Unlimited access >

Romal Reins

Thank you for that explanation! I always thought the rein chains were for added weight and feel. It makes perfect sense now. I love the vaquero/californio traditions.

Chains are for both of those reasons, cowboying, keeping reins out of the water while letting your horse have a drink but I was also taught to unbridle my horse if he was packing a spade so he could get a drink.

And also the chains add weight and presignal by creating more float in the reins before making contact with the bit. That’s why I take them off when showing cowhorse, like I said before, it’s much more direct and faster feel to the bit.

Aces I ordered the 8 plait from Guitron. California style

2 Likes

I think you’ll be happier with them than the ProChoice reins :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think so too. They also have a special for $300. That’s a little steep for playing and not knowing how far down the hole I’m going. Can you suggest any good reading?

I get it! That’s why I’m not saying you need to run out and buy a $600 set of Bill Black reins but good enough to have the advantage of quality on a budget.

Mike Bridges, The Making of a California Style Vaquero Bridle Horse.
Bobby Ingersoll, The Legendary California Hackamore and Stockhorse.
Both great books in my opinion. A lot of people recommend the Ed O’Connel books. Fun to read and great to have but I think you’ll get more out of the Mike Bridges and Bobby Ingersoll books.

2 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

You bet, anytime!

I have various sets of RR from Steve G also , really like them . All are Steve and his son’s higher end stuff .

I also have some from https://www.traditionalrawhidebraiders.com/
mine were braided by Chauca (Lima Peru) again higher end stuff . They have a wide variety also of romals etc . However not sure if there all by Peruvian braiders or some come from south of the boarder .

Like Steve G , they also have bosals and bosalitos etc …

1 Like

Hi Aces
I just got my Steve Gutron romals. I see what you mean about the quality. They are amazingly made and so much worth the money. There’s no care instructions. They feel like they have a waxed finish. Do I just leave them alone and clean them with a little water when they get dirty? Thank you again. I love them! Super value for the dollar​:heart::racehorse:

1 Like

Thank you vicaro! I received my Gutron reins today and they are awesome.

Awesome!
They probably greased them after they were built. If they start getting dry buy the Ray Holes Vaquero Rawhide Cream. A jar of it will last you forever

Thanks

1 Like

Good to hear you’re happy with the reins.
Just in case you’re like me when I got my first set and need to know how to look after them, probably the most important thing is to keep them hung up from the center connector when not in use, not attached to the headstall. That way they don’t get any odd twists or stretching. Just let them hang straight down.
When you bridle your horse, don’t attach the reins till you have the headstall on, and undo the romals from the headstall before removing the headstall. You want to keep the romals out of the dirt as much as possible. That’s advice I learned from a former trainer who was compulsive about reins in general, lol.
You shouldn’t need to worry too much about cleaning them. As you thought, you can just wipe them off with a slightly damp cloth if they get dirty.
Enjoy!

5 Likes

I actually called Steve Guitron today to thank him and tell him how happy I was with the reins. He told me these are the ones he makes for the working cowboys. He also recommended the rawhide cream. Thanks for the other care tips Reinerspook

1 Like

Which Guitron reins did you buy? Glad you like them.

The #4 special. $195 Steve told me they are the ones the working cowboys buy. Just what I was looking for.

2 Likes

They look great. :grinning:

1 Like

Hey Aces,
So my romels measure 52". Is there a standard rein chain length? I haven’t had the reins on the bit yet, but I’m just thinking ahead.

Hey!
About 12" is typical. If I were you I’d buy this style so you can play with the length of chains that feels the best with the weight of your reins. This style, it’s easy to take links off or add.
https://buckaroobusinesses.com/product/rein-chains/