Unlimited access >

Riding Expenses: Revised

[QUOTE=ParadoxFarm;7460723]

Six months worth of this half lease and you can BUY a green horse (for instance, OTTB) and ride as often as you wish. Something to consider. What a learning process that could be for you.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but if she’s considering college, buying a green horse now isn’t such a great idea. No guarantee that she will be able to take a horse with her or get her money out.

Plus, it sounds to me like her budget for riding isn’t really going to sustain the costs of owning. $650/month doesn’t take you far in NE when you factor in shoes, lessons, board, vet bills and misc. expenses.

[QUOTE=soloudinhere;7460221]
I would take this lease.

I really don’t think you are going to find what you want at the fancy show barn. I really don’t. There comes a time when you simply reach a level that necessitates either owning your own horse or having the financial resources to lease one, and the type of lease horses that will be coming through the show barn will be out of your league financially.

I would be a realist, say you’re interested in the half lease on this horse coming up from FL.

Also be aware of other opportunities. I’m a seasonal resident on the Cape and I don’t usually bring a horse because I don’t have a ton of time to ride since I still work from there in the summer. That said, for the right person in a half lease I could. So you never know.

I do think the price on this one may be a little high…$450 for a half lease plus half shoeing is basically saying the board rate is $900. Board on the cape is high, but not that high usually unless you’re in a fancy show program, so I am wondering if you’re paying for more than 50% but getting only 50%.[/QUOTE]

That’s a good question–Board at the barn I used to ride at is $900 per month, and they don’t have a fancy show program but do go to shows like South Shore Horsemen’s Council, Cape Cod Hunter, Field Stone Show Park and the Grazing Fields shows.

About 8 lessons per month, 2 lessons a week.

[QUOTE=js;7460233]
The half lease is only for the summer, seems your money would be better spent on paying for additional lessons using lessons horses that are jumping 3’+. How many more lessons per month would the $450+ get you?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=js;7460461]
I based my response off the OP first post stating quote “I am very thankful that my parents are able to pay $450 give or take (per month for 1 or 2 lessons and 2+ hacks a week) and $650 during the summer for lease.” It sounded like it was $650 on top of the $450 already being paid? So I was looking at the additional $650 for the half lease being put toward additional monthly lessons.[/QUOTE]

No, not onto of the $450.

[QUOTE=french fry;7460603]
What are you riding at your current barn? Schoolies? Sales horses? What is their height limitation (if any)?

Are you going to have enough money to show if you lease?

If you do not have the budget to show either way and are able to lesson on a variety of horses that can do 2’6-3’ at your current barn I’d probably stay and pour all my money into lessons.[/QUOTE]

At my current barn I am lessoning on their show horses (as suggested by the barn owner so that I could get more out of my lessons than with the limited schooling horses), which are personally owned and have people lease them; these are the pricey horses they have. ($50 with the one trainer I’m she has the lowest lesson cost; the other two trainers are $65 and $75 alone) with +$25 going to the owner for the horses use). They range from 3’-3’6 for eq. They’re very well trained and experienced horses in the show ring.

[QUOTE=KateKat;7460726]
I don’t recall if the OP has even said that jumping 3’ at the new show barn in lessons is even a possibility?[/QUOTE]

It is a possibility, depending on the student’s level and the trainers comfort zone allowing them to do so.

[QUOTE=ParadoxFarm;7460723]
Keep in mind that with a half lease the owner may be jumping the horse once or twice a week. There will be limitations on how often you can jump the lease horse. Flat work will definitely beneficial, too, but be aware of any limitations.

Six months worth of this half lease and you can BUY a green horse (for instance, OTTB) and ride as often as you wish. Something to consider. What a learning process that could be for you.[/QUOTE]

That’s completely true, but as I said earlier, no way out of my parents pocket will they ever buy me a horse.

I feel for ya OP. My parents won’t buy me a horse either. :mad:

Of course, I’m 40…

[QUOTE=anyanicholson;7460939]
It is a possibility, depending on the student’s level and the trainers comfort zone allowing them to do so.[/QUOTE]

In that case, with the options you have given and your goals I would stick with your current barn. Sounds like you would potentially have the ability to jump up more often, and riding a variety of horses is always beneficial. Plus, I think you would get more bang for your buck at a guaranteed 2 lessons/week that your parents are willing to pay for, plus possibly more from the money you are planning to make at a PT job versus basically blowing the budget on just the cost of the half lease, no lessons included.

