Unlimited access >

Rein-back in Grand Prix

I am not a Grand Prix rider, but I have written/scribed/pencilled a lot at GP level. I’m genuinely curious about your thoughts about the poor rein-back shown at Grand Prix level. I watched the GPS of Horses & Dreams last night, and they were all rushed and hollow.

Well, we’d need to see an example to comment. In geberal, if a horse is traveling on the forehand the rein back can be a problem. Is that the answer you were looking for?

If you’ve scrubbed GP tests you’ve clearly spent more time focusing on this than most of us. How was the backup in your shows and what kind of mark did it get? Is it move that contributes with extra coefficients to the total or kind of a minor thing? (I realize this will be online but can’t be bothered to go check)

Are you seeing other errors in carriage in the horses with rushed back ups?

2 Likes

I believe its considered a lack of engagement… but a judge should really speak to that.

i practice reinback a lot and find it a useful tool within a training session. Maybe other people don’t generally practice it much? I don’t know. Do you guys have reinbacks in your lessons/training sessions?

1 Like

This relates to Grand Prix rein-back how?

14 Likes

Where is their video posted from Horses & Dreams? Can you share a link?

1 Like

Given the quality of entrants at H&D I’d be quite perturbed if any were on the forehand. That said, there were some interesting naughty moments.

Writers don’t get to watch lots while writing, but watching the 4* GPS I saw many - in my opinion - poor quality rein-backs when the rest of the tests weren’t on a par.

I totally get that but I wouldn’t think I’d see it at Grand Prix level, especially 4* international.

1 Like

Because I’m watching rein-back in a Grand Prix test… :thinking:

1 Like

It’s on ClipMyHorse.

1 Like

My one very amateur comment is that rein back can’t be hurried. It takes a moment for a horse to adjust it’s mind and body to going backwards rather than forwards. Many riders arrive, stop and then immediately reverse. A breath by the rider can be enough to help the horse.

8 Likes

Well I don’t spend a lot (enough) time watching others at shows but for me I can tell you that the horse I show at GP has a lot of show nerves especially since moving up to FEI… no one would know it if you didn’t know the horse (even my trainer was surprised how different he was a shows when she was able to coach me a couple times last year)

Anyway, those nerves literally manifest the worst in the rein back. The horse must stand for a few seconds to show immobility, which for my horse gives him time to get more stressed, then I ask for him to show even more submission by backing up and it comes out as tension… he gets crooked and hollow and wants to drag his toes. Painful for sure since he actually has a good rein back but I can’t make him confident enough in the test yet… hopefully it will come with more time at the level.

For me it also comes out in the piaffe. So I can keep him confident and keep the piaffe traveling and take a hit on the score or if bring it on the spot and have tension and or he can stop and freeze. Outside the ring he can piaffe with confidence…

These things only happen in the show ring so I need to keep showing him until he gets more confident in there.

My first FEI horse got worried when I moved him up and I was so surprised because he had always been such a confident horse. But as they move up the levels and more and more submission is required, they can become more insecure.

17 Likes

I know! My question wasn’t directed at you. I’m sorry for not making that clear.

4 Likes

Wait, you have GP level horses? Why did I think you were riding at a much lower level?

10 Likes

i’m sorry, would you mind elaborating on your point?

There is no malice in my question. Are you riding and training at GP level?

6 Likes

my question to you is How do you get to Carnegie Hall?

My point is that a good reigns back doesn’t just appear by magic because your entered the grand prix ring.
I think it’s probably overlooked as a training device, or maybe not practices enough, or early enough, or within a session enough.

if it’s enough of a thing elsewhere as OP observed in her environment, then obviously the issue is practice.

3 Likes

So you aren’t. Neither am I, Im nowhere close. My input would be uninformed guesses.

How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Well, I don’t think anyone singing at Carnegie hall would be interested in my thoughts on their vocal training or performance :thinking:

6 Likes

ok, fine. You don’t have to weighIn if you feel it is not approved by everyone else that you do. No one is stopping you from not offering a comment.
And yet, you feel it is good opinionship to censure me. why?