Unlimited access >

Riding Expenses: Revised

[QUOTE=anyanicholson;7461745]
I’m sure that a feud could come out of something like that; short of the long of it everybody’s families are different and deal with situations differently. It can happen Im sure.

Im aware that it’s legal when I am 18 to purchase my own horse, but by then I will be looking into colleges, and wouldn’t want to own a horse until I have graduated, and have a job with steady income to the point where I am able to not only save for a horse, but be able to financially support the necessities such a board, monthly care (shoeing, teeth etc) and training.

Buying a horse is out of the question until I am financially able, for now I am focusing on my goals for the summer.[/QUOTE]

I never said whether it was a good idea or not, just that the poster’s concerns about you not being able to sign a legal document would soon be for naught.

[QUOTE=GoForAGallop;7461612]
You must be very, very young to think that a happy couple would get divorced over one hidden pony.[/QUOTE]

There is something very, very wrong in a marriage where one partner feels the need to purchase a pony and keep it hidden. I agree that the pony is the symptom not the problem but yes, I would end my long term relationship if my partner purchased something on that scale and felt the need to actively hide it from me.

[QUOTE=french fry;7462317]
There is something very, very wrong in a marriage where one partner feels the need to purchase a pony and keep it hidden. I agree that the pony is the symptom not the problem but yes, I would end my long term relationship if my partner purchased something on that scale and felt the need to actively hide it from me.[/QUOTE]

Well yes, that’s my point. :wink: TLDR: Happy marriages don’t just end because a pony was purchased. Already failing marriages end because a pony was purchased.

OP - first, I just want to acknowledge that I completely understand how appealing horse shows can appear from the outside looking in, and I remember being a teenage and wanting so badly to be just like the girls in Practical Horsemen and at the shows (including having the same kind of tack and attire they had). That’s a really natural impulse as a teenage girl, and there’s nothing wrong with it. However, as many others have pointed out, the reality is that the opportunity to show at that level comes from a combination of money, luck, talent, and a lot of hard work.

I know you are itching to get in the show ring, but I would focus your energies on taking as many lessons as you can and trying out for your college team when the time comes. Many colleges these days have excellent varsity teams or IHSA club teams, and they offer a really cost-effective way to get in the show ring. If you feel like new trainer & new barn are the best option in your area, I would stay there over going back to the old barn. One thing to consider is the in IHSA, you draw a random horse and don’t have the opportunity to practice beforehand. Taking as many lessons as you can on as many different horses as possible is the best way to prepare for that kind of test.

Best of luck! If it helps, I was definitely that kid who couldn’t afford to do the big shows as a teenager, and now that I am all grown up with a good career, I have a wonderful mare who is everything I ever could have wanted and more, AND we get to show as much as my budget & schedule allow. (sorry for the run on sentence)

Just to be clear, you won’t age out in October–you’d get to complete the show year as a junior. It’s your age on Dec 1 that matters for the next season.

Kudos to the OP for taking the rather strongly worded criticism she got on her other thread in a constructive way. If you can get the money back for the saddle purchase without losing $$$, then it’s a great idea to get a less expensive used model, saving the other $$ for more lessons, showing and clinic opportunities.

Based on the updated information, my advice would still be the same - stay at the barn you are at now and take advantage of the really excellent instruction they offer. If the saddle money stretches to include a couple months of a half lease, some shows or whatever, even better. But even if you “just” lesson - you will be riding at least 4 days a week, which is going to help you improve by leaps and bounds.

Compared to the old barn’s half lease option, you will likely ride MORE “just” taking lessons at GF, and have less risk. (Leased horses can and do go lame, “disappear” to shows with their owners periodically, etc.) And I agree with the poster who noted the cost of a farrier in the NE; it’s absolutely insane, even if the horse does not have a ton of special requirements. The $450 lease cost plus another $150 for shoes is going to eat up the lesson/show budget really fast.

[QUOTE=anyanicholson;7461423]
Right! Which is why I’m thinking maybe my best bet is to lesson, and ask to jump up more given that’s really the best option for me where I’ll get the most bang for my buck. Although I am not positive if I will be allowed to jump up. It’s mainly the girls who can afford lease and show often (who are off in the winter) that are allowed to, but I guess it wouldn’t hurt to ask![/QUOTE]

Work hard in your lessons, take excellent care of the horses that you are riding that are privately owned (like they were your own) and be easy to instruct. Volunteer to take on extra stuff if your trainer needs help. Be complimentary about the horses you are riding to your trainer and their owners. Those are the kinds of things that will help you get more opportunity to jump up!

