Rotator cuff surgery in 2 weeks - would love advice from people who have had it!

Posted this in Off Topic but I think it belonged here, oops!

Have a full thickness rotator cuff tear, heading in for surgery in two weeks. Having arthroscopy unless something changes while he’s in there. My ortho surgeon is great but doesn’t spend a lot of time discussing details, always in a rush and I’ve got questions! Would like feedback from anyone who has had it done

He says a full 6 months for recovery, doesn’t want me doing horsey stuff all that time, which is pretty much next to impossible for me. I told him I would try for 5 months for riding. He’s already not too pleased! I’ve read lots on here from other people who have gotten back on way before then! So when did you start riding again? Doing barn chores? Leading horses? For me leading is a biggie as that is how one of the tears happened (both shoulders are torn, need 2 surgeries). This one happened when a horse whipped it’s head back fast to get a fly while leading. Snap!

I am REALLY confused how you get dressed and what to wear! If your arm is in an immobilizer and you aren’t supposed to move it how the heck do you get any sort of shirt on? What do I bring to the hospital for putting on afterwards? It’s going to be cold when I get out too. Would I even get a jacket on? Blankets? Can you wear a bra? Could you step into a pull on sports bra and pull it up, no clasps?

Showering? How soon and how did you do it?

I don’t have a recliner. Is sleeping in a bed really hard? Suggestions?

Ice packs? I’m assuming I need soft flexible ones. How many?

How soon did you start PT?

Did you get frozen shoulder? How can you avoid that?

How soon can you drive?

Anything I should buy to help the whole process? Anything you did that helped or wished you’d done or bought? Anything you wished you hadn’t done?

Lastly the big question, are you glad you got it done??!!

Thanks in advance for the feedback

Perhaps ‘search’ this ~ many threads …then

[B]
my suggestion would be ‘search’ this … I had my surgery

nov '10 …

many threads

read threads & get a good idea

then * pm me any additional questions

the surgery is a tough assignment …many ways to help one recover and get back to barn life

but

one must follow protocol

and

stay in front of the pain !

It’s a ZITCH ! If you don’t !

• take meds before you need them - don’t be brave and ‘stupid’

if I ever need this surgery again ?!

well I will just have a coyote chew my arm off instead !

read threads … glad to help

Will have you ready for your surgery ~ promise !
[/B][B]

• can’t answer now ~ chores before a baseball game tonight !

K
C
Royals ! GO ROYALS !!!

Jingles & AO !
[/B]

I only have a second right now, need to run out, but I think you will be way too miserable without a recliner.

I used this inexpensive outdoor one and it worked fairly well:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/relaxer-chair/3263110?Keyword=zero+gravity+outdoor+chairs+and+beyond

The first week was rough. Recovery is long. I’m glad I did it but I really had no choice. It was too miserable to live with and getting worse. Not the easiest surgery but certainly not the worst, imo. I’m two months post-op now.

For ice packs, get bags of frozen peas. They can be re-frozen endlessly, conform nicely to your shoulder, and are cheap.

RE: the recliner…can you find one at a second hand store or rent one? Or get one of those big foam wedges you can put on your bed.

I had a partial thickness tear. It wasn’t as bad as the MRI made it out to be. My biggest problem was impingement so they augered out the joint a bit, smoothed out the RC and sent me on my way. My recovery was very quick and non-eventful BUT…not a full thickness tear. Luckily, the PA to the surgeon was a rider. She set me loose at the 4 weeks mark to “carefully” take up horse activities so I was pleasantly surprised and was able to do all my rehab at home. The results of the surgery were great. I have had absolutely zero issues with that shoulder since.

Jingles on a similar good outcome. But…it really does pay to follow their instructions and rehab. 6 months will fly by. It may not be that long depending on what they actually find.

Susan

I had a total tear repaired ten years ago. Don’t remember too much about the daily details. the good news… I am completely recovered and glad I got it done. No problems. The bad news… It was a difficult recovery. I was not riding at the time, but I can’t imagine leading a horse for the first month or more. Stay in front of the pain and do not try to tough it out!!! The first week is rough. I hope you have someone who can stay with you, cuz you will need it! Therapy is a must to prevent frozen shoulder and the exercises hurt! I really can’t remember what I wore during this time. No driving for two weeks. I slept in a regular bed. Do not try to sleep without the immobilizer on. Good luck!

Wear a baggy zip up hoodie or a huge button up shirt that you can keep your arm inside of. Someone will have to button you in, arm and all.

I work in an outpatient PT clinic. For the love of all that is holy, do what the doctor says and don’t break from protocol. Do what your PT tells you to do as well. The doc will tell you when to start PT (it varies from doc to doc.) It’s a long recovery, and nothing will enrage your doc/PT (and yourself because you’ll set yourself back a LOT) more than “well I know you said no lifting or anything buuuuuuut I lead the horses outside every morning and have been refilling water buckets, and I just had to ride as well…”

Just don’t do it. It sucks. But don’t do it.

Forget about bras for a while! Depending on where you are, you may want to get some flannel shirts. Get everything very oversized — go a thrift store and get things there. If you have sweatpants or other pants that are easy to pull on and don’t have buttons or zippers, great — otherwise, go get some. Ice packs are your best friend. So is a recliner and an assortment of pillows.

Anything shoulder-related is painful during recover. I’ve had two reconstruction surgeries on my left shoulder (one arthroscopic, one open), and I’ve separated my right shoulder (crashed and burned while jumping). Any part of your body that you can move will make your shoulder hurt.

I don’t remember how long it was before I could ride again, but it was a while. Don’t be stupid and do too much too soon. Take your pain meds religiously —it is much easier to keep up with pain than to have to try and catch up with it later. And do your PT exactly as they tell you to — don’t do more, don’t do less.

Had this surgery in July. You will need serious pain meds the first week. Hydrocodone won’t cut it, you need something like Dilaudid. I’ve broken a lot of things and had three babies, there is no question this was by far the roughest. I wish I had been more mentally prepared for that. I kind of thought I was tough and it would be fine. An ice machine was a great help. I could sleep in bed but needed lots of pillows to be arranged comfortably. I bought shirts that buttoned up the front and wore them for a month. A bra that closed in front worked. But still my husband had to help me dress for the first two weeks. After that it got better :slight_smile: !!

You can use your hand more that I expected to which was nice.

I have ridden with a broken ankle, a broken arm, fingers, toes etc but I did exactly what the Dr told me on this one. It is so easy for something to give it a jerk early on and then you get to do it all over. I was cleared to ride 3 months out – but only the super trust worthy hunt horse. I still only lead a horse with the other arm and I don’t do buckets yet. I have about 60% mobility now and very little pain…it takes a really long time to truly heal and regain mobility, 6-12 months. Be VERY careful about PT. I talked to one woman who had the surgery and then an over zealous PT tech tore it so she had to have it redone.

Good luck!! It is rough surgery but if you follow instructions (not easy I know!) the final outcome is usually very good!

I had my right one done in 2007 after I tore it holding on to the reins in a fall. I had the left one done in 2009. So I guess that answers whether it was worth it. The doctor was on the fence about doing the second one because the tear was small, but I had been in pain for a year, and could only sleep 10 minutes on that side, so it was time to take action. My answers to your other questions are in bold.

I am REALLY confused how you get dressed and what to wear! If your arm is in an immobilizer and you aren't supposed to move it how the heck do you get any sort of shirt on? What do I bring to the hospital for putting on afterwards? It's going to be cold when I get out too. Would I even get a jacket on? Blankets? 

[B]Buttons are your friend.  You can let your arm hang straight down from the shoulder so you can put a shirt on by starting with that hand and pulling the shirt up over your shoulder.  A nurse will help you dress to go home.  At first you will probably just drape the jacket or coat over that shoulder so wear something big enough to zip, button or Velcro over the sling.[/B]

Can you wear a bra? Could you step into a pull on sports bra and pull it up, no clasps?

[B]Yes, pull on sport bra or one of those as seen on TV "AH Bras" or even a tube top. [/B]

Showering? How soon and how did you do it?

[B]A few days later, covering up the incision with plastic.  Only issue is washing hair with one hand because lifting your arm up is definitely ouchy.
[/B]

I don't have a recliner. Is sleeping in a bed really hard? Suggestions?

