So, since my last post “Help: Handling riding expenses $$” got a lot of activity, I’ve decided to make another with revision.
(If you’re unfamiliar with that post, I’d suggest you go take a look so that you understand where I am coming from)
I’ve most definitely reconsidered the saddle and I think majority of the people who posted on my last thread knocked some sense into me.
So, with that, I am again thinking about priority.
Correct, I don’t need an Ogilvy Half Pad, First Lady Helmet or Parlanti’s, I paid for those things with my own money out of my own pocket which I worked for so I am aware of the sacrifice it took to pay for those things.
I realize now that 3’6 is way out of my league but I am looking 3’ eq since I am at the 2’-2’6 level right now. I am going to talk to my trainer about figuring out whether or not lease is in the cards for me with what my parents are able to afford.
What I am thinking right now is if she is able to figure something out semi-affordable, that I could put the money I’d make working a part-time job toward helping my parents out with the expenses.
I am also concerned about horse shows since I am itching to get into the show ring, but don’t see where the money will come from if it’s all being put toward lease and lessons.
I am very thankful that my parents are able to pay $450 give or take (per month for 1 or 2 lessons and 2+ hacks a week) and $650 during the summer for lease.
The next topic I would like to bring about is that today the trainer from the barn that I left happened to message me saying that one of her clients who owns a nice eq/jumper who comes up from FL every spring for the summer is looking to have somebody half lease her horse while she’s at her barn.
She made the offer at $450 per month with 1/2 cost of shoeing (added onto the $450) which is directly in my parents price range. Not including lessons, that would be about the same price which my dad paid last summer for my riding.
So, I am caught between staying at the barn I am at right now which is a known-show barn with several horses and fabulous trainers or going back to my old barn where there is a lease May-October, but when that horse leaves I would be left with no mount.
Keep in mind, the barn I was at was a nice barn, I had just run out of options with lease since I had been there 6 yrs and leased all that she had available.
Any suggestions would be great.