Unlimited access >

Riding Expenses: Revised

So, since my last post “Help: Handling riding expenses $$” got a lot of activity, I’ve decided to make another with revision.

(If you’re unfamiliar with that post, I’d suggest you go take a look so that you understand where I am coming from)

I’ve most definitely reconsidered the saddle and I think majority of the people who posted on my last thread knocked some sense into me.

So, with that, I am again thinking about priority.
Correct, I don’t need an Ogilvy Half Pad, First Lady Helmet or Parlanti’s, I paid for those things with my own money out of my own pocket which I worked for so I am aware of the sacrifice it took to pay for those things.

I realize now that 3’6 is way out of my league but I am looking 3’ eq since I am at the 2’-2’6 level right now. I am going to talk to my trainer about figuring out whether or not lease is in the cards for me with what my parents are able to afford.

What I am thinking right now is if she is able to figure something out semi-affordable, that I could put the money I’d make working a part-time job toward helping my parents out with the expenses.

I am also concerned about horse shows since I am itching to get into the show ring, but don’t see where the money will come from if it’s all being put toward lease and lessons.

I am very thankful that my parents are able to pay $450 give or take (per month for 1 or 2 lessons and 2+ hacks a week) and $650 during the summer for lease.

The next topic I would like to bring about is that today the trainer from the barn that I left happened to message me saying that one of her clients who owns a nice eq/jumper who comes up from FL every spring for the summer is looking to have somebody half lease her horse while she’s at her barn.

She made the offer at $450 per month with 1/2 cost of shoeing (added onto the $450) which is directly in my parents price range. Not including lessons, that would be about the same price which my dad paid last summer for my riding.

So, I am caught between staying at the barn I am at right now which is a known-show barn with several horses and fabulous trainers or going back to my old barn where there is a lease May-October, but when that horse leaves I would be left with no mount.

Keep in mind, the barn I was at was a nice barn, I had just run out of options with lease since I had been there 6 yrs and leased all that she had available.

Any suggestions would be great. :slight_smile:

Good you’re reconsidering the saddle; as other said in the first thread, if you don’t have it and can cancel the order, that’s a lot of money that can be used for other riding expenses, and a less expensive saddle can be purchased. I think if you asked for the powers of COTH to help you find a good used saddle and listed your requirements, you might get some leads off the board.

Regarding the lessons/leasing/barn thing (and not knowing all the details), I’m somewhat inclined to say you should stay at the current (nicer) barn IF you can secure a horse to do the 2’6"-3’ stuff on (maybe a school horse and not a lease, if possible). One poster said to take all that money from your part time job, parents, and canceling the saddle order and apply it to just lessons. LOTS of lessons. One or two lessons a week at a real quality place if you can afford it will get you a lot of progress, if you’re willing to work your tail off and listen.

The problem I see with the old barn/lease situation is that if you and the eq/jumper aren’t a good fit for each other, you’re in for a difficult summer where you may be frustrated and not learn as much, and you’re horseless in the fall, which will happen anyway. If it were me at this point, I’d stick with the big barn and do as many lessons you can afford, even if it’s just on school horses with no lease (assuming they have something for you). Make yourself available in the barn to help groom, hold horses, have a good attitude, and generally learn and be useful, and it might pay off in extra rides.

Or search for another barn in the area that focuses more on the local/MHC scene and less on the A rated stuff. You may find their rates more affordable, they should still have or be able to find leases in the 2’6"-3’ range without absurd prices, and offer you a little more flexibility. They just don’t offer the prestige of a big, successful A rated barn. I’ve been out of that area for awhile, but they used to exist back in the day.

I’m glad to see that you’re starting to take a step back and think about things from different perspectives. However, here is where I’m a little confused. I thought that in your prior post (the other thread) you mentioned that your old barn did not allow you to jump over 2’ even if you had a lease. So my question to you is, if that is the case, and your goals are to move into 3’ equitation - how will this lease be any different from the leases you had before?

Horse showing at the A/AA level can be a big expense to incur all at one time. Consider the following when planning your budget:

1. Show fees. For one week at an A show facility for stall, classes, trainer splits, bedding, feed and anything else that will appear on the show office’s bill usually runs me between $1000-$1200 and I’m pretty frugal. That’s usually with a bit of prize money to offset costs.

2. Braiding. I highly highly suggest that you learn to braid yourself. If not, budget between $70-$90 per mane and tail combo. If you’re showing in the equitation over multiple days, that can run you $300+ per week.

3. Trainer’s day fees. Expect anything from $50 (low end) to $100+. If you attend a 4-day show plus have a lesson or training ride the day before things start up, that’s potentially $500.

4. Groom’s fees plus tip. Likely only minorly less expensive than trainer’s day fees. I have never been in full groom, so I may not be the best authority on today’s going rate.