I know when my horse was in training I was more than happy to let the juniors at the barn ride her/jump her up because they are all good kids who work hard and were always very appreciative (even if some didn’t necessarily love her! l:lol:)

[QUOTE=BABYGREENTB;7462583]
OP - first, I just want to acknowledge that I completely understand how appealing horse shows can appear from the outside looking in, and I remember being a teenage and wanting so badly to be just like the girls in Practical Horsemen and at the shows (including having the same kind of tack and attire they had). That’s a really natural impulse as a teenage girl, and there’s nothing wrong with it. However, as many others have pointed out, the reality is that the opportunity to show at that level comes from a combination of money, luck, talent, and a lot of hard work.

I know you are itching to get in the show ring, but I would focus your energies on taking as many lessons as you can and trying out for your college team when the time comes. Many colleges these days have excellent varsity teams or IHSA club teams, and they offer a really cost-effective way to get in the show ring. If you feel like new trainer & new barn are the best option in your area, I would stay there over going back to the old barn. One thing to consider is the in IHSA, you draw a random horse and don’t have the opportunity to practice beforehand. Taking as many lessons as you can on as many different horses as possible is the best way to prepare for that kind of test.

Best of luck! If it helps, I was definitely that kid who couldn’t afford to do the big shows as a teenager, and now that I am all grown up with a good career, I have a wonderful mare who is everything I ever could have wanted and more, AND we get to show as much as my budget & schedule allow. (sorry for the run on sentence)[/QUOTE]

Thanks so much for the advise!
Glad to know I’m not the only one who is in this position. Like you said it’s only natural to want the things that the more advanced and lucky riders have- I do feel as though this is really my downfall in the sport- I feel like the look plays into how you rank, but not so much when it comes to equitation.

Often I find myself wishing that I didn’t always want the up-to-date gear and accessories for riding, but it’s just the way I am.

I was on IEA (quit this winter because I thought my money was better spent on lessons). I am considering IHSA but I don’t enjoy winter shows where you’re outside the entire day–I’m the type to easily get sick, and have gotten very ill several seasons during IEA.

It is a great option for more affordable showing-but I like the idea of showing on a horse which I know and am comfortable with. I am itching to get in the show ring, but not that way, I get nervous easily when I have to worry about what I’ll draw.

If IHSA is the only way I’ll be able to ride while I’m away at university, hell, I’ll take it!! But for now, while I had options I’m going to focus on lessons and whatever else I can afford.

[QUOTE=Lucassb;7462626]
Kudos to the OP for taking the rather strongly worded criticism she got on her other thread in a constructive way. If you can get the money back for the saddle purchase without losing $$$, then it’s a great idea to get a less expensive used model, saving the other $$ for more lessons, showing and clinic opportunities.

Based on the updated information, my advice would still be the same - stay at the barn you are at now and take advantage of the really excellent instruction they offer. If the saddle money stretches to include a couple months of a half lease, some shows or whatever, even better. But even if you “just” lesson - you will be riding at least 4 days a week, which is going to help you improve by leaps and bounds.

Compared to the old barn’s half lease option, you will likely ride MORE “just” taking lessons at GF, and have less risk. (Leased horses can and do go lame, “disappear” to shows with their owners periodically, etc.) And I agree with the poster who noted the cost of a farrier in the NE; it’s absolutely insane, even if the horse does not have a ton of special requirements. The $450 lease cost plus another $150 for shoes is going to eat up the lesson/show budget really fast.[/QUOTE]

Thank you! After a night of balling my eyes out coming to the harsh reality that I wouldn’t be able to do what I really want to because my parents don’t have enough financial backing, I’ve turned around and thought well hey, I should be thankful that I even have parents that receive enough income to allow me to ride at all, and spend their extra $ that way.

So, my final decision is to stay at the barn I’m at, talk to my trainer once more about my options, and go from there. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=anyanicholson;7462845]
Thank you! After a night of balling my eyes out coming to the harsh reality that I wouldn’t be able to do what I really want to because my parents don’t have enough financial backing, I’ve turned around and thought well hey, I should be thankful that I even have parents that receive enough income to allow me to ride at all, and spend their extra $ that way.

So, my final decision is to stay at the barn I’m at, talk to my trainer once more about my options, and go from there. :)[/QUOTE]

I think you have made a very wise choice.

One other thing that I think worth mentioning, is that although I totally understand the desire to have a horse of your own - whether leased or purchased - the reality is that riders learn more by riding horses of different types. In that sense, riding lesson horses can be a huge advantage over riding the same horse every time.