[B]I slept in my bed.  But I have a tempurpedic matress that allows me to sleep on one side and my back all night.  You could just stack pillows or a reading back rest behind you in bed to stay upright.[/B]

Ice packs? I'm assuming I need soft flexible ones. How many? 

[B]Keep 'em coming. They usually give you a foam ice pack holder when you are discharged with a couple of flexible ice packs that you insert.  So one in the freezer while the other is in use.[/B]

How soon did you start PT?

[B]I think it was 6-8 weeks as they wanted it healed well first.[/B]

Did you get frozen shoulder? How can you avoid that?

[B]They will instruct you to take the arm out of the sling a couple of times a day.  Bend over at the waist and let that arm dangle straight down toward the floor and move it around in little circles.[/B]

How soon can you drive?

[B]Pretty much right away if it is your left shoulder.  If it is your right shoulder it takes a few weeks, especially if you have a standard stick shift.[/B]

Anything I should buy to help the whole process? Anything you did that helped or wished you'd done or bought? Anything you wished you hadn't done?

[B]If you live alone, it is kind of hard to open jars, and wine bottles etc.  But an electric can opener helps, and there are such things as electric jar openers.  You can do wine by holding the bottle between your legs. [/B]

Lastly the big question, are you glad you got it done??!!

[B]It's not fun, but it goes by quick.  Very worth doing for me--- twice.[/B]

The most critical thing is taking care AFTER the surgery…do your PT religiously,don’t overdo,even when you think it feels good or okay.If you don’t heed to this you will be back in the OR.For me the thing I hated most was the shoulder block that didn’t wear off for a full day.I hated feeling,or not feeling,a dead arm for an entire day. I also had facial surgery shortly before my rotator so I was a real mess…lol Recliner is required or lots and lots of propping pillows.My doc wouldn’t evern give me Percocet.So make sure you are hooked up with proper meds.The first few days are painful but it eases up pretty much after that.One other big issue for me…I have long hair and couldn’t put it up…sucks having hubby try to do a ponytail argh.

Make sure you start pain Meds before the shoulder block wears off, otherwise the pain will be overwhelming and it will take way too long to get ahead of it. Good advice here about following doc and PT directions best of luck with all this

This is an older thread, how did the surgery go and what about the rehab?

To me it seems as if everyone has given you the same advice I would with one exception --the dr. who did mine, also rode horses. He was fine with me riding after 4 weeks as long as I rode my QH who does not work on the bit. W, my QH, is a reiner/foxhunter. But the reiner training has him completely on a looped rein --always and forever --he does not touch the bit.

Clearly what the drs want to avoid is reinjury by pulling on the freshly fixed joint. I rode one handed, with my repaired arm in a sling (at that point). I only walked around until I was out of the sling --I think that might have been 8-12 weeks. I did no training or working with horses in any kind of physical manner. I just rode my QH and worked on things with my legs like lateral work and transitions from walk to whoa, whoa to back, turns --but not spins. We improved our side passes. It wasn’t great fun, but it was better than not riding at all.

Foxglove

I am 2 weeks post op after they cut and reattached the bicep, fixed a cuff tear, repaired the torn labrum, and cleaned out a bursa. For the love of all things holy, this sucks!!! My ortho didn’t say much about how painful it is. He made it sound easy peazy. It wasn’t until I was in preop when the nurse stated this was one of the most painful surgeries you can have. Uh, what?
Dr said 2 weeks in sling. Post op I learn damage greater than expected and looking at 6-8 weeks. I guess I didn’t have a choice, but damn this is a drag.
I have learned that pump bottles for shampoo and soap work best. The recliner is my friend.
My horses have been incredible with it. I put them in last night, first time in 2 weeks I touched them. They all smelled the sling, then stood quietly with heads down as I fumbled halters on one handed. Then each one walked in very carefully, no pulling, no pushing. If I slowed, they slowed.
I know I put manners on them, but I was dumbfounded. They really do know.

Sorry it was so painful for you.

I didn’t have hardly any pain, merely a bit of discomfort.
I spent the first few days with ice on it practically 24/7, that kept the pain down.
They did repair the bicep main tendon, cut a spur out that had been cutting it and fixed the attachment to the bone with some anchors.

You are right, my horses also were very careful and my old one took care to keep the young ones away from me.

Also, my arm seemed to have a mind of it’s own and kept me turned around protecting it.

