Unlimited access >

Romal Reins

I hope this is OK to post. I’m looking for somewhere that makes romal rein’s. I’ve seen a lot on eBay but they are made in India. Something made in Mexico would be fine. Also, it has to be a company that makes them for larger horses (not draft horses). California Bridle Horse Shop has some but they are very pricey.

How about looking on Spanish websites? The ‘Spanish rein’ is a romal and prices start at €40

http://www.marjoman.net

2 Likes

Quality romals are pricey.

Scott has some decently priced ones
https://buckaroobusinesses.com/product-category/reins/romal-reins/

The Jose Ortiz ones on eBay are good reins. I have a set that I used cowboying for years. They held up and they were well balanced.

Remember to think about the length when buying. Consider if you’re going to attach directly to your bit or use rein chains.

5 Likes

Thanks Aces!
I have an Ortiz rawhide nosebleed that is really nice…I Plan to use the reins with a curb or half breed bit. This may sound stupid but can you use the rein chains on a regular curb or is that reserved only for a spade. My horse is very well schooled in a snaffle and and has had a 1/2 breed in her mouth once which she accepted very well considering she’d never had one on before. She’s also been ridden in a bosal. It sounds like you are knowledgeable on the subject so I’m looking to you for some guidance. Can you give me a length for with and without rein chains for a 16’2 hand horse??

thanks

1 Like

A few websites where you can explore different options:

https://www.sstack.com/romel-reins/c/3131/

2 Likes

Thanks reiner

You bet!
The use of the chains are typically reserved for bridle bits, like the half breed you tried, spades, etc. Cheek pieces with a slobber bar or slobber chains.
The chains change the float and balance of the reins.

When I show in cow horse events I take chains off and use the longer romals. A quicker feel to the bit. At home or when I was cowboying I used rein chains. We have some that 52" long, they work good on a big long necked horse and connected to the bit. We have some sets that are 48", depends on what horse but I can use them as cow horse reins or with chains on a shorter necked horse. I think they are the most versatile for the horses we have.
The Ortiz ones are only 46". A bit too short for cowhorse reins even on my little 14HH horses but they’re great with chains for a wide variety of horses.

These are just my preferences.

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

So are you saying 48’from the romal/quirt to the bit is a decent length? Even on a 16’2 WB? I’m looking to get a JW Salinas with Santa Barbara cheeks. I can also get the SB cheeks with a Billy Allen? mouthpiece. Guessing I wouldn’t use chains on the Billy Allen? Professional’s Choice has rawhide romals at 48". They look like a decent starter romal.

We used 48/50" reins with rein chains on ranch horses that were draft cross, 16HH with no issues.
I don’t know anything about warmbloods so I’m not going to say that will work for your horse. But I think that’d be a good place to start, 48/50". Reins are measured from the bit connector to where the romal is attached on one side, unlike rope or barrel horse looped reins measured from one end to the other.

You can use the chains or without on either of those bits with that cheek(Santa Barbara)and as long as it has a slobber bar/chains although the Billy Allen isn’t considered “traditional” by the mouthpiece but the Santa Barbara cheek is. Just as long as you aren’t showing cowhorse in the bridle class, the Billy Allen wouldn’t be a legal mouthpiece.

1 Like

Awesome! Thank you!

1 Like

One more (hopefully🙄) question

What is the difference between Oklahoma reins and California reins?

Ask away! I’ll try to answer to the best of my ability!

Oklahoma or California style refers to the button pattern on the reins.

Thanks. I was just going to delete this question because I found the answer. The California has 5 ring knots then a barrel then 5 more ring then a pineapple. This rabbit hole is bottomless. If you get a chance, check out the Professional’s Choice Romals and let me know what you think.

1 Like

I’ve never handled the Professional Choice reins. I’d be leery as most “feed store” brands rawhide products are lacking in quality.
If you can spend $50 more, I’d buy the special #4 reins from the Steve Guitron site for $195.
If you decide you don’t like them you’ll have a much easier time reselling and recouping your cost than the ProChoice reins.
I realize the Steve Guitron reins are 8 plait compared to the ProChoice 16 plait but I’ll bet the Guitron rawhide is a much better quality.

So the 8 plait are 1/2 the circumference of the 16? Easier to handle I’ll bet. Thanks

Not really. It just is the plait count, the strings of rawhide will be a wider in an 8 plait typically than the 16 plait strings for a course look and feel. (Beveling the strings changes the coarseness as well) 16 or 32 plait are really fine strings and takes a lot of time to braid and the price difference reflects that.
So that’s another reason I’m betting the ProChoice 16 plait isn’t high quality. A good set of 16 plait will be well over $400 depending on the maker.

4 Likes

Talk about going the rabbit hole look up the South American, Gaucho, Argentina rawhide braiders. Very intricate work with a ridiculous amount of plaits. Makes some of the US braiders look like it was done by a 3 year old child.

1 Like

Buy good quality. They are expensive, but properly made rawhide reins last forever if you take care of them and they have a completely different feel than do the cheap ones.

Rein chains aren’t really necessary in this day and age , unless you are actually working cattle on a ranch or are just choosing to go old style.

The chains were used so the horse could drink from a trough without rotting the reins. They were still in use when I was showing western but they were used in a show because of tradition, not necessity.

2 Likes

Thanks for the explanation. I can talk dressage all day long, but I’m on a different journey now that I find really fascinating. Thank fully, my horse is really enjoying it too.