Trust me, as a kid who was horseless for a LONG time - I get the envy of the other kids who seem to have it all, and have the luxury of their own horse, showing and so forth. However, later on… I got a LOT of rides because I had the reputation of being able to ride just about anything and make it look nice. And I won a fair number of eq classes based on how well I could do when the judge had the riders switch horses during the test, too :wink:

So take all those lessons, treat the horses, owners, and everyone else you come in contact with like absolute gold (meaning you find something nice to say about the horses/people/faciity etc, and REFUSE to gossip, indulge in railbird-ism, etc.) The good, hardworking, careful juniors and young adults I have known have ALL ended up in very good places, with their choice of horses to ride.

[QUOTE=GoForAGallop;7461612]
You must be very, very young to think that a happy couple would get divorced over one hidden pony.[/QUOTE]

Purchasing an 8k pony and spending $850 a month on board alone, plus other expenses is not pocket change. I’m not going to analyze someone else’s marriage as that is not my place, but yes, that was the trigger. I’m the same age as the OP, who you think is old enough to purchase a horse by herself, by the way.

[QUOTE=7Seven;7462939]
Purchasing an 8k pony and spending $850 a month on board alone, plus other expenses is not pocket change. I’m not going to analyze someone else’s marriage as that is not my place, but yes, that was the trigger. I’m the same age as the OP, who you think is old enough to purchase a horse by herself, by the way.[/QUOTE]

I think the point being made is that issues exist (communication or otherwise) before it gets to a point that one spouse is spending significantly and intentionally withholding that information from the other spouse.

To the OP, I think you’re making a very smart choice! Have a talk with your trainer to set realistic goals and estimated costs for your summer plan. See if there’s a possibility you can show on one of their horses, and if the budget allows, maybe qualify for one of the local medal finals if your area has any in the 2’6" range. Make it known that you’re looking for saddle time, even if it’s hoping on a schoolie or a rehab ride, and be happy to help around the barn in exchange for any extra rides you may get. I had my own (very green) horse when I was your age (still have him!) and was trying to qualify for the 3’6" medals but due to soundness issues, he couldn’t compete in my last junior year. Since I was at the barn riding anything and everything, I was always offered some really nice horses to show and get qualified. You just have to make it known that you’re willing to work for it a little, and I’m sure your trainer will help you out as best she can.

Sorry if you said this and I just missed it, but do you already know where you’re going to school? Is it definitely somewhere that gets cold in the winter?

[QUOTE=supershorty628;7463176]
Sorry if you said this and I just missed it, but do you already know where you’re going to school? Is it definitely somewhere that gets cold in the winter?[/QUOTE]

No, I have yet to start looking at colleges. That’s something to consider since my parents (my dad specifically) wants me to look at going down south!

With IHSA, you’re much more attractive to schools as a good rider at a lower level. If you’re considering doing IHSA, you may not want to show rated since it will bump you up to the next level and the pool of riders the coach has to choose from becomes higher quality riders.
Also, many regions show almost exclusively indoors. My region does, but I have seen schools in other parts of the country that do show IHSA outside.

[QUOTE=anyanicholson;7462829]
Thanks so much for the advise!
Glad to know I’m not the only one who is in this position. Like you said it’s only natural to want the things that the more advanced and lucky riders have- I do feel as though this is really my downfall in the sport- I feel like the look plays into how you rank, but not so much when it comes to equitation.

Often I find myself wishing that I didn’t always want the up-to-date gear and accessories for riding, but it’s just the way I am.

I was on IEA (quit this winter because I thought my money was better spent on lessons). I am considering IHSA but I don’t enjoy winter shows where you’re outside the entire day–I’m the type to easily get sick, and have gotten very ill several seasons during IEA.

It is a great option for more affordable showing-but I like the idea of showing on a horse which I know and am comfortable with. I am itching to get in the show ring, but not that way, I get nervous easily when I have to worry about what I’ll draw.

If IHSA is the only way I’ll be able to ride while I’m away at university, hell, I’ll take it!! But for now, while I had options I’m going to focus on lessons and whatever else I can afford.[/QUOTE]

IHSA in the northeast end their showing beginning of November and don’t start back until end of February early March. I’m not understanding why you wouldn’t have stuck with IEA as it’s the best of both worlds and would work in your budget. Since you don’t own and not leasing your riding different horses anyway.

As far as going back to the other barn, if the board is 900, you would be paying 450, plus half shoes, and I assume half shots, meds, dental, clipping,etc., what about a fee to the owner? Or is it a free lease just cover expenses. Unless you could ride the horse until November I would not do it.

