Unlimited access >

Sad News for Devon

Like others with money and clout, he worked his way up from other positions and owns enough horses and farms that nobody would question his appointment or interest in the job, at least not from the outside.

2 Likes

OOpppss!

https://www.facebook.com/dailylocalnews/posts/wayne-william-grafton-67-of-the-1100-block-of-ryan-road-in-unionville-was-charge/10157016385195051/

That story is from 2016

So he wasn’t DUI?

The Docket system shows no criminal cases with his name on them. Just two civil matters where he was the plaintiff.

Not sure if the cancellation of Brandywine is in any way related but regardless it is another blow to the horse community

3 Likes

Interesting! Perhaps he was able to work his way out of it

Felt this one like a gut punch, but pretty confident it’s because JHF is going at Traverse City the same week.

Which is also a shame because it’s much easier to get into JHF than Devon, which gives hundreds of kids a chance to ride in the Dixon Oval they otherwise would never have had.

6 Likes

It’s possible that this is a power play on David and Peter’s part. Put us on the BOD, and give us a say, or watch your show go down the tubes. The question is whether Grafton is willing to give in, if this is the case. Does he want Devon going down on his watch?

Just conjecture on my part

1 Like

That is what I was and sort of secretly still am assuming/hoping.

1 Like

I understand from others who know more than I do about Devon that Peter has been in his role for 49 years. While I completely understand and share the concerns about the future of the site and the show, I will just mention that at some point the show was going to need to turn over the reins of his role to a new person.

If the BoD is interested in keeping the show, where it is, they should be developing succession plans for all the key players. Including Grafton.

3 Likes

I think there is a big difference between a retirement that is planned out well in advance to insure the new people are up to speed and can transition seamlessly while maybe staying on in a reduced capacity for a time being afterwards to consult and what happened here. Their roles were diminished to the point of ineffectiveness where there was more or less nothing to transition from.

3 Likes

I agree with their roles, in terms of big picture issues, were non-existent. However, in terms of the logistics and organization of the show on a daily basis, their experience is invaluable. It’s more than a three ring circus to keep going, with the number of horses of different breeds and divisions- it’s a scheduling nightmare. Grafton isn’t going to be able to step in and run that show.

1 Like

Not a powerplay to get on the Board. They had had enough of Grafton not including them on the big decisions and ignoring their suggestions. After the coup of 2016 when Wayne took over as CEO there was a President named Rich O’Donnell (pretty sure on the name) for a bit. When he resigned Grafton assumed both positions and now appoints his toadies to the Board and pretty much does what he wants. Let’s just hope there is a new coup in the works or Devon’s standing is going to tumble.

One thing that has increased under his watch is the amount of booze you can buy as you walk around the grounds. It’s nuts. As for his DUI? Not exactly sure how that disappeared but this is the land of the Old Boy Network so these things happen.

4 Likes

Let’s hope for an orderly coup. If Peter and Dave can help to bring about some serious change, it would be great. We need Devon to stay Devon!

3 Likes
2 Likes

I don’t know either one so can’t comment on their appointments but I truly wish them the best of luck because Devon is a treasure I never want to lose

3 Likes

I have showed in the Chicago area and can say that Patrick Boyle has done a fabulous job with Showplace over the years, I believe that Devon is in very capable hands.

4 Likes

Good news that they found experienced managers. Bad new is that they could be Grafton’s tools, now. Peter and David never could have been made to be his tools.

Patrick Boyle is also the one who took over as the show manager at Harrisburg last year, which is no mean feat.

3 Likes