5. Hotel and food. If you don’t have other arrangements for lodging, you’re probably looking at $1000 a week.

6. Trailering. A few hours away? $500. Another state/province away? $1000+.

Using the average price in these ranges, a week of showing can easily run you $3500 and more. Something to think about when planning and discussing with your parents.

[QUOTE=nycequestrian;7460035]
I’m glad to see that you’re starting to take a step back and think about things from different perspectives. However, here is where I’m a little confused. I thought that in your prior post (the other thread) you mentioned that your old barn did not allow you to jump over 2’ even if you had a lease. So my question to you is, if that is the case, and your goals are to move into 3’ equitation - how will this lease be any different from the leases you had before?[/QUOTE]

This lease would be different because it is not the barn owner who owns the horse, it is a personal owner. I have never leased a personally owned horse, besides the horses owned by the barn owner.

I wasn’t able to jump over 2’ because the barn owner/trainer didn’t want her horses to do anything more than that because she wants them to last longer, which is understandable.

The owner of the horse offering 1/2 lease does 3’+ and would be comfortable allowing the leaser to jump at that level if that’s how advanced the leaser is.

If you don’t have the budget to show then what advantage is there to being at a show barn? Use your horse budget to get you the most rides on the most appropriate horse and the most lessons with the most appropriate trainer. Not knowing the trainers or the horses in question I couldn’t say for certain whether the barn you are at now or your prior barn would be better. Fewer rides and lessons, but better quality training and more suitable horses may be a better use of your funds than more rides and lessons with mediocre horses and trainers.

HOWEVER, more expensive doesn’t automatically mean better. And big show barn isn’t automatically better than smaller barn that goes to fewer shows. I’m at a smaller barn that does fewer shows right now and I feel my trainer is the best kept secret in the area, wouldn’t trade for a larger fancier barn if you paid me to switch. I’m also almost three times your age and wouldn’t have been as able to recognise the quality of my trainer’s instruction without having suffered through some lesser training a few times.

[QUOTE=anyanicholson;7460047]
This lease would be different because it is not the barn owner who owns the horse, it is a personal owner. I have never leased a personally owned horse, besides the horses owned by the barn owner.

I wasn’t able to jump over 2’ because the barn owner/trainer didn’t want her horses to do anything more than that because she wants them to last longer, which is understandable.

The owner of the horse offering 1/2 lease does 3’+ and would be comfortable allowing the leaser to jump at that level if that’s how advanced the leaser is.[/QUOTE]

I would take this lease.

I really don’t think you are going to find what you want at the fancy show barn. I really don’t. There comes a time when you simply reach a level that necessitates either owning your own horse or having the financial resources to lease one, and the type of lease horses that will be coming through the show barn will be out of your league financially.

I would be a realist, say you’re interested in the half lease on this horse coming up from FL.

Also be aware of other opportunities. I’m a seasonal resident on the Cape and I don’t usually bring a horse because I don’t have a ton of time to ride since I still work from there in the summer. That said, for the right person in a half lease I could. So you never know.

I do think the price on this one may be a little high…$450 for a half lease plus half shoeing is basically saying the board rate is $900. Board on the cape is high, but not that high usually unless you’re in a fancy show program, so I am wondering if you’re paying for more than 50% but getting only 50%.

The half lease is only for the summer, seems your money would be better spent on paying for additional lessons using lessons horses that are jumping 3’+. How many more lessons per month would the $450+ get you?

Before you jump into the new lease at the old barn, you need to have a discussion with your barn owner/trainer and also with the horse’s owner regarding your riding goals for the summer. The owner might be comfortable leasing their horse to do the 3’ with someone that’s already competing at that level, but may not want a 2’-2’6" kid starting the 3’ on her horse. I’ve let kids that ride well and work HARD show my horse in some 3’ medals (he has done everything from big eq to low a/o jumpers), but would not be comfortable letting someone learn to do the 3’ on him because it’s not worth the wear and tear on him. If you think your goals will be attainable, you need a few test rides on the new horse to see if it’s a good fit for both of you. Don’t feel pressured to take the lease just because it’s in your price range - remember that the money could be spent on extra lessons instead.

Regarding the saddle, if you have any doubt at all about it, I would cancel the order immediately. CWD has amazing customer service and can help you out - they can probably offer a comparable used saddle at a much better price. I bought a used CWD in 2007 and it still looks brand new.

Yeah, showing is expensive and must be budgeted for. I took my keep-at-home horse to a 3 day show about 5 hours away and slept in my trailer -it still cost about $500. Showing Saddlebreds is considerably less expensive than H/J-entry fees are lower, no braiding, and no charges for lessons or “training rides” (at least for the horse in full training). For my in-training horse, it’s not unusual to pay $800 for a 3 day show within 2 hours of home, or $300 for 1 day. I’m fortunate that my BNT doesn’t charge day fees and doesn’t charge an arm and a leg for trailering.

I haven’t bought anything in the way of new tack for years, only stuff that normally wears out or goes missing like bell boots. My show clothes (from a high-end consignment shop) are timeless color and in style, so I have no intention of replacing them for something shiny and new, and I already have spares for my spares. To me a splurge is spending $30 on a new shirt!

[QUOTE=HomelessPony;7460270]
Before you jump into the new lease at the old barn, you need to have a discussion with your barn owner/trainer and also with the horse’s owner regarding your riding goals for the summer. The owner might be comfortable leasing their horse to do the 3’ with someone that’s already competing at that level, but may not want a 2’-2’6" kid starting the 3’ on her horse. I’ve let kids that ride well and work HARD show my horse in some 3’ medals (he has done everything from big eq to low a/o jumpers), but would not be comfortable letting someone learn to do the 3’ on him because it’s not worth the wear and tear on him. If you think your goals will be attainable, you need a few test rides on the new horse to see if it’s a good fit for both of you. Don’t feel pressured to take the lease just because it’s in your price range - remember that the money could be spent on extra lessons instead.

Regarding the saddle, if you have any doubt at all about it, I would cancel the order immediately. CWD has amazing customer service and can help you out - they can probably offer a comparable used saddle at a much better price. I bought a used CWD in 2007 and it still looks brand new.[/QUOTE]

^^^ This!

I think the lease sounds like a reasonable deal IF the owner is amenable with you moving up and IF you like the horse.

Who knows, the owner may well let you ride in her saddle. When I’ve part leased one of my own horses, I’ve always had the lessee use my tack because my saddles are fitted to my horses.

[QUOTE=js;7460233]
The half lease is only for the summer, seems your money would be better spent on paying for additional lessons using lessons horses that are jumping 3’+. How many more lessons per month would the $450+ get you?[/QUOTE]

Assuming a hundred bucks for half shoes, and a lesson rate of $75 quoted in the other thread, this doesn’t even buy her 2 lessons a week. It’s basically 7 lessons and maybe a hack in a month.

Saddle time is IMO more important in general than taking a ton of lessons, especially since most places don’t have lesson horses that do the 3’ competently because that horse is simply worth more to them sold to someone in barn than being kept as a lesson horse. That’s really the point where a solid citizen 3’ horse is worth more leased out or sold than making $20/lesson for the farm, especially since riders competent at that level are usually looking to lease or buy.

I take it she is in the Northeast. I would bet $450 plus half the cost of shoeing is going to take up most of her $650 budget, unless the cost of shoeing has gone down significantly since I left in 2005. When I paid $300 for plain steels. Shoes in New England are INSANE. So she wouldn’t be doing any lessons or shows.

OP, that’s not going to work for your goals. Sorry. You need to take lessons with a good coach to advance, and you need to be a working student to work off free rides to get extra saddle time to really advance. That’s how Good Riders Get Better. In short.

I based my response off the OP first post stating quote “I am very thankful that my parents are able to pay $450 give or take (per month for 1 or 2 lessons and 2+ hacks a week) and $650 during the summer for lease.” It sounded like it was $650 on top of the $450 already being paid? So I was looking at the additional $650 for the half lease being put toward additional monthly lessons.

[QUOTE=js;7460461]
I based my response off the OP first post stating quote “I am very thankful that my parents are able to pay $450 give or take (per month for 1 or 2 lessons and 2+ hacks a week) and $650 during the summer for lease.” It sounded like it was $650 on top of the $450 already being paid? So I was looking at the additional $650 for the half lease being put toward additional monthly lessons.[/QUOTE]

I took it as her parents pay $450/month for her to lesson/hack, which they then increase to $650/month during the summer in order for her to do a lease (so a $200 increase versus an additional $650 increase per month).

OP, which is it?

I understand BO#1 wanting to preserve her lesson horses, therefore keeping them at 2’, with a possible 2’6" thrown in occasionally. But I wonder…is she capable of teaching the additional finesse required at 3’ level?

What are you riding at your current barn? Schoolies? Sales horses? What is their height limitation (if any)?

Are you going to have enough money to show if you lease?

If you do not have the budget to show either way and are able to lesson on a variety of horses that can do 2’6-3’ at your current barn I’d probably stay and pour all my money into lessons.

Oh dang I’ve got to get up and move my chair.

Keep in mind that with a half lease the owner may be jumping the horse once or twice a week. There will be limitations on how often you can jump the lease horse. Flat work will definitely beneficial, too, but be aware of any limitations.

Six months worth of this half lease and you can BUY a green horse (for instance, OTTB) and ride as often as you wish. Something to consider. What a learning process that could be for you.

I don’t recall if the OP has even said that jumping 3’ at the new show barn in lessons is even a possibility?