Unlimited access >

RIP KIp Rosenthal

I knew shehad been sick. She said something to me at my first rated show as a judge that stuck with me my whole life. I have always tried to do the same for any riders that I talk to in my role as an official.

Wow. A huge loss.

a classic rider to look up to since I was a young rider

2 Likes

:cry:
I can’t emphasize enough the impact she had on my life. I started riding with her when I was 9 and riding Duckie - definitely the smallest person at Benchmark - she said I was too little to be a barn rat, so she called me a barn mouse. There were more years than I can count where I was her shadow. I remember her laughing at how the first time she put me on a horse, I needed a leg up from the mounting block because I couldn’t reach the stirrups. We went from green pony to greener pony and then a Cinderella story that no one could have predicted. Every time she called me, even when we spoke last week, she’d start off by saying in a commanding tone “EMILY… this is your riding instructor.” But she was so much more than a riding instructor. Kip instilled a work ethic in all of us. We were expected to be punctual, polite, and presentable at all times - no dusty boots when you had a lesson! She took an interest in us as people, not just as a paycheck. She deeply cared about her students and we all knew it. Kip brought me from the small/medium children’s ponies to the junior hunters to the Grand Prix classes. I’m proud to have been one of her “kids” and grateful for all of the memories, laughs, and wisdom that she shared with me. She was more than a trainer, she was a second mom to me. Love you always, Kip.

60 Likes

My daughter rode in a clinic with her a few years ago. We lucked out when the other person in her group didn’t show up so DD ended up with a private lesson. What a day it was! Kip was so friendly and complimentary of the training my daughter had put in on her OTTB. She zeroed right in on what needed fixing and was just great. We’d always hoped to be able to ride with her again. I’m so sorry for her friends and family. What a sad day.

6 Likes

Very sad news. Condolences to her friends and family.

1 Like

So sorry to hear this. She was an incredible asset to our sport and her judging and teaching ability will be sorely missed. Thinking of her friends and family. :cry:

Kip. Brilliant , funny and compassionate. The umbrella ride!

Kip Rosenthal was not just my riding instructor. She wasn’t for any of us who rode at Benchmark… she was our life instructor. Beyond the stirrup-less (saddle-less if you were really in trouble! 😂) lessons… beyond the endless exercises… beyond the extensive, fastidious flatwork… she cared about everything that ACTUALLY matters in life. She cared that her riders learned to have manners. To be on time. To speak properly. To maintain good grades. To develop a work ethic. To display integrity. And to be ETERNAL STUDENTS, seeking to always be better, in riding and beyond… Kip, I will always love you and thank you for shaping my formative years. All my big wins were “our wins” even though you didn’t love cameras and were a “private person.” I couldn’t find many pictures with you actually in them (you never cared as much about the accolades), so I posted a few pics here with the AMAZING animals you helped me make my partners in sport (Harley, Julius, Picasso, Quarterback, Top Seed). The one with Julius in-hand at (the old) WEF is when we were High A/O Circuit Champ… I’m sure my loud and wacky outfit that day made you cringe (haha) and we had a laugh about it back at the barn. Hope to laugh together again someday over the eternal rainbow. Rest peacefully, my friend. 💔✨ RIP

this post on Facebook by Jamie Krauss so moved me. Sums up what is lacking in most of our professionals today. When I was growing up, my trainers were almost like additional parents … they concerned themselves with the entire person I was becoming and did not just view me as a paycheck. They taught me so much about work ethic, integrity, etc. I can count on one hand the number of trainers today who actually give a rats behind about the character and development of their younger clients.

25 Likes

I got to ride with Kip only briefly, but it was a fantastic experience. She went over and above for an adult amateur of middling talent but a big desire to improve.

As an example, she would teach me several nights a week at night, long after the other customers and her staff had gone home. As a working amateur who had to commute to the barn from my office an hour away, that was the time I had available. (Her barn manager hated this.) Those quiet evening lessons were among the best I ever had and I learned quite a lot.

She was a wonderful person and will be dearly missed.

13 Likes

Very sad. Condolences to her family and those of you who knew here well, supershorty, APirateLooksatForty, In a way, though under sad circumstances, it’s nice to hear of the good trainers that meant the world to their students.

1 Like

A huge loss for our industry.
@mroades I don’t know, or need to know, what she said to you, but I can tell you that I have shown under you before, and found that you are a fair, impartial, and very good judge. I am sorry for you personal loss, and for all of ours <3

2 Likes

I remember being at the Garden the year she was 4th in the Maclay. I was in awe of her! I watched her on both her gray horses over the next several years, Good Boy D and Rome Dome. Some years later she came to the barn where I rode. I can only recall that she asked me to clean her Hermes for her! I couldn’t have been more than 11 or 12. But I remember how kind she was and I was so honored. And years later, I showed in front of her often. What a loss for our community. Prayers to her family and friends who are many…

5 Likes

Showing our age, not too many of us remember the umbrella ride fair judy. While I didn’t see it, I remember hearing about it, and I was often at CW Post in those days. I watched Kip compete at MSG and other big A shows for the last several years of her junior career on Good Boy Dee and her jumper Rome Dome, and always enjoyed her. Dee was one of my favorites of that era and Kip was a lovely rider. What a great loss.

2 Likes

I was very sorry to see this news yesterday. Kip taught one of the EAP sessions my daughter rode in, and was so encouraging to her on a difficult horse. I always found her so helpful and interesting to speak with-I was excited for my daughter to ride with her. I hope someone knows and can tell the story of the umbrella ride–I don’t remember enough details, and forget if I heard Kip herself tell it, or someone else, but it sure was funny and deserves retelling!

2 Likes

https://www.chronofhorse.com/article…-horse-clothes

4 Likes

She was an amazing rider and coach. My condolences to all who knew her.

I didn’t know her personally, but I enjoyed her vicariously through articles and stories. Thank you for sharing your personal stories. What a loss to our sport.

2 Likes

Here is the umbrella photo from the New York Times archives.

330F3634-6618-4FFB-AAF3-77F07FA7FF57.jpeg

9 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear that. What a loss. :cry: