Unlimited access >

Retirement barns suggestions, thanks in advance!

Hi folks,

Looking to retire a few (now former) junior jumpers. They’re all a little quirky so I’m hoping to find a place that fits the following description:

1. East coast
  2. Preferably in the south, but open to suggestions in the north too
  3. Run-in sheds
  4. Pair turnout (preferably groups of two; we’ve had a little trouble with group turnout in the past!)
  5. Low-cost

Many thanks for your suggestions! Please feel free to PM me as well.

You get what you pay for. It costs $$ to turn horses out in pairs and to provide quality care (which a retirement horse needs even more than a young horse due to its age). At the very least, a retired horse needs good hoof care (even front shoes if required) and regular teeth floating. It also often needs special feed as it grows older, and possibly Pergolide if Cushings becomes a problem.

I live in NC and it gets HOT in the summer and can be cold in the winter. My retired horses (4 out of 5) have stalls to come into in extreme weather. People who retire horses and think that (suddenly) they need less care and quality treatment are not being fair to the horse.

I was with you on your wish list all the way to the end. I know that it is financially inconvenient to pay for a retired horse – and you might not be one of the people who find a cheap situation and warehouse your beloved friend when he is no longer rideable, (if so, then this does not apply to you and you can feel free to ignore my post) but many people think this way, and it steams my brocolli to see old horses who are treated like a disposable commodity.

Off my soapbox now.

I think the problem is that ideally you just want a good non-show boarding barn (with those types of requirements) not really a “retirement barn.” So it’s a wide net and sort of an impossible question to answer.

I can recommend one in NJ, again not a “retirement barn” but a reasonably priced barn where the care is good and an absentee owner would not have to worry-- but we’re not in the South. Well, South Jersey maybe :wink:

Also, it would help for you to define “low cost” because people have radically different opinions about what that means.

I agree with above poster. There are many wonderful non “A” show barns that will provide genuine TLC for lower rates. Often they’re smaller and harder to find, but networking will turn them up in any area. Check references (their vet too), talk to owner/manager , visit and trust your gut! I’ve had clients move to Europe or the opposite coast while in school, and I treat their horses like my own. I know I’m not alone!

I paid $150 a month for my guy while I was redoing my barn. It was not a retirement farm, but it was not a show barn. He lives out 24/7 with two large shelters. He was fed 2x a day with food I provided and I had him trimmed by my farrier but there were other quality farriers who came to the farm. The grass was good and in the winter hay rolls were provided. The owner lived on property and she had four of her own horses. She would check him over every morning/night and she contacted me with any major issues.

So I paid around $200 a month with feed/shoes factored in. I trusted my horse there and I knew he was cared for like he was one of the owners own horses. I bring him over when I go out of state with the other horses for the summer and fall season for a month or two.

You can find places, just need to scout a bit. I recived advice from others on retirement facilities and I just was not a fan of leaving my horse at a facility where they stated that I would not be welcome to come see him or make decisions on his well being. Yeah, not working for me.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. If you need some suggestions for FL I know of a few that arent “retirement facilities” but boarding barns that are less expensive and meet the requirements, feel free to PM.

I would also suggest a regular boarding barn, or a smaller “no amenities” type barn (good pasture, stalls, but no arena/wash stall/tack room/etc). That’s what I provide-to bad you aren’t in the PNW! I charge a reasonable amount and provide top-notch feed, turnout and care. I like absentee owners who don’t need those things for their horses, just the knowledge that their old friends are loved and cared for. Seek out a more backyard (in a good way!) private board situation. Around here, that’s going to be $250-300 a month.

Sent PM with a suggestion in central Virginia.

retirement

It is all relative as to what the horse’s requirements are and needs. I have former gran prix and upper level show horses that are retired but their needs are extensive. They require far more care than the youngsters in the barn. Feedings are many throughout the day and are all different since many are losing teeth, can’t chew hay for fear they might choke, digestive supplements before feeding, legs need to be wrapped to go out for support and wrapped again at night due to many issues, some run hot and some have compromised immune systems where they can’t regulate body temperatures too well and the list goes on. This is proper care and the older they get like people the more they require. We come into the world in diapers and we leave in diapers. The seniors who were show horses deserve the best and whoever thinks it get easier with age is fooling themselves. Our horses are still getting the best treatment that they earned. Make sure these are all things the barn is willing to do as time marches on. If the horses we have were turned out in shed rows and checked on sporadically they would not be here. However, it comes with a price attached just the same as if you were still riding and showing them. Only their phase of life is different.

I can’t speak from personal experience, but I would certainly call Paradigm for information – looks like a very impressive facility, dedicated exclusively to equine retirement-- located in Tennessee, IIRC:

http://www.retiredhorses.com/

I have a farm that caters to retired show horses. They all have their own needs, some more, some less. I charge anywhere from $600 and up depending on how extensive the horse’s needs are. That number is for a stall, not field board. Most retired show horses that I have dealt with still really like their private houses to come into for at least a few hours a day. Especially the ones that got little to no turnout during their career.

[QUOTE=The Centaurian;7955287]
I can’t speak from personal experience, but I would certainly call Paradigm for information – looks like a very impressive facility, dedicated exclusively to equine retirement-- located in Tennessee, IIRC:

http://www.retiredhorses.com/[/QUOTE]

Seems like a great place. I do not know what their rates are, but they have clearly thought everything through and know what they need to charge to keep the farm running.

I have a few farms in my area that I would recommend, but what’s “low cost”?

I may fit your need. I am just west of Middleburg Va.I charge $275.00 a month for complete care.

Pm sent…

Yankee-Sorry I meant I charge $375.00 a month not $275.00 as I stated

www.retirementboarding.com

My old horse live out his days here and they are fantastic!

Sent you a PM!

Retirement

Just opened retirement facility in southeast Wisconsin
Taking in 15 horses in 2015. Have 8 of my
Own plus hackney pony Sicilian donkies
Mini horses and llamas. Site is www.knollandfarm.com
$425 per month including farrier every6-8
Weeks or when needed plus annual
Inoculations 25 acres of 160 acre farm
Used for pasture. Field board (5 shelters)
Plus stalls in barn if needed other services
Available for a fee

Hi there,
I work for a children’s home in N. FL w/ an equine therapy program. We need to find a rescue/retirement home for 2 old horses. These would be considered service animals–eligible for the kinds of rescues that police horses can get into. Everything’s full right now, of course. So I was considering a temporary boarding option which I’d pay for out of my own pocket (I’m on staff at the children’s home and the main caretaker for these horses.) One is 25. The other is 17, a former show horse that was abused and neglected (tail blocked w/ ethanol alcohol–the works.) Any ideas anyone? For rescues or discount boarding for service animals. Somewhere in Florida/Georgia? We are desperate :frowning:
Thank you, haybaby

[QUOTE=Lord Helpus;7956318]
Seems like a great place. I do not know what their rates are, but they have clearly thought everything through and know what they need to charge to keep the farm running.[/QUOTE]

Melissa, the owner of Paradigm, is a COTHer - She is “onthebit”

I would have sent my horse there in a heartbeat.