Unlimited access >

Runhappy Documentary

I just came across this on Youtube and enjoyed it. Amazing how clean this horse ran. And his amazing retirement story. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBkSmA4N-ec

Thanks, that was a good watch :smiley:

That was great. I really enjoyed it. Thank you for sharing it.

Thanks so much! It was so good!

Good listening and watching:).

Thank you. Nice representation of form to function. Something us horse breeders always need to stay true to.

1 Like

One of the things that is interesting to me about Runhappy is how much he stamps his offspring. They all look like him.

3 Likes

LaurieB how successful is he as a sire?

First foals born in 2018 so no real stats yet.

So far, not much. Granted it’s been an odd year for racing (and everything else.) But out of ~25 first crop runners, he has only had 2 winners to date.

One thing that documentary illustrates, however, is how green Runhappy still was at the end of his 2yo year. (Runhappy’s oldest offspring are 2 this year.) So at the point where his first 25 foals have already raced, Runhappy himself had yet to make a single start. Physically, his offspring look great, so I’m hoping they will step up next year. Just like he did. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

In horseracing, there are stats for everything. :slight_smile:

This is the First Crop Sire List–67 TB stallions who have their first runners this year, ranked by progeny earnings: https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac
olumn=earnings

Thank you for this. I absolutely love, LOVE this horse

LaurieB. weren’t you the one who has a foal by RunHappy?

Yes, we have a yearling filly by him named Zing. :slight_smile:

[ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“large”,“data-attachmentid”:10744439}[/ATTACH]

Zing-2020-9-4.jpg

8 Likes

What stage of ‘yearling’ was she when photo taken? Who’s the dam, and dam-sire?
She’s lovely! Nice feet. Butt-high stage. I want to see her when she grows into her shoulder - her non-withers are already long. I am excited. Are you keeping her?

1 Like

The picture was taken last month, when she was 17 months old. As you can see, she still has a lot of maturing to do. Her dam sire is Lemon Drop Kid. Yes, we are keeping her to race.

3 Likes

Wonderful! I hope you’ll keep us posted.

I hate how they portrayed Maria here. The filmmakers never even contacted her for a comment or to be part of the film. Then they show a newspaper clipping that is about her father and is not associated with her. She has posted screenshots of the text exchange with the vet on the morning in question. Then the Team Mac fans harassed her for months and months after that. The Gallery Team has never refuted what was said, they just said she “Wasn’t a team player.” She may not be innocent, but the documentary should have at least ATTEMPTED to talk to her. It’s such a shame that such a bright young star was railroaded and then keeps getting crapped on. Rant Over.

I don’t know

My perception of the entire situation has changed several times. I don’t know the whole truth. From your words, you seem to have more knowledge of the situation.

While she is undoubtedly a large part of Runhappy’s story and success, my understanding is that she still has an active warrant for her arrest for multiple charges of animal cruelty in Kentucky. I can understand why the documentary crew would want no part of that. Not to mention the fact that she probably doesn’t want to be in Kentucky filming interviews if trying to avoid said warrant.

8 Likes

Not sure what you’re connection to Maria is, but she sure as heck isn’t some innocent that was taken advantage of.