likes
  • Sarah Gilbert, Safe Sport Program Coordinator

sgilbert@usef.org

I would cut to the chase and send inquiry . Sounds like a violation of Gr 701. He is there with someone who is a member . He is subject to the rule and the penalties can fall on her.

18 Likes

That’s typical. Excuses, rationalizing, justifications… Happens over and over again.

Fortunately with Safe Sport it’s not so much about “legally.” It’s more about rules for belonging to a horseback riding club.

Please oh please oh please, directly contact Safe Sport. It won’t stop until good people step up and make that effort. Be strong.

13 Likes

Yes,that is who I emailed. Thank you. Not trying to stir up drama,just feel like people should know who is around their kids

17 Likes

Thank you all for the support. Planning on calling when I get home later.

7 Likes

yeah, those types never change.

2 Likes

Keep us posted please.

5 Likes

Have spoken with safesport and filed a report. Just saw the offender and trainer have been having summer camps! I’m sure the parents have no idea

23 Likes

It seems like that might also be worth a call to your local law enforcement nonemergency line, as that does sounds like it could be a violation of the terms requiring not being at childcare/school facilities.

22 Likes

Out them here, if it is a matter of public record. Who is it? Sounds like a serious issue to me.

4 Likes

OMG this is terrible.

Thank you for taking action. I hope no children have been further harmed.

3 Likes

Have spoken via email with the local state patrol/registry and it is not a violation that this person lives at a kids camp. Seems crazy to me.not sure what to do next except hope the safesport process works. Although I dont know that that helps summer camp kids. Can I even out someone like that here?

10 Likes

Yes, if you can post any news or legal links that is also super helpful!

I think you would need to be able to cite or link to the court case or restriction. The restrictions may have lifted by now. Also a man that had sex with a 16 year old
might not be deemed to pose a danger to a 9 year old and may have no restrictions on being around younger children.

If you can document it, you are safe to post without it being libel, as it’s the truth of a court document. I also think this needs to go to SS, and if the wife was complicit or enabling in the sexual activity with a minor, she might also rate a ban.

4 Likes

This is not really true, it is totally dependent on the offender.

People get outed on here with 0 proof all the time…

2 Likes

27 Likes