You will be working also? and school, so consider your time constraints.

Keeping up with lessons sounds like the way to go for you to meet your goals for learning. I don’t think either situation is going to do a lot for you in terms of meeting your goals of chasing 3’ medals.

[QUOTE=anyanicholson;7460936]
At my current barn I am lessoning on their show horses (as suggested by the barn owner so that I could get more out of my lessons than with the limited schooling horses), which are personally owned and have people lease them; these are the pricey horses they have. ($50 with the one trainer I’m she has the lowest lesson cost; the other two trainers are $65 and $75 alone) with +$25 going to the owner for the horses use). They range from 3’-3’6 for eq. They’re very well trained and experienced horses in the show ring.[/QUOTE]

When I have a choice, I always try to ride with the best trainer available on the best quality horses I can find. I would be very likely to stay at your current barn, even if there were less showing opportunities.

You may not get to the 3’ or 3’6 medals but you will become a solid enough rider to be very appealing to college teams and working student positions.

[QUOTE=french fry;7461121]
When I have a choice, I always try to ride with the best trainer available on the best quality horses I can find. I would be very likely to stay at your current barn, even if there were less showing opportunities.

You may not get to the 3’ or 3’6 medals but you will become a solid enough rider to be very appealing to college teams and working student positions.[/QUOTE]

^This. As a high school junior, I had an opportunity to either a) lease an adorable but difficult mare and board her at a DIY-type barn with a so-so trainer and once-a-week lessons, or b) take 2-3 lessons/week and show regularly locally at a very respectable h/j barn with an old-school trainer on not-so-fancy but solid schoolies. I made the dumb choice and picked the lease. At the end of the year, my confidence over fences was shot and I ended up switching to a QH/Paint-focused barn for a year and playing in the western/trail/breed-style hunt seat world. It took me until my sophomore year in college to meander back to h/j land, and my skills were nowhere NEAR what they might have been if I’d chosen the regular lessons and reliable schoolies. I also deal with some confidence issues that I’m only now getting over, about 6-7 years later.

Your riding career doesn’t end when you turn 18 - it’s just beginning! Make the choice that is going to set you up for a lifetime of good riding. It’s really hard to overcome bad habits - better to learn solid basics now and slowly move up the ranks than to overface yourself and have to start over later. Plus, you’d be surprised at the sort of opportunities that pop up when you prove yourself to be a reliable hard worker. I’ve gotten some crazy nice rides and chances to show just by showing up and being willing to sweep the aisle or help the little kids with their polos.

Don’t change barns just for a lease horse that may or may not materialize. People change their minds, go to different barns than originally planned, follow trainers, horses get injured and need breaks, etc. Stick with your new trainer, work hard to improve, and take any opportunities that you are offered, no matter how small.

[QUOTE=anyanicholson;7460941]
That’s completely true, but as I said earlier, no way out of my parents pocket will they ever buy me a horse.[/QUOTE]

YOU could buy YOURSELF a horse… Just a thought.

[QUOTE=KateKat;7460971]
In that case, with the options you have given and your goals I would stick with your current barn. Sounds like you would potentially have the ability to jump up more often, and riding a variety of horses is always beneficial. Plus, I think you would get more bang for your buck at a guaranteed 2 lessons/week that your parents are willing to pay for, plus possibly more from the money you are planning to make at a PT job versus basically blowing the budget on just the cost of the half lease, no lessons included.[/QUOTE]

Right! Which is why I’m thinking maybe my best bet is to lesson, and ask to jump up more given that’s really the best option for me where I’ll get the most bang for my buck. Although I am not positive if I will be allowed to jump up. It’s mainly the girls who can afford lease and show often (who are off in the winter) that are allowed to, but I guess it wouldn’t hurt to ask!

