Unlimited access >

Reputable Breeders versus Rescue

This is exactly the problem that I think the AKC was trying to address with the concept of limited registration. If a high-quality reputable breeder sold a puppy with limited registration, that dog’s offspring would not be eligible for AKC registration.

Average Joe may not be educated on breed standards, but is aware of the registration “seal of approval.”

1 Like

Eh…not sure I agree. You think Average Joe cares about registration or the AKC’s approval? I think he just wants a cutesy dog. JMO.

3 Likes

How do you attach pictures? Try as I may, I can’t figure it out on this new platform

That may be, however, if Average Joe saw two classified ads for puppies and one was AKC registered and the other not, I suspect the former if competitively priced would be where AJ would go.;

or if you have the image copied onto your clipboard (Cntrl-C) then you can paste it in (Cntrl-V)

1 Like

From this thread (where there are lots of amazing helpful tips):

1 Like

Thanks all.

This is Neeko, 10 weeks old. From a great breeder at a reasonable price. Parents and most of his pedigree are titled, health tested. OFA’d. both parents have stellar temperaments. He will be shown in conformation then obedience.

26 Likes

True, although the “Average Joe” who wants a registration certificate usually doesn’t care what organization it comes from. They just want to be able to tell their family and friends that they have a “registered” dog.

They can get an unregistered or “limited registration” dog from an AKC show breeder, turn around and register it with DRA, then start breeding and registering the offspring with DRA, and think they can charge the same price for puppies as a high-quality AKC show breeder.

Case in point is an acquaintance who is advertising his Cardigan Corgi for stud service. Dog is AKC registered and came from a show breeder who stipulated that the dog be neutered because he is tri-color but has one blue eye. Blue eyes in anything other than blue merles is a disqualification according to AKC standard. Said acquaintance didn’t neuter the dog and is telling bitch owners its offspring are registerable but isn’t clarifying they can only be registered with DRA. He has unfortunately attracted several breedings from people who either don’t know the difference or who don’t care. They hear “registered” and fork over the stud fee. And the puppy buyers hear “registered” and fork over the purchase price. And now there more than a few blue-eyed Cardigan Corgis running around the area.

2 Likes

OMG, what a handsome dude!

1 Like

And that is the $64 million question. As long as people don’t value the dog enough to research what they are getting, or enough to pay a fair price for a high-quality, well-bred specimen, we are going to continue to have uneducated and irresponsible demand. Which uneducated and irresponsible breeders will happily supply.

5 Likes

My friend is a vet tech near PA and she sees a lot of the Amish puppy mill dogs at her clinic. They have a much higher percentage of health and temperament issues. She does her best to educate the clients, and most get it. But not until they buy one and see the problems firsthand.

4 Likes

Newfie-doodles also seem to be catching on. We saw one the other day, and learned over the holidays that my husband’s cousin got a Newfie-doodle puppy a few months ago.

Can you say Whiskey-Tangp-Foxtrot?

8 Likes

I think there’s more than a little bit of space between willingness to pay for a “high-quality, well-bred” dog and “irresponsible” demand.

I suspect you didn’t intend to lump those who rescue and provide homes for dogs already alive in with the irresponsible. Perhaps you are only referring to those who desire purebred dogs?

2 Likes

The doodle craze. I don’t get it. Again, I think it’s being kept alive by cuteness factor more than breed characteristics.

Although I will admit to having met some very nice ones, so I shouldn’t judge.

8 Likes

You are right, there are many people who are not necessarily 'irresponsible" about their dogs but do not necessarily want to pay for a high quality dog. But as long as people are willing to pay a lower price for a lower-quality dog, breeders who are only in it for the money will keep churning them out.

And yes, I was referring to purebred dogs. People who adopt dogs “already here” are not among the irresponsible.

7 Likes

LOL, we took our Welsh Terrier to the dog park the other day. She’s a retired AKC champion and BoB winner, and always gets admiring comments from people who have never seen one before (as well as from dedicated “terrier people”).

The minute we let her in the small dog paddock at the dog park, a lady immediately came over and said, “OMG, she is gorgeous! Is she a Schnauzer-Doodle?” (Where is the roll-eyes icon?)

12 Likes

Oh yeah, I hear you. My favorite is the Weimadoodle. Weimaraner and poodle. Just why?

8 Likes

Back in the day it was just Cockapoos, and honestly they weren’t that bad I don’t think. Now it’s just absolutely -everything-, why the heck don’t people just get Poodles? They’re great dogs! Mom always had a toy Poodle when I was younger. If I weren’t so burned out on grooming I’d have a Poodle or two.

Our rescue dog, Maxwell, that my parents drove an hour to get (see previous local rescue shenanigans) I’m fairly certain was a Cockapoo that favored the Cocker a bit more. He was probably 16 years old, definitely well over 12, when I put him down this last November, so I’m figuring he was probably of some of the last Cockapoos that sold around these parts. That poor dog had the worst mouth of teeth I’ve personally seen, I had some pulled every year with his dental.

1 Like

I love a well bred Cane Corso. That is my dream dog when I’m ready for one.

I don’t think there’s much to be done about the low quality breeders, other than the responsible breeders doing the limited registration thing, and some do have it in the contract that if you breed a dog without full registration, they can confiscate the dog. I wonder how many of those get enforced though.

1 Like

I don’t think anyone has tried to convince YOU to spend thousands of dollars on a puppy. Just why it costs thousands of dollars to produce a well-bred puppy. Your continued comments about breeding not being money making propositions is what is fueling this “debate”. No one has ever argued that it was.

I wouldn’t spend my money on lots of things. But I can appreciate why they might be expensive to produce, and why some people would be willing to pay for them. Or, why people pay for things with no apparent value (I pay a personal trainer, other people get massages, some people use animal communicators, etc.)

8 Likes