I hope you heal fine and end up just about 100%, full use, as I have.

Thanks. I hope so too. Right now, I’m worried that it might not come all the way back. Hopefully, that’s just because I’m only 2 weeks into it.

[QUOTE=Lady Counselor;8497497]
Thanks. I hope so too. Right now, I’m worried that it might not come all the way back. Hopefully, that’s just because I’m only 2 weeks into it.[/QUOTE]

Once in a while I have some pain on the bottom of the bicep, referred pain is what the PT called it, from the repair above by the shoulder, but is infrequent.

Other than that, all is working just fine.

I did the PT myself at home, living way out of town and no one to drive me to PT, the Dr said he trusted me with that.
I had to do the 5-10 minutes of light exercises 10 times a day, on the hour, every hour, for the first week or two, then three times a day when more involved, etc.

Therapy is important to keep it from freezing up, just don’t overdo it, that is not good either, may tear up some of the repair.

It will take some time, but hopefully it will be worth it all with a like new shoulder to use for many years.

Be patient ``` most ROM will return … do PT exactly as rec …

Depending on the surgery and your age and …most ROM will return if you follow PT and are patient ```very patient !

Some say one year some Drs. say one and 1/2 year window in order to make that difference of regaining full ROM…

in other words … best to KEEP doing those PT exercises for over a year … especially of a little stiffness is present or a bit of discomfort…

KEEP Going ~~~ promise it is well worth every little bit of ROM that you regain…

Regaining full strength seems to be the area of difficulty often times …

I can no longer fill the back wall hay racks from the aisle as in over the stalls and to the back wall corner. But most people could never do that…college hoops :lol:

PT is often tht to be ‘not working’ … KEEP GOING !

as all of a sudden like a miracle you’ll discover that PT really did ensure your ROM returned.

Good Luck

and when in doubt do PT exercises … I set my pulleys up in the house and in the barn…

and never ever ever underestimate the benefits of
[B][U]ICING before PT after PT during PT whenever !!!

when in doubt ICE !!!
[/U]

Yes !!! many say and many agree RC surgery is one of the most painful surgeries / any shoulder surgery actually …

while i am glad I had it done [/B]:yes:… if i was faced again … perhaps having a coyote eat off my arm would be better :lol::winkgrin:

I was fine the first day then OMG ! the pain was awful for 48 hrs but disappeared as suddenly as it had appeared and never returned ! :smiley:

Hang in there you may hate that immobilizer now but once you can take it off you will miss it’s support for awhile ~

• happy to answer ?s … I remember it all 11-2-10 :eek:

[QUOTE=Zu Zu;8497636]

Depending on the surgery and your age and …most ROM will return if you follow PT and are patient ```very patient !

Some say one year some Drs. say one and 1/2 year window in order to make that difference of regaining full ROM…

in other words … best to KEEP doing those PT exercises for over a year … especially of a little stiffness is present or a bit of discomfort…

KEEP Going ~~~ promise it is well worth every little bit of ROM that you regain…

Regaining full strength seems to be the area of difficulty often times …

I can no longer fill the back wall hay racks from the aisle as in over the stalls and to the back wall corner. But most people could never do that…college hoops :lol:

PT is often tht to be ‘not working’ … KEEP GOING !

as all of a sudden like a miracle you’ll discover that PT really did ensure your ROM returned.

Good Luck

and when in doubt do PT exercises … I set my pulleys up in the house and in the barn…

and never ever ever underestimate the benefits of
[B][U]ICING before PT after PT during PT whenever !!!

when in doubt ICE !!!
[/U]

Yes !!! many say and many agree RC surgery is one of the most painful surgeries / any shoulder surgery actually …

while i am glad I had it done [/B]:yes:… if i was faced again … perhaps having a coyote eat off my arm would be better :lol::winkgrin:

I was fine the first day then OMG ! the pain was awful for 48 hrs but disappeared as suddenly as it had appeared and never returned ! :smiley:

Hang in there you may hate that immobilizer now but once you can take it off you will miss it’s support for awhile ~

• happy to answer ?s … I remember it all 11-2-10 :eek:[/QUOTE]

I think my surgery and rehab did so well because Zu-Zu had coached me carefully about what to expect and what to do, in detail and that is what I did and it worked beautifully.