Unlimited access >

Rio Grande mare to whom should I breed her?

Hi, I accidentally posted in the Hunter Forum, but was curious about opinions on who I should breed my mare with. She is a Rio Grande granddaughter by Rio Bravo, bred by Charlot Farms. She is about 16.1, and an exceptionally beautiful mover and jumper, though she is most comfortable at a height of about 3’, she can do the 3’6". I would love to breed her to a stallion to have a beautifully moving/jumping hunter, w/ a bit more scope than her, maybe able to do the 4’ hunters. Any opinions? I have been looking at Cabardino but I think his jump is better than his gaits, and am impressed by Sir Caletto and Cunningham, though I tend to like the more refined stallions, as she is a big bodied Rio mare. Thoughts?

This was the response I posted in the other forum. Also curious about what posters think of my choice for a Rio Grande daughter (if you don’t mind me hitching a ride on your post :wink grin: )

My BO has a Rio Grande daughter out of a TB mare. She bred her to Sir Caletto and now has a 3 year old by him. She had a wonderful experience with the breeder and the semen was outstanding. She got a huge bay colt (will mature to about 17hh - I think this is the Rio Grande influence) with amazing shoulder movement, stride, and jump. He also has a puppy dog personality. The only downside is that he has the small eyes that Sir Caletto tends to throw (he stamps his head on his get).

I bred the same mare to Crown Affair and she is due this spring. I can’t WAIT to see what come of this match. Anyone have any comments??

I am also curious about Crown Affair, temperament is extremely important to me as my mare is so incredibly sweet I would love a little one like her, but maybe a bit quieter. She has a lovely refined head which I would love to keep as well. Is Crown Affair supposed to be an easy boy?

I did quite a bit of research (as you are doing now), and I learned that he is known for his “puppy dog personality.” He was a multiple derby winner with John French, but also won many impressive AO titles with his owner.

Here is the video taken this summer when he was admitted into the Oldenburg GOV book. I know he shakes his head a little, but remember that he has been retired for over 2 years and doing nothing but making babies since then so a little freshness is understandable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdKruTXhBd8&feature=share

Temperament was one of my number one priorities because I am old and brittle! :lol:

I posted this on the other thread

If you want scope, I wouldn’t waste time breeding to Escapade or Redwine. What about Cabalito? I have known many Sir Caletto’s that were difficult so if you have a hot mare I wouldn’t recommend using him. Balta’Czar would also be a good choice. I also really like Carry On at the stallion test, he is tall and leggy

Crown Affair seems to be a bit short and stocky and I’ve heard he produces that so I wouldn’t use him to refine but I have heard he has a great temperament.

And has anyone heard anything about Ragtime? Rosenthal is another I saw to refine, but would love a more proven Hunter/Jumper than maybe dressage…

There seems to be a ton of Ragtime babies on the West Coast and from the ones I’ve seen, they’re nice huntery types.

Crown Affair is 16.3. Hardly short and stocky. Just saying’ :slight_smile:

A breeder (a breeder of Hanoverians, so not associated with Crown Affair) gave me the advice that if a horse is not approved by his own breed association there may be a good reason for that. Some that you have mentioned fall into that category.

Good luck, anyway. The shopping is a lot of the fun!!

I have judged and “met” Crown Affair…his temperament is to die for! I do not remember him being 16.3 though.

I had 2 Crown Affairs for clients, both very nice but not at all alike. They were very much their mothers - type, temperament, etc.

FWIW - I would not expect him to be refining or add movement, if that is what you’re looking for.

What about Cunningham? I think he is a great mover but he looks a bit stocky, anyone know about his offspring though?

I have a Jupiter mare that I bred to Sir Caletto this year, and she is going to Rosenthal next year. Sir Caletto’s owner is fabulous to work with, and as another poster mentioned, the semen is truly fantastic. My vet was amazed. I have heard overwhelmingly good things about the temperament that he throws, which was one of our main considerations in choosing a stallion. Who wants a world beater that is hard to ride?

We bred another mare to Rosenthal this year, but she did not take (we knew it was a long shot). So, I can also let you know that his owners are wonderful to work with as well. Sir Caletto has a great proven record and lots of successful offspring. I don’t know of a lot of Rosenthal babies showing in the hunters yet, although he throws a stunning hunter confirmation, but my thought was that my mare is bringing enough to the table in terms of jump and movement that I am not worried. If I needed to add scope, Sir Caletto would be at the top of my list. Excited for you, we have loved having our girl in foal and she is enjoying it as well!

One of my client’s good friends owns Harmony Bay…he’s a more petite stallion so may be a good fit with the Rio blood. She showed him in the AOs and was WEF circuit champion frequently.

What do you know about your mare’s damside?

I am in the process of getting her papers resent to me. I have since moved twice since I have gotten her and they got lost in the shuffle! I do know she was bred at Charlot Farms, and they own both her sire and her dam. I trust their broodstock and their stallions are world class, but yes I am very curious as to her dam’s lineage as well and will post when I get it!

Here, however, is her father’s side, and his picture truly is an EXACT replica of my mare -

http://www.charlotfarm.com/horseshow_plain.asp?int_id=72

I bred a Ragtime filly that I adored. She had three good gaits with a particularly good canter, a really cute jump and she had the sweetest personality on the ground but she was a little sensitive under saddle.

If you like C line Holsteiners you may want to consider Chaleon at Crooked Willow Farm. He is by Calido I out of a Caletto I mare (same damsire as Sir Caletto) and is a more refined that the ones mentioned above.

Dreamscape Farm is bringing their Lordanos son Lestat home from Germany and he will stand in North America in 2015. I believe he is about 16.1, really well put together with three good gaits, a very nice jump and tons of scope. I was fortunate to be able to watch him work in Germany earlier this month and I was very impressed with him.

Vallado is another that comes to mind that refines, has three good gaits and lots of scope. Vallado has moved to Hilltop for 2015.

Good luck with your search.

How do you feel about Amazing, horsechick? I see you are from Cornerstone

Of course I love my boy, but would not consider him to be a refining sire. He tends to produce somewhere between himself and the mare in terms of substance. I did breed him to a direct Rio mare and the coming three year old colt looks to be smaller than the dam (who was a legit 17.3) and have a more attractive head. I love what he’s producing but didn’t suggest him based on what your were looking for in your original post. I’m happy to answer any specifics if you’d like to PM me. Have fun stallion shopping :slight_smile:

It would REALLY help to have her damline information. That is of the utmost importance IMO in planning your breeding and selecting a stallion. I honestly wouldn’t do much selection until you have that. However, once you have that, you might consider a Selle Francais stallion or even one of Kathy St. Martin’s German riding pony stallions – they can move and jump and I think are pretty fancy with wonderful temperment. Just a thought…
PennyG