Your goal seems to want to show, have you talked to your trainer about trying to qualify for the New England finals. Could be a realistic goal, or the Mass or RI finals? If so, realistically you have from now until I think early fall to do it. I would suggest having a serious talk with the trainer and be honest about your goals. I am assuming you are a junior in HS, but this sounds like your last year as a junior rider so time running out. Because once you turn 18 it does get murky what you can and can not do for extra saddle time. Good Luck

[QUOTE=anyanicholson;7463687]
No, I have yet to start looking at colleges. That’s something to consider since my parents (my dad specifically) wants me to look at going down south![/QUOTE]

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I realize my parents started me early, looking at colleges in 7th grade, but I’m a little surprised you haven’t even started looking! I’m hoping you’re a junior in HS and not a senior?
Time to get going! Especially if you’re not planning on staying local!

[QUOTE=anyanicholson;7461423]
…Although I am not positive if I will be allowed to jump up. It’s mainly the girls who can afford lease and show often (who are off in the winter) that are allowed to, but I guess it wouldn’t hurt to ask![/QUOTE]
Did you catch this thread full of good advice about how to make yourself invaluable and much more likely to get extra rides/advantages?

The above would is perfect advice for you then. Being a dedicated barn rat (and working hard at your riding outside of lessons too, e.g. keeping fit) costs you nothing but teaches you a lot.

OP, stay at the current barn. You have the invaluable opportunity to grow there and never be held back. As your relationship with this trainer grows and you grow, you may find yourself in a financial position to do more down the road. I am an adult many years your senior who rides at a barn where most other clients have a bankroll WAY beyond mine. I started small, taking lessons, etc. After a while I was sometimes offered rides on some school horses who weren’t being used on a given day, and even rides on client’s horses as I became friendly with them and if they couldn’t make it to the barn for any given reason, I occasionally got offered a ride. For the most part I was home with the assistant trainer while the head trainer was out on the road at the big shows. There came a point where I was offered a weekend lease on a fellow client’s show horse at one of these “big” shows. Of course I had to pay quite a bit for said weekend show lease, but it got me into the ring at a venue I had only dreamed of on a horse I didn’t have the budget to afford at that time. Fast forward, my career advanced and I was finally in a position to buy my own horse to play in the “big” ring… even if only in the adult ammy division :wink: I have never regretted being the little fish in the big pond. It has brought me opportunities I never could have imagined. It takes perspective. You have to be satisfied with what you ARE able to afford and not become envious of those who have more… those people will ALWAYS be there. But if you surround yourself with high quality instructors, high quality horses (even if they’re school horses you don’t own!), and work hard at being as kind and dedicated as you can, you never know what opportunities might open up… and from the sound of it, the at the show barn you’ll be in just the place to take advantage of those opportunities if they arise. These opportunities won’t come from a place with poor quality horses and/or instruction. I’d put all my budget into getting as far as I could with the best trainer you can afford, even if that’s just taking lessons.

[QUOTE=westie55;7464873]
OP, stay at the current barn. You have the invaluable opportunity to grow there and never be held back. As your relationship with this trainer grows and you grow, you may find yourself in a financial position to do more down the road. I am an adult many years your senior who rides at a barn where most other clients have a bankroll WAY beyond mine. I started small, taking lessons, etc. After a while I was sometimes offered rides on some school horses who weren’t being used on a given day, and even rides on client’s horses as I became friendly with them and if they couldn’t make it to the barn for any given reason, I occasionally got offered a ride. For the most part I was home with the assistant trainer while the head trainer was out on the road at the big shows. There came a point where I was offered a weekend lease on a fellow client’s show horse at one of these “big” shows. Of course I had to pay quite a bit for said weekend show lease, but it got me into the ring at a venue I had only dreamed of on a horse I didn’t have the budget to afford at that time. Fast forward, my career advanced and I was finally in a position to buy my own horse to play in the “big” ring… even if only in the adult ammy division :wink: I have never regretted being the little fish in the big pond. It has brought me opportunities I never could have imagined. It takes perspective. You have to be satisfied with what you ARE able to afford and not become envious of those who have more… those people will ALWAYS be there. But if you surround yourself with high quality instructors, high quality horses (even if they’re school horses you don’t own!), and work hard at being as kind and dedicated as you can, you never know what opportunities might open up… and from the sound of it, the at the show barn you’ll be in just the place to take advantage of those opportunities if they arise. These opportunities won’t come from a place with poor quality horses and/or instruction. I’d put all my budget into getting as far as I could with the best trainer you can afford, even if that’s just taking lessons.[/QUOTE]

I think this poster brings up a really good point. There is something important about picking a high quality facility and then remaining loyal to it even if you cannot do as much as the other riders (and by do as much I mean attend shows every weekend and purchase horses etc.). Do what you can and learn as much as you can. Trainers will recognize that and it will not go unnoticed. They will appreciate that you stuck with them and their program.