Unlimited access >

Romal Reins

That would make the reins 64". Thanks for the info. You’re costing me alot of money​:face_with_raised_eyebrow::wink:

1 Like

Sorry!!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I know that seems pretty long but like I said before with those chains you can take links out if need be and fiddle with the length and see what works for you.
We have a couple sets of reins that long used with chains on some draft crosses and my husband’s old pickup/rope/ranch horse who wasn’t overly tall (15.3) but long necked.

I happened to be at the feed store this morning and felt a pair of chose ProChoice reins, you dodged a bullet!

Hopefully I steered you in the right direction and if something doesn’t work, at least you can easily resell and recoup your money with higher quality gear.

1 Like

I really appreciate all your advice. I’m very happy with my Guitron reins!

1 Like

Will you be showing at all?

Showing? Probably not. Not even sure what would be suitable to enter in. I watched a ranch/trail competition on you tube and my horse can do everything they did (with a little more off the farm mileage).

Eons ago, when I showed with romal reins it was required to have hobbles attached to your saddle. I have no idea if that rule has changed over the decades.

I’m sure @Aces_N_Eights will know.

2 Likes

They look similar this, https://rainbowsendtack.com/product%20images/training%20equip%20hobbles/HO13.JPG though can get matchy with your reins if you want.

It used to be a requirement under the USEF (then AHSA) rules. Just something to know if you ever decide to show. Unless times have changed and tradition has gone out the window… :slightly_smiling_face:

Good to know re hobbies. Right now I use the hobble ring to keep my gloves😊

AQHA, APHA, NRCHA and NRHA don’t require hobbles to be carried when using romals. I don’t know for sure about the Arab or Morgan shows or the associations that govern those.

1 Like

So do you have to have one of those breeds to keep compete in those shows? I don’t think there would be any place for my horse in competition as she is not a typical Western breed.

From a glance it looks like USEF has made hobbles “optional” in many cases (though I didn’t read the entire rule book.) I don’t know if they are carried by anyone anymore, or not. I haven’t seen a western show for decades.

I never did any cow horse classes, only equitation ,trail,and pleasure back then and carrying hobbles was a requirement. Time moves on. :upside_down_face:

I’m sure you’ll be able to find something other than “breed” shows if you decide you’d like to compete.

1 Like

You don’t have to ride a registered horse to show NRCHA or NCHA but those are the very competitive (the non-pro classes are wolfy!) bigger and more expensive shows for reined cow horse and cutting.

Not sure where you live, but here there are a lot of stock horse series at the local and regional level which are a lot of fun and the breed doesn’t matter. Depending on what association rules they tend to follow the equipment rules are relaxed. The classes vary, you can enter all or just some. Cutting, cow horse(fence work) some you circle your cow or rope it. Ranch trail, ranch rail, ranch reining, ranch roping.

Like skydy mentioned, hobbles were required on your saddle if you were showing in romels. I think for the most part that’s gone and it’s definitely not required in NRCHA.
I remember that being more of the pleasure/trail class thing? I could be wrong.

Sky and Aces
I live on the East Coast and am a dressage rider. My horse is a 16’2 hand Dutch warmblood. I’m moving on from dressage but it is hard to find someone to play with here. I’ve always been a closet cowgirl. So I’ve put away the top hat (which is no longer part of the dress code), the tail coat and the double bridle.

There is a farm that has ranch class clinics about 1 1/2 hours from here. When I spoke with the woman whose husband does the clinics she was a bit condescending saying I’d never be able to be competitive with my horse. I just really enjoy the new journey with my horse. It all started with the wade saddle she much preferred to the dressage saddle, but I digress…
I did ride in a horsemanship clinic a few years ago. I was immediately put down because I was one of those dressage women. (Until the clinician sat on my horse and loved her). Here is a picture of the “big funny looking kid” at the clinic🙂

3 Likes

I’m sorry you’ve been treated that way!

I’ll admit again that I don’t know a thing about warmbloods or dressage but from what my cousin has told me I wouldn’t be so quick to judge.
My cousin is friends with a 3 day eventer trainer out here on the west coast. She’d send him her personal horses that needed a break from competing. At the time he worked on some really big places. He claimed the warmbloods made great ranch/cowboy horses. They went all day. Big, strong, fun to rope off of and some were pretty cowy. He loved it when she sent him horses.

From that picture I wouldn’t know he was a warm blood. He looks a lot like the ranch horses we breed out here, running horse crossed on cow. He’s pretty!

I say go play with him at the clinics and the little shows, don’t mention he’s a warmblood unless someone asks to avoid the judgment and let his training and athleticism shine.

2 Likes

Ordered the rein chains and this half breed salinas bit. Mary’s Tack & Feed has a $10.00 bit trial program and free shipping. Well worth the extra $$! 1.6" port w/ cricket.
Screenshot_20210810-112607_DuckDuckGo|305x500

1 Like

Very cool!!

1 Like

I am really enjoying this thread and have learned so much! I am playing with my Paint and doing some ranch horse. As a former Dressage rider, I am loving the info…there are few here on the east coast of Canada with this much knowledge :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wish you were closer to PA. There are very few people around here that are interested in this type of horsemanship.

1 Like

Will you say more about what “float” means?