Unlimited access >

Ride IQ

Yes, absolutely! There are a couple of young horse programs to follow which would work great for bringing a horse back into work again. Going back to basics is great for horses who’ve been out of work.

Then I would suggest that you’re not riding your figures correctly or adjusting to the size of your arena compared to the narrator’s. :wink: It’s OK if they’re one step ahead—for instance, our indoor is a little longer than a standard dressage arena so when we are tracking around the perimeter, it takes me a bit longer but I just follow the next instruction as soon as I get to C or A. I use it on everything from a made 13-year-old jumper to a 4-year-old OTTB—there are so many awesome rides!

(I listen on Google Pixel Buds with the hairnet trick as mentioned above.)

3 Likes

I bought some Bose Earbuds that have a wire that attaches to the earbuds and a clip for the back of the shirt you are wearing. Then I bought some Free Ride equestrian tights that have huge pockets for your phone. I have to wear these breeches when I do the rideIQ lessons- the combination works great!

I absolutely love Ride IQ. I bought a big speaker that’s wireless with Bluetooth to listen to my lessons. Or I will play them on my phone with it in my pocket. I ride as they instruct, do as I’m told, and really follow along. I mainly use the warm ups as full rides. Some days I will warm up and then use a skill lesson. I just recently did a jumping one and it was awesome to have instructions to set the course including examples of how it is to be ridden. It’s so so so worth the money. I use it so much and have yet to even make a dent in the content.

3 Likes

Updating: I signed up for RideIQ shortly after I posted in this thread about a couple months ago. I’m still enjoying it.

Let’s just say both me and my horse are older, terribly out of shape, and have a ton of bad habits between the two of us. I also can’t seem to find time to ride more than a couple days a week at best, so our rides are basically just addressing the “out of shape” part these days. But I’ve found the app really helpful. There is a good variety of walk and walk/trot activities to help us get fit again. Some I’ve loved, some have been “meh,” but it’s been good focus and motivation. I’ve enjoyed listening to some of their podcasts from time to time. I haven’t done too much else, but between the rides and the podcasts, it’s been enough to make me say it’s worth it for me right now. It’s a better option at the moment than spending $$$ on lessons when I’m not riding consistently enough for me or my horse to even be very fit, though it definitely doesn’t replace lessons.

I bought cheap Bluetooth headphones from Amazon that are working well for me, but playing the lessons through my phone speaker while it’s in my pocket works well too.

Anyway, I’m really grateful for this thread because I don’t think I would have bothered with it otherwise!

3 Likes

Look at the raycon earbuds. Not only are the more affordable, the mold into your ear. My husband loves loves loves them. I don’t ride in earbuds because I have odd shaped ears that won’t fit any earbud

I did a bunch of the walk and walk/trot ones this week, they really have a great variety of them. The Gina Smith Leg yield at walk and then part 2 walk trot were great. Good for refreshers for schooled horses and good for greenies. Supple mares this weekend :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not sure if this is allowed here - there is a 3 month membership with Ride iQ as part of a fundraiser for Holly Jacks starting at $50 CDN (value $105 CDN) Ride iQ - 3 month membership | 32auctions

AND Ride iQ is having a raffle where by if you sign up for the free 2 week trial, your name will be put into a draw for $3000 tack shopping spree.

PS - I have nothing to do with Ride iQ, just passing along information.

2 Likes