[QUOTE=541hunter;7461149]
^This. As a high school junior, I had an opportunity to either a) lease an adorable but difficult mare and board her at a DIY-type barn with a so-so trainer and once-a-week lessons, or b) take 2-3 lessons/week and show regularly locally at a very respectable h/j barn with an old-school trainer on not-so-fancy but solid schoolies. I made the dumb choice and picked the lease. At the end of the year, my confidence over fences was shot and I ended up switching to a QH/Paint-focused barn for a year and playing in the western/trail/breed-style hunt seat world. It took me until my sophomore year in college to meander back to h/j land, and my skills were nowhere NEAR what they might have been if I’d chosen the regular lessons and reliable schoolies. I also deal with some confidence issues that I’m only now getting over, about 6-7 years later.

Your riding career doesn’t end when you turn 18 - it’s just beginning! Make the choice that is going to set you up for a lifetime of good riding. It’s really hard to overcome bad habits - better to learn solid basics now and slowly move up the ranks than to overface yourself and have to start over later. Plus, you’d be surprised at the sort of opportunities that pop up when you prove yourself to be a reliable hard worker. I’ve gotten some crazy nice rides and chances to show just by showing up and being willing to sweep the aisle or help the little kids with their polos.[/QUOTE]

Right! I’m trying not to forget that once I turn 18, it isn’t over. And for me that’s pretty soon since I’m aging out in October.
The trainer I’m actually with right who owns the barn focuses on her girls working hard in order to reward them: for example, giving them a better price on lease.

[QUOTE=Gorgonzola;7461269]
YOU could buy YOURSELF a horse… Just a thought.[/QUOTE]

Odds are, parent’s don’t buy horses for teens because of money/time/responsibility (university) and they would be pissed off if we went behind their backs. I’m a teen who isn’t allowed her own horse, and while I could scrape by financially to support one, my parents would probably freak out and sell it.

It’s very similar to asking if you can adopt the rescue puppy, and you promise to take care of it every day. In parent’s minds, they always see themselves ending up doing the walking, feeding, and paying for all of Fido’s needs.

In addition, I’m pretty sure minor’s can’t sign legally binding documents like bills of sale.

I will forever remember my sister’s friend, who bought the school pony she full leased with her mom’s help, without her dad knowing (he said no), because the barn was selling them all off. He didn’t figure it our for almost a year, because the girl managed the budget and supplemented it by her own part-time job income. Now the girl’s parents are divorced because of the pony.

[QUOTE=7Seven;7461548]
Odds are, parent’s don’t buy horses for teens because of money/time/responsibility (university) and they would be pissed off if we went behind their backs. I’m a teen who isn’t allowed her own horse, and while I could scrape by financially to support one, my parents would probably freak out and sell it.

It’s very similar to asking if you can adopt the rescue puppy, and you promise to take care of it every day. In parent’s minds, they always see themselves ending up doing the walking, feeding, and paying for all of Fido’s needs.

In addition, I’m pretty sure minor’s can’t sign legally binding documents like bills of sale. [/QUOTE]

The OP is going to be 18 in six months. She can then purchase her own horse, free and clear.

[QUOTE=7Seven;7461548]
I will forever remember my sister’s friend, who bought the school pony she full leased with her mom’s help, without her dad knowing (he said no), because the barn was selling them all off. He didn’t figure it our for almost a year, because the girl managed the budget and supplemented it by her own part-time job income. Now the girl’s parents are divorced because of the pony.[/QUOTE]

You must be very, very young to think that a happy couple would get divorced over one hidden pony.

[QUOTE=GoForAGallop;7461612]
The OP is going to be 18 in six months. She can then purchase her own horse, free and clear.

You must be very, very young to think that a happy couple would get divorced over one hidden pony.[/QUOTE]

I’m sure that a feud could come out of something like that; short of the long of it everybody’s families are different and deal with situations differently. It can happen Im sure.

Im aware that it’s legal when I am 18 to purchase my own horse, but by then I will be looking into colleges, and wouldn’t want to own a horse until I have graduated, and have a job with steady income to the point where I am able to not only save for a horse, but be able to financially support the necessities such a board, monthly care (shoeing, teeth etc) and training.

Buying a horse is out of the question until I am financially able, for now I am focusing on my goals for the summer.